Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:54 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:25 pm
The quality of the insurance is the next thing to ponder. Many plans are woefully inadequate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 06:33 pm
I think we need that tax/assessment on companies. It's not a lot of dough and we won't be able to fund the program without all the help we can get. I wonder what else he vetoed......
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
I agree, Littlek. Presumably, the lawmakers can restore it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:02 pm
presumable. It's made for interesting news.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:10 pm
The Democrat-dominated state legislature usually overrides any and all Romney vetoes. They do that as a matter of course, just because it's Republican Romney. I'm tempted to say, good for them.

How effective this program will be and how much of it is just hoopla, is yet to be seen. Funding is one problem. Extent of actual coverage is another. As the article posted by edgar points out, Romney is a serious contender for the GOP presidential nomination next time around. Could this have something to do with his sudden concern for adequate health care?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:14 pm
I'm sure that he is motivated by his future candidacy. I am grateful, hoopla or not, that this is happening. Even if it fails we should learn a lot about alt health care in the US, no?

So, the legislature hasn't signed off on the proposal yet? I was wondering about that. I know they had vowed to veto his vetoes, but then I heard that the new plan goes into effect very soon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:08 pm
Adequate health care was an issue which hurt Clinton.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
littlek wrote:
So, the legislature hasn't signed off on the proposal yet? I was wondering about that. I know they had vowed to veto his vetoes, but then I heard that the new plan goes into effect very soon.

The plan goes into effect 1 July 2007 (According to the Boston Globe's reports) so there is still plenty of time for all the usual MA politicos to get in there and f**k it up. I'm not convinced it will look anything like the bill that was passed by the time it goes into effect.

I don't know that it will be all that easy to over-ride the vetoed item. There were plenty of Dems in the State House that voted for the plan because it was balanced (along with the fact that it was brought up and voted on in short notice to prevent much discussion or review.). Very little in this State seems to get passed without a trade off and there doesn't seem to be a trade-off currently for a vote to over-ride.

I don't really "get" Romney's veto though. Leaving the line in there and forcing employers to pitch in would be better for him politically in the long run and it leaves the whole thing open to being tinkered with to much.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 02:10 pm
Mass Residents Health Insurance New Law
The only good thing about this law is that it might be better than nothing, but even that's questionable. It will end up with the newly insured having high deductibles while the businesses that don't participate pay relatively small amounts in penalty.

Perhaps it's a start, but Governor I-want-to-be-President Romney isn't helping any. He just wants something that looks superficially good on his credentials.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
Well, for me, the type who pays my own way for health insurance, it should be a good thing. So they say.
0 Replies