Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 11:27 am
@izzythepush,
Well I decided to cook. Went to the market and found a nice roast. Having it with potatoes and green beans.

After dinner we’re making homemade chocolate chip cookies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's the first time I've actually made meatballs as opposed to buying them ready made.

Good for you. Especially ground beef recipes should not be bought - gawd knows what they put in there.

Here it's so freaking hot and humid, I just eat tons of watermelons .
jcboy

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
All this talk about ready made and recipes that call for ground mince I feel like I’m in Great Britain. Cool

I'm just now putting the roast in the oven, going to cook it for three hours Cool
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:01 pm
@jcboy,
and slices of quince
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:37 pm
@jcboy,
We use mince instead of ground not as well as, ground beef = beef mince.

We grind our coffee, and sometimes we do a bit of mincing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:07 pm
They make this ultra thin flat bread that is marketed as a pizza base mostly. Useless as pizza. But it makes a hell of a cracker. Brush about 1.5 Tablespoon olive oil or butter flavor shortening fulling covering. Sprinkle with salt/pepper spice as you wish, and baked on a stone 370 for about 5 minutes. Slice into crackers immediately. Would be awesome brushed with garlic flavor shortening.

We did this with a nice selection of cheeses and meats. YUM.

Never even got to dinner, which was Indian spiced lamb shanks and a indian flavored rice pilaf made out of the grease of the shanks. That turned out ******* awesome too. Is now din din tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:15 pm
Pizza - provolone, some thick tomato sauce that I had put roasted broccoli in, some previously sauteed sweet peppers (red/gr/orange/yel), some cut up already cooked bacon, some fresh garlic, some bits of prev sauteed jalapeno. This only involved opening the freezer and then microwaving the slices as I made two big pizzas last week.
alex240101

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 01:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Headed down town for this in one hour. I might not make it after reading three pages of this thread. And hello ossobuco.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTECWbgUfRb9zlnk5QOzm-o3iYATEM9ugxBFnMg1aqqYtguclzU
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you know how sometimes when a group of people sing together, their voices come together so perfectly that it seems like another voice is created - think of umami as the flavour version of that phenomenon Smile

What a great description! Smile

I made carmelized onions in balsalmic vinegar with chicken. We took whole wheat tortillas and spread cream cheese with chives and garlic on them....rolled them up and yum yummmm....

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 09:05 pm
cooked up about a pound of carrots yesterday
earlier today I caramelized a giant onion

today - 2 gorgeous boneless chicken breasts went into a large saute pan with a little oil ... once the chicken breasts were nicely golden ... the onions went in ... then the carrots ... then about a half pound of green beans ... finally swirled in a jar of fire roasted tomato sauce ... let everything cook for about half an hour

so good with Ace bakery baguette to mop up the sauce

the carrots are so flavourful this year
mismi

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Yummy.

We are having fish tacos tonight. I make a white barbecue sauce to go on them that I would pick up and eat the whole bowl with a spoon if I didn't have a little self control. Wink I do have a little.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 05:13 pm
@mismi,
mmm fish tacos
the only thing better is octopus tacos from Seven Lives
mmm x mmm

Smile

bought more ingredients to make another chicken carrot eintopf tomorrow

it's getting coldish here so it's nice to get more into soups and stews
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:17 pm
Dinner was in the afternoon today - Diane and I went to an old favorite restaurant, Indigo Crow in Corrales.
Best hamburger I've had in what seems like decades - a simple but thick and juicy medium rare (imagine that, these days of food fears, but they buy the best) with green chile sauce, world's best onion rings, salad greens and red onions at the side if you want to pile them on (no, on the side is fine), and so on.
She had a hard to describe salad she liked a great deal.

We both splurged on wine we liked, one glass each. Ahhhhh. I'm so used to bad wine now, at my budget level. This was one to sip - http://www.wine.com/v6/Terra-dOro-Zinfandel-2012/wine/135577/Detail.aspx
Maybe or maybe not it was 2012, probably 2013. Anyway, terrific. I have now two wines I've liked from Amador County, the other one being a good zin too. (I'm someone who often shuns Zin,) Forget the name, but I used to pay $23. a bottle at a wine store back a bunch of years ago. Birds on the label of that one, another incentive.

Diane's wine was good too (we each sipped a bit of the other), but I forget the name, a pinot noir.

Long lazy talking lunch. The place was busy, so much that we wondered if today was some holiday we'd not known about. Or maybe it has to do with the balloon festival. Or they are that popular all the time. Everybody in there or on the patio seemed like us, quiet talking over good food. We nearly outlasted the lunch folk, and by then traffic on Corrales Road had also quieted down. Corrales Road was beautiful to ride through, as usual.

I have leftovers: I saved some of the onion rings. I'll warm them up for breakfast.. maybe to go with one of my decreasing number of fishcakes in the freezer.

I forgot to add a review link - the reviewer understands:
http://www.nmgastronome.com/?p=153
That's worth a read re what the place is like.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:29 pm
Awhile ago I smoked and froze some pull pork, picnics done over about ten hours on my Weber with mesquite non briquette charcoal and chunks of cherry and hickory. The pork is washed in organic apple cider vinegar, Texas Pete, and sea salt. Tonight I am doing Pizzas, using pita bread as the base with walla walla's, green peppers , fresh mushrooms , mexi blend cheese and BBQ sauce. Will wash this down with Alaskan amber.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
sounds/looks good

read the review and then a pile of comments on FB

we've been doing soup/stew and stoop for a week now

I need to think outside of the soup pot
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Since I wrote all that, that I figure it's a different chef there than I'm/we're used to. (Walter & Blatham & Lola have been there with us). I liked the before menu better, it was simpler but still very fresh/seasonal, but chefs move on. This menu is on the twiddly cutie side that I'd rather avoid, as I look over the whole thing in that review.
I was remiss not to mention the wait staff were great.

On stoop - I have a tendency to live on soup/stew, burritos of my own food playing, and fishcakes.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
fishcakes.

I had some a while back with Canned Mackerel and pulverized cheese-its....OMG.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Is that omg good or omg bad?

My last batch was canned mackeral, no juice, mashed potatoes, 2 eggs, and stuff - stuff being a splotch of what ever greens I've already sauteed with garlic and spices; sometimes diced peperoncini or jalapeno or not; sometimes turmeric or curry powder, or who knows what. I've stopped putting the patties in corn meal before adding to the mildly oiled pan. Serve with a dip; those vary as much as the fishcakes.

Um, fish and cheese, an italian no-no, which is where my instincts lie. On the other hand, I'm from california.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
It was good. THe fatty of the mackerel and the cheddar was an awesome combination. I added some heat with hot sauce in the mix that made it better. Cans of mackerel used to be cheap too, cant recall if they still are. One can makes a lot though. I put old bay in it,very recomended but also very not italian.

OK, I grew up with fish with cheddar and potato chips on top, maybe our mileage varies on this.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm generally on the no fish/cheese crossover

but this piece covers the one place I'm willing to reconsider

anchovies

when there are anchovies, I like to see good parmesan nearby

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/02/fish-and-cheese_n_5417507.html