grammar Q

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:18 am
Are these sentences grammatical? And if not, could you rewrite for me or explain what's wrong inside? Please :wink:
The guy you are seeing now used to be a bourgeoisie and enjoy a lot of privilege, however, after the 911 he became outcast pauper.
There is no suitable rule to comport outcast man who has stayed in prison, people used to treat them with privilege like casting them with special eyesight.
Will a pauper comport very well when he has a privilege to invited to rich man's villa? Many people may deny it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 649 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:05 am
They're not just ungrammatical. Your choice of words makes them virtually incomprehensible. I have no idea what you're trying to actually say in sentences #2 and 3.

In #1 (the only one that makes any sense), the grammar is not too bad, but the vocabulary needs some work. For example, nobody uses the word 'bourgoisie' these days except in a histical Marxist sense. The same is true of phrases like 'a lot of privilege' and 'outcast pauper.' Suggestion for rewrite:

This guy you are seeing used to be a solid citizen but has become a poor man since 9/11.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:08 am
No one person can be "a bourgeoisie", because "bourgeoisie" means "the middle class". A male member of the middle classes is a "bourgeois" and a female one is a "bourgeoise" (this is a loan-word from French as so is differentiated by gender).

"Comport" is a reflexive verb: if you use it at all it must be used reflexively, as in "will a pauper comport himself well?" But it is a rare and archaic word, many people don't know it, and it would be much better to use "behave".

BTW, Merry Andrew, here in the UK solid citizen just means a steady reliable kind of person; there is no implication of wealth.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:09 pm
"There is no suitable rule to comport outcast man who has stayed in prison, people used to treat them with privilege like casting them with special eyesight."

Is this what you're trying to say?

"Ex-convicts are given special treatment by the general public; they are viewed with suspicion."

"Privilege" most often means "an earned right" so the phrase "treat them with privilege" means the opposite of what I think you're trying for. To treat with privilege would be to treat like royalty, or very well, and your sentence seems to denote mistrust and suspicion.

Also, you need to know about articles. A, an, and the are the most common words of this type, and are used with nouns. Thus, you need to say "an outcast man," "an outcast pauper."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:19 pm
The guy you see now used to be a member of the bourgeoisie, and he enjoyed privilege; however, after 911, he became an outcast, and a pauper.
~~~

There is no suitable rule to comport outcast man who has stayed in prison, people used to treat them with privilege like casting them with special eyesight.

You lost me at "casting them with special eyesight". It is, at present, an unintelligible sentence.~~~

Will a pauper comport very well when he has a privilege to invited to rich man's villa? Many people may deny it.

My attempt at understanding his one:

Will a poor man know how to conduct himself in a rich man's home? Many people say, "No."
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:30 pm
OhByTheWay, did you mean 911 like a call to an emergency operator, or September 11? The date would be written 9-11 or 9/11 and pronounced "nine-eleven"; the emergency call would be spoken as "nine-one-one."
0 Replies