Dinner tonight - or last night.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2014 10:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Roast duck with flat wok noodles
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 05:01 pm
I stopped at Gelson’s today to pick up everything for dinner. I’m going to be making Vodka Chicken with penne pasta and for a vegetable I’m making green beans with hazelnuts and lemon.

It’s been a while since I made the vodka chicken but that last time they both loved it. I can tell when they like my cooking when they ask for a second helping.

Vodka Chicken

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 07:33 pm
@jcboy,
Gelson's, that was my main store, the one in Marina del Rey. Not sure exactly, a lot of Venice was real estated up to being the Marina. Don't get me going..

Anyway, I liked that place. For example, they had a sharp bread slicer.
Also I was all over some spinach things in their deli (forget the proper name).

Their pizza back then was a fail. Carrots on pizza?

jcboy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep, I had forgotten all about Gelson's until I moved back to CA, we didn't have anything like them in Florid. They have everything at Gelson's Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 08:28 pm
@ossobuco,
The spinach things were knishes, I'd forgotten the word.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:00 pm
The Puerto Rican is slow roasting a beef brisket.

He’s serving it with whole beans and a beef flavored rice.

No cooking for me this evening.
chai2

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:01 pm
@jcboy,
oh man, that sounds gooooood.
jcboy

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:03 pm
@chai2,
It smells good, sometimes it's hard to cook a brisket, sometimes its very tender and sometimes not so much, I guess the key is to slow roast it at a very low temp and for about 4 to 5 hours.

Personally I think I'm a better cook then he is Cool
chai2

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:05 pm
@jcboy,
yes, briskets and roasts must be down slow and low. That I learned the hard way.

What's your specialty?
jcboy

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:10 pm
@chai2,
When I roast a brisket I rub dijon mustard all over it then sprinkle a package of Lipton French onion soup mix on top and slow roast it for about 5 hours,

Last one I made was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Yummy Cool
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:23 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Personally I think I'm a better cook then he is Cool

Rolling Eyes

Yeah right!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:31 pm
@MMarciano,
I still do your green chile chicken thing.

So, prove it, j.c.
MMarciano

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:32 pm
@chai2,
I quarter an onion, add four cloves of garlic, place the brisket on top and slow roast it for close to five hours. The onion gives it a sweet flavor, then I blend the onion, garlic and make a nice gravy out of it.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Not since we moved to CA, I haven't found tomatillos in the local supermarkets here. Morgan said we would have to take a trip our of the area like L.A. which isn't my favorite place to visit.

Be back this weekend, dinner is ready and the children are hungry!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:46 pm
@MMarciano,
Hmm.
I've relatives in O.C. - they are sort of my opposites in views and tastes - but there's a space on the road from there to LA, I forget the name. More toward LA.

Instead of guessing what is going on in high end markets, I'd nose around for what is there in latino markets in the entire area.
Me, I get my tomatillos at walmart, though not lately, as I despise the parking lot, aka death trap in wait, besides other reasons.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:52 pm
We have a market in Albuquerque, Ranch Market, wonderful with a latino emphasis, major good re produce, but also with a huge lot of things you need. I've no idea if they are part of a system.
jcboy

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:19 am
@ossobuco,
Last night I made breaded baked pork chops with brussel sprouts and mac & cheese. Antonio love his mac and cheese.

Tonight we’re going out to dinner but Sunday I’ll be making Sunday dinner. I’ve been cooking more fish lately so I’m thinking of halibut, just for the hell of it Cool
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:23 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
I’m thinking of halibut, just for the hell of it Cool

When Bjork was learning English her favourite word was halibut.
jcboy

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:34 am
@izzythepush,
Halibut is my favorite fish and I could never get it while living in Florida. I asked a few times for it at the fish counter and was told they don't sell it there because it's a northern fish, they could special order it for you but at a price of $30.00 a lb Shocked
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:39 am
@jcboy,
That's a lot of money for a halibut.