Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:16 am
I know about France's hunting history. I tried buying a French gun once, but it had been dropped.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:22 am
No. (Though I've been a beater as a boy quite often.)

But I like venison.

(Grandma's family are hunters/forester since more than 400 years.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
No. (Though I've been a beater as a boy quite often.)

But I like venison.

I am often the dog as I don't have one of my own.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:40 am
Quoting the UK as a hunting nation, is like saying that we in the UK are all part of the royal family and live in castles.

Hunting in the UK is confined to large aristocratic estates, who ship in some chinless wonders to stand around and guffaw all day long, and occasionally take a pot shot at some poor bird that has just been forced to fly overhead.
That bird has been specifically introduced to the estate and has been encouraged to breed to such numbers, so that some idiot in tweed can spray it with buckshot, whilst enjoying a glass of champagne, on an "all expenses paid" Corporate day out.

The McCartney's have 1000's of acres and have left their foxes alone, to do their own thing, for over fifteen years. The number of foxes on their estate hasn't increased any, as nature regulates the number of cubs born in a litter from year to year, depending on the local fox population as a whole.

As far as hunting goes in France, for a period of time during late Autumn, fat office workers join fat manual workers and dress up in camouflage outfits that are worn once a year, and all pretend that they are boys once again, playing imaginary "frontier" games and blasting anything that moves. France has no real need to cull anything, and if it DID, it would only be one or two varieties of their native animals. As things stand, anything, including stray cats and dogs that wander into the line of fire, stands a good risk of being blasted by Monsieur Rambo.

I have no objection to culling, as long as it is done in the most professional, humane way.

Don't leave it to idiots, or those that seem to get some sort of weird kick out of the whole thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:00 am
That opinion right there is why I oppose ever putting any hunting issue on a public ballot. So you don't like hunting. I could change your mind if you'd let me.

Remember, meat doesn't come from the supermarket.

(Have euromales lost all of their balls?)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:43 am
cj, I wasn't referring to you at all. I was merely referring to how things were in the UK and France.

The USA is a completely different situation, with a vast country, much of it wilderness, and your own particular problems with overbreeding and crop damage, etc.

As far as equating being able to hunt with the possession of a good set of testicles, I know I could hit an animal with a fair degree of accuracy, as I was in a rifle club as a teenager (target practise only) and always got good scores.
If there was a serious need for culling here, I could do it. I worked in a butchery department for quite a while when I was young, and you give me a carcass and I can bust it down and prepare it for the freezer with no problem.

It is the UK and the French mentality that I find alien. Toffs on the one hand, who buy brand new tweed especially for a jolly day out, killing something purely for fun, and Rambos on the other, acting like total pillocks.

If hunting is done for a serious reason, in a professional way, I have no objection. The last thing that I personally would relate it to though, is fun.

I would take no enjoyment in spraying something's brains all over its surrounding area.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
Lordoftheawkwardterminology, the offspring of a fox and a vixen are called kits.

The hunting thing in the United States is definitely a macho tradition. David Crockett, one of the darlings of the "era of the Common Man" was a famous hunter. He and his buddies would go out and kill dozens of animals each, and the object was not to provide meat, it was to rack up a total number of kills for bragging rights. This mentality continues. Very few people who hunt need the meat. Their activities have little to do with wildlife management, either. The population of white tail deer in the United States is so large that even the annual hunt does not control their numbers. They are frequently subject to the effects of overpopulation, with pandemic disease and starvation effecting a natural cull of their numbers. Many states continue to employ professional hunters to keep the population under control, and in areas of heavy forestation and wilderness, deer on the roads are a serious hazard, and large "road kill" dumps are maintained for the corpses.

CJ can make all the silly claims he wants--note his question about whether or not men in Europe have balls. This is all about macho bragging and proving one has a big dick with a gun in one's hands. People like that are disgusting and puerile.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:07 am
Gee thanks Set. That's a compliment coming from you.

I enjoy hunting. I enjoy being in the woods. I enjoy stalking, calling, and just plain old walking. I hunt basically year 'round, though rarely do I carry a hunting weapon. Most hunting is actually preparation and scouting.

Right now I'm hunting for morel mushrooms, with no success, and while doing so, scouting for turkey.

I also love to fish.

I'm passing this love and respect of the outdoors on to my children. You should too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:10 am
I love the outdoors, and have done all my life. I've never needed a gun in my hands to do so. Save your cheap self-serving advice for the equally clueless.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:10 am
Anybody want to talk choice of weaponry? I don't care if you use a bow, a spear, a crossbow, or an atlatyl, as long as you're deadly with it. Too many hunters arguring with other hunters over what is "pure" if you ask me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:12 am
Setanta wrote:
I love the outdoors, and have done all my life. I've never needed a gun in my hands to do so. Save your cheap self-serving advice for the equally clueless.

Why don't you go play in your own thread instead of following me around like you always do?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:37 am
A sick-puppy of a childish egomaniac would likely think like that . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:04 am
It can be easily verified.

I suspect Set may be a member of HSUS.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:06 am
If it can be verified, verify--put up or shut up.

I joined the United States Army in 1970--that cured me, and i've joined no organizations since then.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:07 am
Here's some foxcubs for you, Set.

http://www.hydestile.org.uk/PAGES/Badger%20&%20Foxcub.html

http://www.wildaboutkent.co.uk/Subjects/largemammals/tl-foxcub.htm

You can even put a bid on this one......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-BEAUTIFUL-WEDGWOOD-FOXCUB-IN-POPPIES-PLATE_W0QQitemZ7233192724QQcategoryZ10884QQcmdZViewItem

I was in the cubs as a boy, and my little badge was a picture of a fox.

Dib Dib Dib.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
We'll have to agree to disagree then, LE . . . i was in the "Cub Scouts" as a child, but i got thrown out for jumping up and down on my Den Mother's sofa--so i can't comment on the organization.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:25 am
Setanta wrote:
If it can be verified, verify--put up or shut up.

It would be easier if the mods hadn't removed some of those passages...

But you know exactly what I'm talking about, and in fact, you following me around secondhandedly calling me names is getting really old. Here's a recent instance other than this thread.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73419&start=0
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:32 am
Your paranoid fantasies are hardly germane to the topic, but it is hilarious to see you derail your own thread with them.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
Anyway, littlek asked earlier about what is illigit about HSUS. Well, for one thing, they have stolen the "Humane Society" moniker from a loose knit group of animal shelters and are using it to solicit funding from those who think they are supporting the local shelter. Most would have no idea that the Humane Socieity of the United States has nothing to do with the Humane Society where you adopted your last pet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
Well, for one thing, they have stolen the "Humane Society" moniker from a loose knit group of animal shelters and are using it to solicit funding from those who think they are supporting the local shelter. Most would have no idea that the Humane Socieity of the United States has nothing to do with the Humane Society where you adopted your last pet.

Their history

Quote:
In 1954, when The Humane Society of the United States was founded by a small handful of dedicated visionaries, the modern concept of "animal welfare" barely existed. A half century later, The HSUS has become the nation's largest animal protection organization, with a constituency of more than eight million people, and a leader in the parallel rise of the modern animal welfare movement. Protecting All Animals: A Fifty-Year History of The Humane Society of the United States is more than a chronicle of one organization, it is the saga of the journey toward a truly humane society.

Now we just needed some source for your claim or can call it it a stinky lie.
0 Replies