MURDER WILL OUT?

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:27 am
Shedden, Ontario, in Southwold township, is a mere village, to the southwest of London, Ontario. London itself is a small city, between Detroit and Toronto, somewhat closer to the former.

On Saturday morning, in a farmer's field near Shedden, the bodies of eight men were found, along with several vehicles--and they had obviously been murdered.

CTV-dot-ca wrote:
Autopsies planned for Ont. mass murder victims

Updated Mon. Apr. 10 2006 7:47 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Autopsies are planned for today on the bodies of eight men found murdered over the weekend in a rural area in southwestern Ontario.

Ontario Provincial Police say that men found dead in the farmer's field in Shedden, Ont., on Saturday were known to each other and were from the Greater Toronto Area.

CTV article here

It was reported on CBC this morning that the Hell's Angels' web site has taken the unusual move of denying that there is any connection between that organization and these murders. The common speculation is that the murders have an organized crime connection of some kind, and may have derived form drugs or illegal fire arms--and the property is said by the CBC to be owned by a motorcycle gang member.

What is also interesting is that this story is making a big splash throughout the English-speaking world. CNN and MSNBC have stories, as does the Beeb--and when i searched for this story online, the CBC was doing a story about the media presence in this little town--the mayer says he has no training or experience for dealing with such a media event. I found news stories at sites in New Zealand, Australia, and other sites in England, as well as (obviously) a host of newspaper sites in Canada. I suppose it qualifies as an unusual story because Canada has an image of a peaceful and sane nation, and the idea of criminal motorcycle gangs and mass murders are not commonly associated with the nation's image.

Welcome to the real world--i wonder if the killing of a teenaged girl, a bystander, during a Boxing Day shoot-out by gang members in Toronto attracted the same attention.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,743 • Replies: 23
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:08 am
So if I understand this. There were 8 guys, each found dead in their cars. Some of the cars were thousands of feet apart, they werent huddled in a cluster.
None of the local news peddlers had anything about whether the victims were shot, or were they garroted , or what. This could have been some "car cult" mass suicide.
Were these , indeed, bikers?
Meth has reared its head again down here and the Philly suburbs are still a node of production. There are always houses just blowing up in nice suburban neighborhoods . Some "cook" gets too eager to complete his batch and the pots full of solvents just took off.

Weve got the AMish kids involved even. The bikers are using the "Rhumspringers" to act as mules. Every so often an Amish kid gets picked up or even killed.

I yearn for the days when the Mafia kept it down to more targeted assasinations, oh well, we cant live in the past.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:11 am
Last Boxing Day?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:28 am
Yes, Miss Wabbit . . . on Boxing Day, the area around "The Bay" (the flagship store of the Hudson's Bay Company) was thronged with shoppers. Nearby, on a corner by an athletic shoe store, gang members began to shoot at one another, and a teenaged girl (i believe she was 14) was killed in the crossfire. The RCMP (oops, Royal Canadian Mounted Police--who fill the role in Canada of the American Federal Bureau of Invesigation) allege that organized crime goes online to identify gun collectors, and then targets them for burglary. Antique or rare guns are fenced, and ordinary guns are sold on the street. Increasing gun violence is a major topic of public discussion in Canada.

FM, meth is a problem in Canada, as well, as is the growing of high grade marijuana. The Hydro, as the publicly-owned electric company is known, works with police agencies to identify unusual patterns of electricity use to help find those with "grow operations" in their homes. Motorcycle gangs are, just as is the case in the United States, major players in such operations.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:32 am
This is about the only topic on CBC1 this morning. They just played part of a documentary which was done a few years ago about how motorcycle gangs are moving into Canada, and buying property--sometimes remote farms such as this, and at other times, bars and nightclubs.

From the article above:

Quote:
Three members of the Bandidos motorcycle club were reported missing by relatives Friday and may be among the eight bodies, according to a report published Monday in The Globe and Mail.

and

Quote:
But police refused to speculate on a motive behind the grisly killings.

"The Hells are present in Ontario; everybody knows that,'' Ontario police Det.-Supt. Ross Bingley told a news conference.

"But as far as me discussing the Hells or anybody else, we're working on this murder case, and we're not talking about the Hells.''

(The reference is to the Hell's Angels motorcycle gang.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:47 am
Interesting fur sure, I had thought it was illegal to be a murder victim in canada. My how time changes things when you're in a coma.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
I don't believe charges have yet been laid against the eight corpses, Dys, but the authorities are playing their cards close to the cuff. They have been reluctant to make statements.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:31 am
worse case of suicide weve ever seen.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
farmerman wrote:
So if I understand this. There were 8 guys, each found dead in their cars. Some of the cars were thousands of feet apart, they werent huddled in a cluster.

Huh? How did the perps manage to pull this off if they weren't all in one group? Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
All the vehicles were found pretty close together, in a wooded area, toward the edge of a farmer's field.

Quote:
Biker slayings called 'internal cleansing'

Five people have been arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the gangland-style shooting of eight men who were associated with or full-fledged members of the Bandidos motorcycle gang, police said.

LONDON -- Five people have been charged with first-degree murder in what police have labelled the "internal cleansing" of the Bandidos biker gang.

Among the four men and one woman facing eight counts of first-degree murder in the slayings of the eight men tied to the notorious club is Wayne Kellestine, a full-patch member of the Bandidos.

The bodies of the eight men were discovered Saturday morning on an isolated dirt road southwest of London.

National Post

a bit of history

Mr. Muscedere - what a prince
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:47 am
Re: MURDER WILL OUT?
Setanta wrote:
Welcome to the real world--i wonder if the killing of a teenaged girl, a bystander, during a Boxing Day shoot-out by gang members in Toronto attracted the same attention.

I got quite a few calls about this one at work in January. Lots of Americans offering me condolences. Not sure why they thought they should be extended to me personally, but thanks in any case.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
Good for them. I suspect, however, that it did not attract all that much attention in the New Nited States.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
Hell, we have2 or 3kids a day being killed in Philly alone
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:01 am
A daughter of one of the victims made a tearful plea to be left alone by the media. She also pointed out that they have no business describing all of them as "gang members" in a context of criminality. This is not a comment on my part about whether or not everyone concerned was involved in criminal activity, because, simply, i don't know. In a subsequent CBC interview, a commentator pointed out to the reporter that they are continually referred to as "gang members" without a distinction as to criminality, pointed out that the news reader did it again in response to his comment, and asked if the news reader could state without a doubt that all the victims were criminals. He pointed out that, in fact, investigators consider this a "cleansing" by gang leadership, and that some of the victims may have been killed because of a refusal on their part to engage in particular criminal activity. Once again, i'm just reporting what i heard, not that i know these things to be fact.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:01 am
Setanta wrote:
Good for them. I suspect, however, that it did not attract all that much attention in the New Nited States.

It apparently got quite a bit of news coverage in the U.S. I wasn't telling them about it - they were calling me in response to what they'd seen on the TV. Not sure why it got so much US media coverage, but it was there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
A couple of people in our office know the tow truck companies that two of the fellas worked for. Their comment was "what took so long?".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:31 am
I subscribe two two morning newspapers. One is provincial. The other is Big Town Metropolitan. The first newspaper ignored the story. The second published both the original AP release, followed by breaking developments.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:40 pm
At least 150 people have died during the eight-year turf war between the Hells Angels and the Rock Machine.

CBC News Online

Biker gang members share a passion for leather jackets and motorcycles. But beneath the image of long-haired rebels with tattoos lies a criminal underworld.

Rival gang members are beaten, tortured and killed over turf. The gangs are fueled by multibillion dollar drug deals, with car theft, prostitution and money laundering rounding out the sources of revenue.

Biker gangs share these characteristics:
They show off their colors in public.
Biker gangs use force and violence to survive and grow. Intimidation, arms and explosives are their weapons of choice.
The organizations have a hierarchical structure. Committing crimes is left to new recruits while those higher up reap the rewards.
The hierarchical structure allows the leaders to operate with impunity while flaunting their image of power to attract recruits and draw them into crime.
It is difficult for law-enforcement agencies to infiltrate these organizations because becoming a member involves committing crimes.
The Criminal Intelligence Service of Canada considers the Hells Angels to be the foremost organized crime group, topping traditional Mafia and ethnic gangs. The Hells Angels began in 1948 in California and has grown to a network of 1,800 members in 22 countries.

It's estimated that Canada has about 250 full-fledged members and about 2,000 associates. The largest and most-feared chapter of the Hells Angels was formed in Montreal. In 1977 it merged with another gang called the Popeyes.

The Hells Angels' arch-rivals are the Rock Machine. The Rock Machine appeared on the Montreal crime scene in 1986 and now numbers about 60 full-fledged members.

Biker gangs are run like lucrative businesses. The FBI estimates the Hells Angels take in $1 billion a year worldwide from drug trafficking. In 1995, the east-end Montreal drug trade alone was worth about $5 million.

But the profits come at a deadly price. At least 150 people have died during the eight-year turf war between the Hells Angels and the Rock Machine. While Canadians were aware of the biker war, few cared until the death of 11-year-old Daniel Desrochers. He died when a bomb exploded outside a biker hangout.

His death and the outrage that followed prompted Bill C-95, the legislation that stiffens penalties for convicted offenders who are shown to be members of established criminal organizations.

Justice Minister Anne McLellan hopes the bill has enough teeth to stem the violence and end the crime. "As they find new ways to commit their criminal acts and hide their ill-gotten gains … it's incumbent on us to be one step ahead of them at least."

But as police and politicians attempt to put a stop to organized crime, biker gangs are expanding. The Rock Machine is rapidly spreading from Quebec into Ontario. So are the Hells Angels. They're countering with plans to expand into Ottawa and Sudbury. Police have also noticed a growing friendship between Hells Angels and Ontario's Satan's Choice gang.

Police fear the Rock Machine's expansion is their first step to build a cross-Canada network. The Rock Machine hopes to join a larger world-wide biker gang called the Bandidos. Their alliance may already be developing; the Bandidos Web site welcomes the Rock Machine members to their fold.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bikergangs/
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:09 pm
I was in Vancouver when the 15 year old was gunned down. There was a feeling amongst the Canadians that the age of innocence had ended...Canada was soon to follow the USA into an armed killing ground
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:17 pm
Speaking for the west coast here, drive-by shootings are a far too common occurence these days. A lot of it has to do with the drug trade.
0 Replies