'Most expensive sandwich' on sale

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:27 pm
'Most expensive sandwich' on sale
Hungry shoppers are being offered the chance to eat a gourmet sandwich, but the £85 ($148 USD) price tag might be too much for some to swallow.

The McDonald sandwich - named after its creator Scott McDonald, the chef at London department store Selfridges - is said to be the world's most expensive.

Its cost is down to the Wagyu beef that makes up most of the filling, packed in a 24-hour fermented sour dough bread.

There have been at least five advance orders placed for the 21oz (595g) meal.

Wagyu cattle are one of the most expensive breeds in the world.

The Japanese cows are raised on a special diet, including beer and grain.

They are supposed to be regularly massaged with sake, the Japanese rice wine, to tenderize the flesh.

Mr McDonald denied his creation was a "sandwich for snobs", saying its beauty was in its simplicity.

"The flavours marry, it's not complicated - albeit a little bit rich," he told BBC London.

Food and catering director at Selfridges on Oxford Street, Ewan Venters, who commissioned the sandwich, said they expected it to be a hit with local "foodies".

"I think if you are a food lover, this represents great value for money," he said.

"Some of the finest ingredients from around the world have been used to create this fabulous sandwich."

The ingredients of the sandwich are: Wagyu beef, fresh lobe foie gras, black truffle mayonnaise, brie de meaux, rocket, red pepper and mustard confit and English plum tomatoes.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41542000/jpg/_41542850_sandwich203.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,004 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
Put me down for a couple of those, with a tall Lone Star beer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:37 pm
Nice ingredients. Too thick.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:07 pm
umm I'd better be full for days for that price...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:21 am
148 dollars?

for THAT?

I dont care if that damn cow had golden hooves..
there is no way I would pay that much for a few shreads of beef and some bread.

rubbed in sake Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:53 am
For that price, does the sandwich come with an extra large bottle of Pepto-Bismol..........................just in case???

I think that calling the item the "McDonald sandwich" is an unfortunate choice, no matter what the name of its creator! Laughing
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:59 am
What a bargain!

OK - it's a joke but there are enough rich stupid Londoners prepared to buy this kind of thing.

KP
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
Interesting. Its mainly a sammich composed of sick animal meat. A vet once posted a comment on abuzz (4 years or more ago) , That Kobe beef , the root of Wagyu, was nothing more than meat from obese diabetic cattle. I cant see putting all those delicate flavors together and then jamming on a red bell pepper. Thats all you will taste
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:38 am
Think I'd get me $150 worth of lobster instead.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 07:11 am
that would get me almost 2 weeks worth of groceries for 3 people..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:36 am
So, ummmm.... what exactly is "rocket" from the ingredient list?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:46 am
I agree with the sentiments of the previous posters. It's too much to pay for a mere sandwich, and I don't care what the ingrdients are made of.

Like you, wolfie, I would think in terms of grocery money. Very Happy

I can't think of any meal that I would be interested in paying that kind of money. Once it goes into the stomach, it's all mush anyways.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:03 pm
Reyn

Prices are very different in London.

I'm not defending the price or ingredients of the sandwich, though I'm sure the cost of those ingredients is high.

I've paid around £60 (USD 100) for my own dinner (i.e. not me AND a date) on several occasions. It's not uncommon to spend £40 on the food and £20 on wine etc.

This goes with the fact that London is in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world. We end up having less disposable income as a result, because the salaries are not proportionally higher!

Boomerang - rocket = rucola...peppery green leaves, delicious IMO.

KP
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:05 pm
so, does that make your poop the next day worth 1/2 that price?

I mean.. it was rubbed in sake at one point...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:05 pm
Thanks KP!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:08 pm
I don't think I'd get that sammy even if it was on the $5.00 menu at the local soup n' sam. Too many rich flavours. I think I'd get a tummy ache.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:35 pm
I was expecting hummingbird tongues, or something.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:01 pm
boomerang wrote:
So, ummmm.... what exactly is "rocket" from the ingredient list?

It reminds me of Dandylion leaves, but... Meh. It's called Arugula in American English apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arugula

English plum tomatoes? So that's where all the damned plum tomatoes have gone. They used to sell them in my local supermarket but not anymore. Now I know why. The snobs. Taking all our plum tomatoes.

Thing is, English tomatoes don't taste very sweet... It's a shame, really.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 05:48 am
kitchenpete wrote:
I've paid around £60 (USD 100) for my own dinner (i.e. not me AND a date) on several occasions. It's not uncommon to spend £40 on the food and £20 on wine etc.

Unfortunately I had to do similar when in London (although the relation between food and wine doesn't indicate that KP was in a posh restaurant: the ordinary red house wine at the London meeting last year was £10/glass - $17.50 !)

In more or less normal restaurant here (=at our place), you pay à la carte dishes for about $30.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
For some reason, that amount of money for an entire meal, espically if it is with guests, doesnt ruffle my feathers as much as it does thinking it is all for one sandwich.
0 Replies