Oh my god?

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:23 pm
What is the difference between 'Oh my god' and 'Oh my gosh' ?

thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:24 pm
The latter, oh my gosh, is a euphemism, used because the more conservative christians among us have this thing about using the 'lord's name in vain' (ie invoking a higher power for minor surprises).

These days someone saying 'oh my gosh' is like a three year old saying 'I gotta go number ones'.

It was mostly invoked by cartoons and television so as not to upset American moral watchdogs.

Like most euphemisms it lacks the power of the original.

In some cases it doesn't fit at all - for example: If you were making passionate love and yelling 'oh my gosh, oh my gosh' over and over again you might well find yourself laughed, if not kicked, out of the bed.

If you are with very conservative types just avoid using it. Instead, when you are shocked by something, just yell 'F*CK!' :wink:
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:30 pm
My dad always used to swear by saying "Judas priest", which I suppose is probably also a euphemism instead of "Jesus Christ" (same thing as above--violating a commandment by "taking the lord's name in vain"). Similarly, saying "jeez" when p"ssed off.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:35 pm
Jeez, jeepers and GEE WHIZ are both euphemisms for Jesus Christ. Golly is also used for God
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:36 pm
While I'm thinking of it I'm pretty sure SHUCKS is a meld of sh*t and f*ck - but that's just my theory.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:41 pm
Not sure about that. The only context I've heard "shucks" in (and not much at all since thirty or forty years ago) is when one is being sort of bashfully modest about something, which is not the sort of context one would be likely to say "sh*t", I don't think.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:42 pm
(How do you pronounce an asterisk anyway?)
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:58 am
Interesting example about making love, thanks anyway Wink
0 Replies