How to treat her when she's in her "Period"

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:20 am
Hello all;

How should a female be treated when she's in her "period" ? I.e what is generally her mood, what would she like being? Alone? With people? Would she want to talk about serious matters? Or she'd like to be entertained? What kind of feeling would she want to be in? How should I be treating her and behaving with her during that time?

And most importantly: What are the signals that show she's having her period??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,472 • Replies: 36
No top replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:32 am
How should a female be treated when she's in her "period" ?

http://www.webbedworks.com/messingerwoods/porcupine.htm

I.e what is generally her mood, what would she like being?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_II_of_Russia

Alone?

Yes.

With people?

Yes.

Would she want to talk about serious matters? Or she'd like to be entertained?

Laughing

And most importantly: What are the signals that show she's having her period??

Shocked

How should I be treating her and behaving with her during that time?

Drop & roll.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
What's her mood?

She might be more vocal and assertive about little things that bother her all the time, but aren't a big enough deal to mention at other times.

She may be whiney.

How should you be treating her?

Run her a hot bath with Epsom salt, candles. Give her some Advil. When you sleep, encourage her to cuddle by pressing her stomach next to your warm bottom. You might scratch her lovingly on her arms and legs, which actually stops some of the pain.

She may feel much like a person with a fever during a cold feels. Those all over aches.

Some women may not be so in tune with their physical discomfort, they just feel bad, and so they look at their life and try to find the problem. Well, we all have problems, but somehow they may think that some little or big thing in their life is out of whack, and they want it dealt with. Right away!

And to them, it's a very big deal.

So, it might be best to acknowledge those feelings. Never, ever suggest that they may be overreacting due to being in their period. But you might get away with scheduling a follow-up conversation on the topic in a few days, "to give both of you to think about the topic and then regroup." By then, she'll be feeling much better, and you come off the sensitive hero for offering to spend time thinking about her concerns and talking about them a little now and a lot later.

Wow, OK, I'm expecting a bit of rebuttal here, because everyone's experience is different. So that's just my take on it.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:28 am
What are the signals?

Her breasts will swell, making them more inviting, but they will be very sensitive and may hurt if touched. And they may run a bit of a fever of their own.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:05 pm
Speaking as a female, it depends. We're all -- gasp! -- different.

Women on the pill tend to have less intense periods with more or less comparably fewer symptoms, but I've been on the pill for years and these days my PMS symptoms tend to be a lot worse but that may just be menopause on the horizon.

Some women are in a lot of pain and nauseous. They want nothing to do with anyone and then really the best thing you can do is just respect that. It ain't personal, she just feels like crap.

Some have pain but no nausea, such as myself. I find I want things to be lowkey. I definitely don't want someone drawing me a bath or anything. I just -- personally -- don't want to be fussed over at all. But that's just me, your lady friend may feel differently.

Other women have very little physical discomfort but may have mood swings. Again, don't take it personally. It probably ain't you. It's just the hormones. For these women, the best thing to do is to back off. Be available if necessary, e. g. don't leave the country Smile , but if she is angry or confrontational, it may be nothing (or, it may be something. Just 'cause a woman is menstruating does not mean that she has no point or isn't right about something -- it just means that the emotions are running hotter -- so keep that in mind).

Other women get very horny. Others feel very little. Some feel ultra-feminine. Some feel unclean.

Like I said, it depends. I've found that my sense of smell is extremely heightened and things are off, I really don't enjoy anything too smelly, e. g. incense, candles or flowers. Oh, and chocolate. Lots of women -- myself included -- really, really want chocolate. It's sweet, it's an indulgence and it has feel-good stuff in it (the name of which escapes me right now).

So, about the only thing I can advise is, talk to your lady friend and find out how she feels, as opposed to looking for generic signs to divine as if you were looking for signs of a tornado. And offer chocolate. Smile
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
After you offer chocolate, find the fastest mode of transportation and take off. Call her back in a week and see if she ok.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:42 pm
I just want to be left alone - with our cats and chocolate. And painkillers because I have cramps and my back hurts, my head feels funny. But - usually I have to work and function somehow - so it's no cats but more painkillers...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
http://www.painetworks.com/photos/hq/hq1889.JPG

do NOT attempt to entertain her.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:47 pm
Ah, very well put, Chai Tea!!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:06 pm
You'll notice vonderjohn, that many of the replies (including mine) are of a humorus bent. One of the reasons for this is that many/some woman when having PMS are very sensitive emotionally and respond to anything and everything in a totally different way that she would normally. Most of us woman see this about ourselves, even if after the fact, and can laugh at ourselves for activing so "crazy"

One important thing to remember is that the woman is NOT sick. She does not have some illness you have to tip toe around (Okay, you should probably tiptoe around her, but that's a different thing)

I don't know all the medical things that are going on with a womans hormones at this time, but believe me, something is going on. As said, every woman is different...some months it goes by and I feel no different than any other day...other months I'm short tempered, weepy, etc.

This month was one of the weepy ones....I came home one night, feeling fine, went to exercise and while putting on my sneakers, just started crying Shocked , I went ahead and exercised, then went up to my husband and said...."If you see me crying, it's not you...I'm having my period and I may just cry out of the blue."

His response? "okey dokey" see, now he knows not to think he did anything, but also knows to leave me alone.

I don't know about that being fussed over stuff either frankly....I want "me time", want to be left alone.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:09 pm
Laughing Great advice,y'all.

I just wanted to add that it's great that you are looking to figure this out. It's very sweet. Sometimes, that's all a gal needs - the recognition that she isn't feeling her usual self and that a man is actually okay with that!

A little extra kindness and humour at that time can go a looong way afterwards. :wink:
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:29 pm
Thank you everyone for all the "experienced looking" replies Smile And yes, I do realize that a lot of them are mixed with a sense of humor, and I like that idea as long as it brings with it an added value or something I would usefully learn and apply.

It's just that im a guy and I won't ever experience this painful feeling of the "period", so I feel I want to make the girl as comfortable as possible when she's going through it. Ignoring it just for the fact that I won't be experiencing the same thing is heartless. I think its important to comfort a female during that period, so im looking for some advice on what to do and not to do during that time.

Big thanks once again!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:02 pm
vonder--

You seem like such a sweetheart.

Once you learn foreplay, things will go better for you than your uneducated cohorts.

Until then, rest assured that nothing you can ever do will be right when your woman is on her period.

Just roll with the punches.

Tricks for almost any woman during any time:

Flowers "for no reason."

Chocolate: same reason.

"Honey," discerning appraisal, "Have you lost weight?"

Soulfull gaze into her eyes, "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

When she suggests a chick flick, you say, "That sounds great!"

Good luck, dear!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:11 pm
You can usually tell when a woman is on her period by the gamey smell that emanates from her vagina. It is especially pungent on hot humid days.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:29 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:07 am
kickycan wrote:
You can usually tell when a woman is on her period by the gamey smell that emanates from her vagina. It is especially pungent on hot humid days.

And I was wondering what that smell was all about!! Now I know Smile Thanks to you kickycan!

Razz
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:09 am
By the way Lash thank you very much for the compliments.

I need more of those "quick and straight forward tips" that you mentioned. They're very useful. More more more!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 11:34 pm
Some women, like myself, do not have problems with their periods at all. No mood swings, no pain, everything's normal. Other than craving chocolate, my husband has never known me to act any differently. I certainly don't want to be coddled.

My sister, on the other hand...well, the best advice would be to take two aspirin and get the hell outta Dodge.

As Jes said, it really depends on the woman. Ask her if there's anything you can do to make her feel better, and whatever she says, believe her!
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 03:30 am
Well...the key is to try and comfort her WITHOUT aslking her about it...simply by understanding the signs and acting accordingly. THat's what im trying to do. "Realize" that she has her period and "without asking her" giving her the comfortable time during her most painful moments.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:25 am
I'm one of those with the mood swings that are getting worse as I slowly slide into menopause and I am truly one who likes to be left alone during this time.
For me, the best thing a man could do is bring me chocolate and let me be.
As others have said, all women are different regarding their period, so it all depends.

So, the next time I have PMS (coming soon), i'll be wishing I was Eva ;-)
0 Replies