I ain't missing you at all.

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:56 pm
Okay so I'm feeling a bit maudlin, indulge me.

I got a phone call tonight:

Him: Do you know who this is?
Me: I would be dead before I failed to recognize your voice.

That is how it started. It was my mentor and I have probably only spoken to him twice in the last 7 or 8 years.

But oh my.

His voice reminds me of who I was and who I am and who I can ever be. His voice reminds me of my potential. Have you ever been so lucky as to have someone believe in you like that?

He invited me to visit him and I'm getting ready to drop everything to do it. He is old and ill and I can hardly imagine a world where he doesn't happen. I hyperventelate even thinking that...

... he still thinks of me too.

So.

I'm thinking of packing my bags. It is only a day and a half to drive there.

Have you ever been so lucky that you had someone who believed in you no matter what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,702 • Replies: 20
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:09 pm
Yes.

A phone call from my best friend sends me into waves of tears and grief.

She still talkes with me as freely as she did before I moved, before.. something in me just changed.

She has no care about my past, how it is still in my face, or how I am 800 miles from her.

She was/is my spiritual mentor.
Our lives have taken decidedly diffrent paths. We have very little in common anymore.

But she knows me and is always questioning why I am still where I am.

Why Im not in a home.
Why I am rolling over on many things.
Why I have stepped away from my religion.
And why Im not closer to her. hehe

To her, I am still " Mel", all powerfull, loving, special.. Mel...

>sigh<
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:11 pm
Wow.

<thinking>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:25 pm
I think I do....as in some very special colleagues....but I kind of brush their belief off..because it does not fit my cognitive set.

ANOTHER thought provoking post, Boomer...

You realise you're gonna hafta pay for MY therapy now?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:41 pm
Wow, boomer, this is kinda eerie. I've been thinking about my mentor A LOT lately.
I've been missing him something awful.
I think may have been sparked bc I am feel happy and full of potential again: and I know he'd be here beaming and proud.
He'd smile without surprise and say "I always you knew you'd do it"
And I'd say 'Yup. I know."

My stepdad. There just aren't enough men like that in the world. Unfortunately, he passed away the december before last.

You should see your mentor again. That'd be awesome.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:21 pm
Yes. Oh yes, I do.

We lost touch for many years, but reconnected about 7 years ago. It's an extraordinary story. Maybe one day I will share it here. It would take about half the bandwidth of the site, though.

We are close friends now. Next to my husband, he is the best friend I have. Even though we e-mail back and forth all the time, I don't get to see him very often. But I'm planning a trip to Dominica in July with him and his wife. I can hardly wait.

Go, boomer! Do it! Pack your bags! Do not miss this opportunity!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:04 am
I didn't mean to ditch the thread but I was totally steam rolled by some kind of virus last night. I was fine then BAM. Jeez Louise.

I sent an email off to Mentor's wife this morning saying that I would love to take them up on their invitation to visit. It was such a lovely surprise to hear from him/them.

Mentors are interesting and it is really so wonderful when you are able to recognize them for what they are. I'm thinking that perhaps the drifiting away and coming around is part of the process judging by what I'm reading here.

It is very cool that your mentor was your stepdad, flushed. Your post is what pushed me over the edge to send an email this morning. Like I said, my mentor is old and ill and unable to travel and I really should not miss the opportunity to see him.

shwolf and Eva, I hope you'll come back and share a bit more about your mentors and how they effected your lives. I have felt a strong sense that I should mentor too and I do try to despite my own shakey legs. I guess it is a kind of pay it forward idea.

dlowan, quit brushing them off!

(I'll just write that check out to myself!)
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:10 am
Fr. Joseph Caselli, SDB.
The wisest man I ever met.
Luckily, I had the chance to see him again several times before he died.
His memory was failing and that was very hard on a man of his intellect.
But he was still Fr. Casselli.

Requiescat in pace.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:13 am
I knew someone like that once. She got me to where I am today, then went totally bughouse nuts. I was put in the awkward position of trying to protect my people from her worst excesses. I like to think I handled the situation with tact (something for which I am not noted) and diplomacy, but it was SUCH a relief when her entire job classification was let go. She moved up north and I've only heard from her once in 10 years. Kinda sad, really.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:28 am
The short answer is no. But I've had people along the way who did believe in me enough to get to me to the next step.

Enjoy the trip, boomer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:35 am
bm
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 02:43 pm
Boomer, I am so happy you decided to go!! Very Happy
Can't wait to hear the story.
Oh geez, you're gonna make me cry Embarrassed
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 02:59 pm
I've had people who believed in me but nothing even close to a mentor.

I wish I had someone like that... it gets tiring having to provide support to myself and sometimes people look at me like I'm crazy when I'm talking to myself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:22 pm
I'm not sure when I'll be going but it will hopefully be fairly soon.

I've had people who helped along the way but this guy launched me and it was sheer dumb luck that I met him at all - one of those know a guy who knows a guy whose looking for someone.... kind of deals.

I would no doubt be stumbling around if I hadn't been that lucky. I am still dumbfounded that he seemed to recognize any potential in me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
We're not.

Have a lovely meeting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:45 pm
Awwww man.

<sniff>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:50 pm
We love and believe in our Boomer, whoever We is. Go for it (as I see you are, good)..

I've had not one mentor but batches of semimentors. (If you have a scatterbrain, who is her mentor? A selection of mentors for you...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:50 pm
ossobuco wrote:
We love and believe in our Boomer, whoever We is.

Im part of the 'we'
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:57 pm
A part of "we" checking in, and hugging Boomer tight.

It's lovely. Cherishing it with you, sweetie.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:49 pm
Make it soon, boomer. Don't let the chance slip away.

I know how it feels. Mine launched me, too. He was a life preserver at a time when I was sinking, but he never knew it. Years later, when we reconnected, I told him. Then, unbelievably, I had the indescribable pleasure of being able to do the same thing for him. It all came full circle. I love him dearly. We are the best of friends.

Another hug from one of the "we."
0 Replies