Hardee's Sandwich Piles Meat on More Meat

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:02 am
My grandmother had an old tin container which held about a quart, and which was labelled "Grease" on the outside. The top was inset, and perforated. One poured the bacon fat onto the recessed lid, and the fat drained into the container leaving the "cracklins" behind. She kept the container in the fridge, and whenever something was to be fried, she took bacon fat from the container to do the frying. Pancakes, home fries or french fries--they all had that wonderful flavor. She popped the popcorn we grew in bacon fat. I miss it. She lived into her nineties.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
That's not the sign in San Francisco that people were trying to preserve, is it?

Yep!! Just leave it to Osso Smile It's the Der Weinersnitchel Dog! It's famous and this is one of the last ones left I think.

Anon

I even know where it is.

It's a landmark now!!

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:01 am
Do you ever go to the zoo? I always enjoyed the SF Zoo. It used to be really cool when they had multiple prides of lions and at feeding time they would roar over who got fed first.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:44 pm
When my grandma was nearing 100 I asked her what the secret to a long life was. She said, "don't die young." Then she added, "just do whatever the hell you want and don't worry about it".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:13 pm
Were those her exact words.....or are you embelishing, just a little? :wink:
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:43 pm
Those were her exact words Reyn. Actually, I don't think she has a clue as to how she's lived so long.
0 Replies