PLEASE HELP ME. I'M STUCK!!!!!!!!!

Baldtel

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:23 am
Hello all

This is my first post Very Happy

I'm not sure if this is the right post, but i was wandering if someone could help me come up with some idea's.

I have to do a presentation in 2 weeks for my course at college (im doing a CSCT level 2 in counselling skills.

For my essay, I have decided to do mine on bullying at school. Unfortunately thats as far as i've got. The title. The subject has to be relevant to the counselling and i'm thinking a long the lines of "how counselling helps people at school being bullied"

If anyone can help me get started then I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Tel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 15
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:31 am
Hi Tel, welcome to A2K!

Well, since you placed this in "English", I'll start with your title. You may want to say "How Counseling Helps People Who Have Been Bullied at School." Your current title is more towards suggesting that counselors help the bullies bully the bullied, if you get my drift. Smile

Then, you can do a Google search on "school bullies counseling" and I bet there will be a wealth of info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=school+bullies+counseling

Good luck!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:34 am
You could go the 'extreme' route too: "School bullies and their victims finally meet their match: Counsellors"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:42 am
well, if I am working with a kid at school being bullied, I would be wanting to assess if it is something the kid can act to deal with on their own, or if the bullying has reached a stage where the school needs to be intervening with the bullies. Also, if the bullying is endemic at the school or isolated.

here, In Australia, where I live, there are harassment and aggression policies and also supports available to try to help schools when they are unable to deal with aggression themselves.

I guess what I am saying is there is a need to see whether there is intervention needed at a level beyond that of the kid who is being bullied - or even at the legal level.

if not - or as well as - I would be wondering what might be happening that is making the kid a target.

Are they struggling academically, socially? Are they being subjected to abuse at home, or in a less than nurturing home situation? Many kids who are not well cared for can also become targets.

Sometimes kids with specific problems like Asperger's syndrome. Tourettes etc can be easy targets.

Does the kid respond with anger or distress that is maintaining the problem? - counselling can assist kids with strategies to behave in a way that denies the bullies their pleasure.

Basically, I would be wanting to get a really good assessment of the school, the kid, the kid's situation and address things at whatever level they need addressing.

At a counselling level, I would be looking to assist the young person with whatever was needed to help solve the problem - this might include dealing with anxiety and trauma, self-esteem, social skills, behavioural strategies for not giving bullies a pay-off, perhaps academic problems - as well as providing emotional support and validation and looking at the ways they thought about themselves and the problem and assisting them to explore new solutions.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 03:53 pm
Hi Tel, Wecome to a2k. Sozobe and dlowan have given you some excellent advice. Great starting-off points.

Just an organizational note--you might want to break things down this way:

the form the bullying takes
the effect the bullying has on the victim
different types of counseling for different bullying situations
0 Replies

nicslater

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:58 pm
hi, you all seem to know a bit about bullying so i have a question

my son is 14 years old , he was robbed at knife point by 6 youths at a local shopping centre.At the time of the robbery my son did not recognise the thugs,on returning to school the following week he was approached by the main two that held him up.now it has been 8 weeks and the thugs are still intimidating him at school every day , bumping him, laughing at him, and even standing outside of his classroom windows and watching him while he is in class.
the school student councillor is aware of what has happened but said he can not protect my son,he will also not tell the head of the school as we both feel from previous dealing that the principal and deputy will further endanger my son.

i have seen reports of compo given to victims is this something we should be looking at?

what is the school obliged to do in the way of safety?

i hope you can give me some ideas

thank you
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:15 pm
Baldtel and nicslater, WELCOME to A2K. You have come to the right place for suggestions and resources. However, I would caution you to limit the amount of 'outside' suggestions you use in your report/thesis. One of the learning skills of college is to learn how to research things on your own. Good luck on your presentation. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 12:18 am
CI, nicslater is not talking about a report, she is talking about a severe problem for her son.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 12:47 am
Nicslater, are you saying that the principal and the police both will cause more harm for your son?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:29 am
nicslater wrote:
hi, you all seem to know a bit about bullying so i have a question

my son is 14 years old , he was robbed at knife point by 6 youths at a local shopping centre....
i have seen reports of compo given to victims is this something we should be looking at?

what is the school obliged to do in the way of safety?

i hope you can give me some ideas

thank you

Before we go down the path of looking for compensation - and it sounds to me here like you're looking to sue the school or obtain a share of a victims' compensation fund - the real question is: have you called the police? Who gives a damn if these are schoolmates, anyway? Your son was mugged. This is a crime and the police are where you should be going. Forget the school. Go to the police and swear out a complaint.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:12 am
I must've misread Baldtel's post. Quote: "I have to do a presentation in 2 weeks for my course at college......." c.i.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:00 am
nicslater, Welcome to a2k. Jespah has offered some good advice. However, you might want to post the problem in the Home & Family forum. I think you're likely to get a lot more responses.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:21 am
c.i, yes, Baldtel. But you addressed both Baldtel and nicslater, and nicslater is not asking for help with homework at all.

Welcome, nicslater, and so sorry to learn of your predicament. I agree that starting a new thread might get you even more responses. Here is the Parenting & Childcare forum:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=30
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
soz, My mistake in showing both names. What you expectd from an old fogey? LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 12:47 pm
Just recently the Dr. Phil Show devoted an entire show to bullies and their victims. You can read about it here and get references to other related articles.

http://www.drphil.com/show/show.jhtml?contentId=1107_bullies.xml
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 01:22 pm
Boy, Butrfly, that's the perfect link for this subject. Thx, c.i.
0 Replies