"Transnationalists" don't take immigration reform seriously

ebrown p

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 09:58 am
America is a multicultural society. Without question (at least in my mind) the fact that America is a land of immigrants from many cultures, each of whom contributed to the whole, this is one of the best things about America.

How anyone can claim multi-culturalism is a bad thing, and even that it is destructive given US history is beyond me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 10:41 am
ebrown
ebrown_p wrote:
America is a multicultural society. Without question (at least in my mind) the fact that America is a land of immigrants from many cultures, each of whom contributed to the whole, this is one of the best things about America.
How anyone can claim multi-culturalism is a bad thing, and even that it is destructive given US history is beyond me.

I don't think anyone has claimed multi-culturalism is a bad thing, certainly not me. I have been opining about the difficulty of trying to combine cultures in a One World concept. Think about how difficult it is to combine tribal societies and then imagine the difficulty of country unity, especially among those where religion is the dominant ethos in a region where it is a part of their legal system.

BBB
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:31 pm
I will never give up on the United States and its Constitution.

If other peoples want to do away with their own states and governments, they are welcome to it. I think it's a two pipe dream, just as Marxism was. So long as there are people there will be governments, and there is no governmental system that compares with that we inherited. Within our borders our well-being and security are defined by the Constitution. Even if nationalism could be made to disappear, it would not make people less compassionate. We depend upon our government and nation as a guarantor of our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Without the government, who will constrain the dictators and religious zealots from oppressing the People? To abandon that the Constitution and country the sake of internationalism or transnationalism or some other ism I believe would be foolish indeed. I hope to be long dust before that dystopia arrives. In the meantime, I would resist placing the "world" or any idealogy over our Country and Constitution.

Compassion, on the other hand, is not bound by borders. It is also an ideal to be sought afer, but costs nothing and in mitigating suffering exemplifies the highest aspirations of the human race. One does not have to surrender their alliegance to their nation, home and family to be compassionate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:26 am
BBB
Multi-national corporations and our government's trade negotiators are leading the way to Transnationalism. Greed governs all.

BBB
0 Replies