Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:41 pm
@mismi,
Sounds excellent.

Have you tried making broth with roasted bones?
mismi

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:42 pm
@ehBeth,
nope. I never heard of roasting bones.

So - I just put them in the oven and roast them?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:46 pm
@mismi,
yup

I usually put a tiny bit of oil and some herbs in the roasting pan but it works just fine without

the roasted bones make an especially rich broth - apparently the broth gains umami Smile

edit: 25 - 30 minutes at 350/375 should do it

I think it's especially wonderful if you've got a rotisserie chicken - throw the whole dang carcass in the roasting pan with an onion and a little oil - then use that as your broth starter
mismi

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
umami
I shall have to look that up...

Well...I LOVE making my own stock...so I find it sad that I did not know about roasting the bones. Thank you sweet Beth.

I shall try it soon. Smile
ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:56 pm
@mismi,
http://www.umamiinfo.com/2011/02/What-exactly-is-umami.php

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/apr/09/umami-fifth-taste
Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 07:06 pm
Tasty black rice over Cuban black beans. Broiled Norwegian (farm raised) Salmon. The salmon speaks fluent Norwegian. Very a-fjord-able.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:08 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
umami is a pleasant savoury taste imparted by glutamate, a type of amino acid, and ribonucleotides, including inosinate and guanylate

I seeeeeeee..... Shocked

No really. Wink I get what you said now. Thank you
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:39 am
@mismi,
you know how sometimes when a group of people sing together, their voices come together so perfectly that it seems like another voice is created - think of umami as the flavour version of that phenomenon Smile
glitterbag

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 03:23 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

We’ve all been invited to the Queen’s house for dinner. We’re having steaks on the grill with baked potatoes and corn on the cob. I’ll bet her husband will be doing the cooking, she still can’t boil water. Cool

I have the recipe for boiling water, would you like me to send it to you for the 'Queen", or do you have a recipe that you can offer to her?
FBM

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 03:31 am
I just finished moving into a new place and started scoping out the neighborhood. Near the new place is a restaurant that serves probably my favorite Korean dish of all times. I just polished off a meal of pork neck bone stew: https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=%EB%BC%88%EB%8B%A4%EA%B7%80%ED%95%B4%EC%9E%A5%EA%B5%AD&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=635&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCNPd-7C7y8cCFSLgpgodJiUGxw

I'm stuffed to the gills and ready to watch my favorite baseball team lose again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 09:26 am
I had pork stew last evening too (shoulder, if I remember, it's been a while, as I can make one pork purchase last a long time utilizing the freezer). This time I tossed in the pot: cut up slow roasted pork, diced pepperoncino pepper, some chicken broth, some tomato sauce I'd saved (spices, roasted broccoli), some sauteed collard greens, pink rice, some leftover mix of cooked lemony lentils and prev cooked farro, fresh garlic, caramelized onions. I added water and simmered for a while. Well, damn, that turned out very well, while helping to semi clean out my small freezer.
The pepperoncino added just the right heat.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:22 pm
@glitterbag,
You can try but she will probably burn it Cool
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:25 pm
I want hot wings I want hot wings.! OMG

The baby of the family Alex Martin is our Friday night dinner guide. He wants hot wings and fries.

I can hardly wait.
Confused Razz
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@jcboy,
I love hot wings

but with celery

Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:33 pm
tonight was leftover auflauf (no idea what that word is in English - maybe stuff in a pot?)

diced sweet onion
smushed garlic
sliced mushrooms
sliced white pepper
quartered tomatoes
chopped up chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken
a handful of peppery salami chunks
chopped up potato wedges
lots of random herbs and freshly ground black pepper

into a hot pan in that order

once everything was cooked I added a little bit of butter and sweet mustard

it all still had nice texture and tasted good

love love love fresh field tomatoes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 09:29 pm
I got weary - spent more time than I intended making a batch of crumpets. Well, crumpets in name only, since I don't use the crumpet rings to make them, just treat them like pancakes (well, sort of). It got tedious, especially because I was also trying to fill out my fantasy football draft choices, a matter that takes me close to forever to do, to get it all in preferred order..... in between flipping crumpets. So, dinner is some cold cuts and olives and a glass of red.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
You made pikelets.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 08:45 am
@izzythepush,
The pikelet recipe(s) I've looked at had a fair amount of sugar in them, and the regular crumpet recipe I used yesterday only had a pinch to go in with the yeast (to me, it doesn't even need that). I think I looked at more than one but am not sure.

Yesterday's recipe was way complicated and I'll give that one a pass, but I've another batch of crumpet recipes in my recipe files. But, I'll look at more pikelet recipes too.
jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 09:00 am
Well last night I picked up some mild hot wings came home and had a quiet evening. The Rican and I had sandwiches while the kids chowed on wings and fries.

We’re staying in tonight and the Rican is going to make homemade tacos. Cool

http://oi60.tinypic.com/ilegc5.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 09:07 am
@jcboy,
Oh, goodie! I want pictures, please, says the taco lover.