Birth Control Blues

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:08 pm
I just started this new form of Birth Control on Friday - the Nuva Ring. I like it because it is low maintenance. BUT, my emotions are going crazy. When I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo a year ago, I didnt have mood swings like this, but I was always forgetting to take my pill. So I opted for the ring this time around (which is better than the patch because there is no risk of it falling off).

But I'm going crazy. I am awake every night thinking my relationship will go to hell. I'm thinking about God, and trust issues. And then the next day, I'm excited and horney. Tonight I couldn't stop laughing. Last night, I was practically in tears until 1AM.

Now I know the thing to do is talk to my doctor about this, and I will. But in the meantime, does anybody have any suggestions about birth control they've taken that hasn't wreaked havoc on their emotional lives. I'm dying here!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:17 pm
Re: Birth Control Blues
daniellejean wrote:
But in the meantime, does anybody have any suggestions about birth control they've taken that hasn't wreaked havoc on their emotional lives.

Hmmm...nope!

I tried Ortho-Tri Cyclen, Ortho Low Dose, Depo-Provera, Nuva Ring, and another one I can't remember the name of (something with an "L") and every single one made a wreck of me....I think some women are just really susceptible to getting mood swings from any of them. I'm prone to depression anyway, so that doesn't help I don't think.

I've given up and am just depending on condoms and the calendar method now...keeping my fingers crossed all the time that nothing goes wrong, but at least I'm not having screaming temper tantrums every few days!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:26 pm
Either things have changed and symptoms are rachetting up, or people are more aware now of possible symptoms. I spent a lot of years on regular old Premarin and provera, and then a generic of provera. I am not so sure my emotional flights were at all worse under the regimen of the pills. I felt, if anything, tamed a bit. Although I went a bit berserko in my forties, the scenario of my work life in my forties made sense of that. Still, I pinpoint a certain readiness to rage in myself to my mid to late forties. Don't know if that was the pills' fault. Pills might have improved my natural raging.

Surely there have been studies...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:32 pm
I think it might be useful for folks to google re natural psychological cycles around the metabolic curves of women.

We didn't have google et al in the sixties. At this point I'd look at it fairly extensively, exploring, and then tighten up with the most serious sites re main med centers. I have a main med bias, so others may best provide alternate sites.
0 Replies

ktflyer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:58 am
daniellejean:

I used to use the Ortho Evra Patch and it totaly dryed out my skin from head to toe and gave me mood swings. Now I am taking Yasmin and I love it! Allot of my friend are taking it as well. They aren't having any problems with it either. All though, it only comes in pill form. I set my cell phone alarm so that it goes off at 10am everyday. I haven't missed but, one time. The key is to take it as soon as you hear your alarm go off or you'll forget. Hope this helps :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
I used to be on a pill that depressed he hell out of me(though I dint know it was the pill)
Ive been taking a new one for about a year and I actually laugh now, instead of wanting to kill everybody, and then myself.

Danielljean-What on earth is a Nuva ring?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:57 pm
I really think the depression thing is a much more common side effect than doctors let on.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:48 pm
I was on the Pill for close to twenty years and never suffered like you all describe. Geez... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:40 am
I like condoms. Smile

No way I'm taking pills, patches, or shots. Bad experiences with that stuff. But that is just me.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:46 am
I like condoms too,its a necessity in this day and age,tho I use the pill too.
Oh I also seem to be able to repell men, that seems to be the best form of contraception.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:49 am
The pill is a hormone and you are artifically tricking your body. Of course there will be side effects in most women! Some people are just more suseptible to depression or anxiety or mood swings and adding in that extra boost of hormone triggers those predispositions.

Your doctor is going to tell you to wait it out for 3 months and if by then nothing has changed, you can look into alternate options. They want to give your body time to adjust. You've been taking it for a week. That isn't time for your body to adjust.

If it's so bad you can't take it, then tell your doctor that. But most docs don't want to keep switching your pills unnecessarily.
0 Replies