White House Press Secretary Resigns

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:19 pm
Ill buy him about six more beers and we can start taping him. He will be under a gag order until when?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:22 pm
The only credit he gets IMO is for the fact that he finally resigned.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:05 pm
McClellan says he resigned becuse he wanted to spend more time lying to his family.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:05 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
McClellan says he resigned becuse he wanted to spend more time lying to his family.

Wasn't that a Leno joke?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:19 pm
parados wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Wasn't that a Leno joke?

McClellan resigned this am. How coupld it be a Leno joke?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:21 pm
eoe wrote:
The only credit he gets IMO is for the fact that he finally resigned.

Except that he didn't resign.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:11 pm
This is kind of interesting. Did he resign or was he let go? As with everything else pertaining to this administration, the truth is fuzzy and vague.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:02 pm
That's what they all say "to spend more time doing [insert activity here] with family."

Okay this is just too weird for me to believe but there are rumors that Tony Snow is one of the candidates being considered as Mclellan's replacement...

Say whaaaaa???!! So the administration finally goes public and officially hires a Fox dude as its spokesperson...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:49 pm
Why not? Fox has been an organ of the Republican Party (I won't say which organ, precisely!) since it's inception. This would just formalize the arrangement.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:34 pm
So now that it's been confirmed Tony Snow is the new WH Press Secretary, Ari Fleisher has some tips for him...

Showtime at the White House
By Ari Fleischer
Thursday, April 27, 2006; A27

The Washington press corps -- working in an industry that's been transformed by talk radio, 24-hour cable news and the Internet -- still views the White House briefing room as it was back in the 1950s -- or the '60s, '70s, '80s or even early '90s. Despite dramatic changes forged by live coverage and instant analysis, the press fondly adheres to the notion that the briefing can be conducted the way it used to be.

But as Tony Snow, the new White House press secretary, will soon discover, the briefing is no longer a briefing, it's a TV show.
Gone are the days when this daily session was a serious affair, with mostly serious questions asked and mostly serious answers given. Instead, the public is now treated to a spectacle in which the media do their best to pressure the White House, regardless of which party is in power, into admitting that much of what the president is doing is wrong, and the White House pushes back. The two sides talk past each other, and the viewing public gets to watch a good fight.

Before 24-hour cable news and the Internet, reporters at the briefings asked tough questions and generally received straight answers. Because the quantity of coverage was limited and the quality was driven by the next day's newspapers and the 6:30 evening news, with major figures such as Walter Cronkite delivering it, press secretaries didn't have to worry that their every word or thought would instantly be reported live on the North Lawn of the White House.

There was only one news cycle, and it lasted about 24 hours. Today there's no telling when a news cycle begins and ends. It's 24 hours a day, and reporters are under constant pressure from editors to update their stories a dozen times a day. Reporters are in endless pursuit of "the latest development" or "this just in," even if there are no developments of late or even if what's "just in" is barely news at all.
Press secretaries realize that their audience isn't only the couple of dozen reporters in the room. It's also the hundreds of thousands of people who tune in to watch, giving the press secretary a forum to "get out the message."

Not so long ago, when Marlin Fitzwater was press secretary to the first President Bush, TV cameras weren't permitted to cover the briefing live. One of President Bill Clinton's press secretaries, Mike McCurry, in an effort to accommodate the new 24-hour-a-day cable news programs, allowed his briefings to be open to TV coverage. Poor Mike. The first briefing the press covered live was on the day the Monica Lewinsky story broke. Since then the briefing room has never been the same.

In addition to the televised session, I used to brief the press every morning in something called "the gaggle." It was on the record, but no TV cameras were allowed. The gaggle was more informative and serious than the briefing. Reporters didn't posture as much for their colleagues and editors, since their reporting wasn't on the air. If I ducked a question at the gaggle -- such as the ones I was asked immediately after Sept. 11, 2001, about whether a military strike was "coming within hours, days, weeks or months" (I was asked that actual question) -- the reporters didn't attempt to ask me the same thing 17 different ways, as they did at the televised briefing. They got the point: The White House wasn't answering.

Of course, the reporters aren't the only ones who behave differently before the cameras. I acted differently, too. At the televised briefing I would sometimes lean into the podium, raise my hand and do my best to deliver a sound bite for the evening news. I liked mixing it up with reporters. I enjoyed a good intellectual televised argument. But the briefing always had an air of theater to it -- on both sides of the podium. It was easier to give thoughtful explanations of controversial issues at the gaggle or during the numerous times a day reporters strolled into my office to talk with me.

It may not be the briefing it once was, but it is still an important show.
The writer was President Bush's press secretary from January 2001 to July 2003.
0 Replies