Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 04:30 pm
farmerman wrote:
While Im not particularly upset with hunting for edibles. I just think that , every so often cj adopts a gungasnake posture and threads such as this are the natural result.

Sometimes it's downright necessary, but like you say, CJ has a bug up his ass about it! If you think he's bad, you should see OmsigDAVID rant about it. After I listen to it enough, I want to start giving guns to anyone that wants one. I don't care about who, their age, whatever ... just start flooding society with as many guns as we can make!! Maybe if we put enough guns out there, they'll all kill each other off.

We can let Dick Cheney give gun safety lessons Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:51 am
HSUS is a D.C. based PAC with no ties whatsoever to your local Humane Society. They have hijacked the name and use it to scam little old ladies who love critters out of their pensions.

They have nothing to do with sheltering animals. They are 100% anti-hunting lobbyists and that is ALL they do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:34 am
Apparently they are also against "puppy mills" and "Cockfighting as a charitable institution".

You seem to have much hate in you for people who dont fully agree with your POV.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:36 am
One wonders if CJ thinks that people who are opposed to hunting, to "puppy mills" and to cock-fighting should not have an organization to which they can contribute to oppose such activities.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:37 am
That's their camo.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:39 am
Cockfighting is illegal in all 50 states. As camo goes, this is the bright orange version.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
Both cock-fighting and dog-fighting go on, all the same. People have a right to contribute to organizations which oppose the things which they themselves oppose. The HSUS "report card" at Charity Navigator shows an organization which faithfully collects and spends money much more efficiently than many other not-for-profit organizations--they put the United Way to shame.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Both cock-fighting and dog-fighting go on, all the same. People have a right to contribute to organizations which oppose the things which they themselves oppose. The HSUS "report card" at Charity Navigator shows an organization which faithfully collects and spends money much more efficiently than many other not-for-profit organizations--they put the United Way to shame.

But if it is already illegal, what need is there for a PAC that opposes it?

I think you're either missing the point or being intentionally evasive in tryign to derail my argument.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
How can i derail an argument you haven't put on the rails. You have not demonstrated that HSUS has only opposition to hunting as its goal. You continue to refer to it as a political action committee, without providing proof that this is so. You have described it as a for-profit organization, but it has been demonstrated that this is not so. You attempted to start your thread with outrage over the salaries of the staff (and it is quite a small staff for a nationally-based organization), but it has been shown that those salaries are not extraordinary by the standards of the day.

You've proven nothing of your wild accusations, so what is there to "derail?"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
If they are non-profit as you sate, then $.5M isn't excessive? Laughing

I'll post their position on hunting (which is their mission statement) once I can find a link to it online. I have it in writing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
No, half a mill is not excessive, whether or not you know it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
I tried to get a comparison to the National Rifle Association's efficiency, but it isn't listed, because as a 501(c)4 organization, it isn't listed at charitable sites, because of the money it spends on lobbying. This, of course, is not true of HSUS, which is a 501(c)3 organization.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
http://www.nssf.org/lit/Pub036.pdf?AoI=hunting

Scroll down.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:15 am
If you want to summarize, fine--but i don't do PDFs when i'm on dial-up.

You miss the point, though, which is not surprising. The HSUS is an organization which uses contributions to further their point of view. The NRA is an organization which uses contributions to further their point of view. Leaving aside their relative not-for-profit statuses--why should anyone be upset that an organization exists which attempts to further goals with which you disagree? You have a bad case of not recognizing whose ox is being gored here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:28 am
The ox being gored is our right to hunt. HSUS is trying to derail the dove hunt here in Michigan. Next up, bow hunting.

You can put all the lipstick on the pig that you want. It'll still gore you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
Pigs and oxen are different animals--you're mixing metaphors. So what? It is perfectly legal and reasonable that those who oppose hunting organize, and that said organization, complying with the laws which govern not for profit organizations, work to end that which they oppose--whether or not it something of which you approve.

Dove hunting ? ! ? ! ? The clueless in pursuit of the brainless and inedible. Dove "hunting" is a "sport" in which one set of brainless individuals do their damnest to kill another set of brainless individuals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
I didn't mix any metaphors.

Dove hunting is practiced in many states, even California, which has two dove seasons.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
I spoke of oxen being gored, which is a reference to a famous remark by Martin Luther. You referred to pigs, and being gored--that's mixing metaphors.

I'm sure many states have dove seasons. That doesn't change the fact that doves have got to be about the most stupid, most clueless "game" animal that anyone hunts. Dove hunting is pathetic, and is only exceeded in pathos by the character of those who hunt doves.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:55 am
Dove's are too small for me to think they're worth cookin'.

And if you're not gonna eat 'em, what's the point of hunting them? Personal puffery?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
The Sweetiepie Girl wrote:

Quote:
Dove's are too small for me to think they're worth cookin'.

You'd use more energy cleanin' 'em than you'd ever get back eatin' 'em.
0 Replies