Highly Strung

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 02:49 pm
In a previous relationship my ex often said that I was very highly strung. My current partner also mooted it yesterday in a frank discussion about why we're not working.

This is probably a very obvious answer to this question but I can't see it!

Question: What is a highly-strung person? What does that mean? What are the characteristics?

Any genuine advice/help will be gratefully received as I'm keen to understand.

Thanks,

Richard
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,025 • Replies: 6
No top replies

flushd

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
Hi Richard. Welcome to A2K. Smile

Here's a dictionary definition:
Adj. 1.highly strung - being in a tense state
edgy, high-strung, in suspense, jittery, jumpy, nervy, overstrung, restive, uptight
tense - in or of a state of physical or nervous tension

Basically, it means you need to Chill!
0 Replies

richardb1979

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:10 pm
Hi flushd,

Thanks very much for the quick response - much appreciated! That all sounds very familiar and it makes sense. Tackling it will be the next challenge but I at least can identify with it and try to relax a little!

Best regards

Richard
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:25 am
i find that a visual often helps:

highly strung Arrow http://www.moodsmilies.com/smilies/happy/jumpy.gif
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:19 am
Identifying the problem is half the battle, richard. I applaud your willingness to change and grow.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
eoe wrote:
Identifying the problem is half the battle, richard. I applaud your willingness to change and grow.

Seconded. Being high-strung is often the result of a highly stressful lifestyle. Evaluation of that lifestyle may be in order.

Best luck to you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:00 am
I like Region's definition...! :-)

While it's undoubtedly a good idea to try to achieve a more even keel, I'll throw out there that it could be a matter of compatibility, too. One person may want a partner who is laid-back and easygoing, while another person may want to have a partner who is full of energy and can jump from one activity to another without breaking stride.

But I do think relaxing/ getting control over your life sounds like a good idea.
0 Replies