Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:07 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 813 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:08 pm
Cruise's publicist is linguistically confused. Persian -- or Farsi, as it is usually known -- is an Indo-European language. Hebrew is a Semitic language. The two have zip in common. The Hebrew word for rose, I believe, is 'shana' or 'shahana.' I have no idea what the word for 'princess' is.
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 06:39 am
sarai - my princess

sarah - princess

( or so i believe)
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:28 pm
No, no, I don't think they were trying to say Farsi and Hebrew are related. I think they were saying that they're sort of interlanguage homonyms; eg, a word "suri" happens to exist in both languages, with different meanings. I read that "suri" also has some humorous negative meaning in Japanese, for example. I'll have to look up what it was...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:54 am
Suri means pickpocket in Japanese, apparently.

And just when my opinion of Tom Cruise couldn't get any lower...

http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1219307,00.html
0 Replies

Eliran

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 05:55 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Cruise's publicist is linguistically confused. Persian -- or Farsi, as it is usually known -- is an Indo-European language. Hebrew is a Semitic language. The two have zip in common. The Hebrew word for rose, I believe, is 'shana' or 'shahana.' I have no idea what the word for 'princess' is.

Rose - "Shoshana"

And I don't know where they got that Suri thing, because I have never heard that word in Hebrew. Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:31 am
I once worked with an orthodox Jewish woman named Suri.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 01:59 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

These languages have different roots, surely, but what happens is that these languages become fused by their speakers as, for example, Hebrews who lived in Persia mixed Hebrew and Farsi. The dialect is referred to as Judaic Persian. I don't know what its speakers call, or called it. The same process occurred among the Ashkenazim in Central and Eastern Europe. The dialect that was generated is Yiddish.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 04:26 pm
http://www.santafe.edu/~johnson/articles.yiddish.html
0 Replies