What is it when time is divided?

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:25 am
As an uncountable noun, "time" can hardly be cut into pieces.

But there is a situation: Suppose a person is always busy with his research. He managed to find short periods (when he is not so occupied) for a task. After working on the task off and on, finally he finished the task.

In this case, can I say "tiny pieces of time" or "fragmentary time"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 786 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:06 am
You could say he worked on the task intermittently, that he made spaces in his schedule, that he worked on it from time to time...

Like you say, time cannot be cut into pieces, but it can be plural. Eg he was generally busy with his research but there were times when he was able to perform this other task.
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:19 am
Thank you.

If I want to express the following idea, in what way should I say?

Quote:
If you can make full use of "tiny pieces of time", you can accomplish a great task which is seemingly impossible to be done within the "tiny pieces of time".

Here "tiny pieces of time" refers to short periods when you squeeze time out of your full schedule.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
Subdivision of time...

Of course you can "cut time up" into pieces! You can "cut it up" into years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds. Also less precisely you can have moments, periods, spells, instants, and so on.

Common phrases for what you are describing are "spare moments", "slack times", "snatched moments", "stolen moments" "less busy moments (or times)" etc etc

Referring to your quoted sentence, this sentence expresses the idea:-

My mother worked in a factory in Paris. In spare moments she taught herself French.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
For one thing, I'd say "fragments of time" rather than "fragmentary time" which doesn't really mean anything relevant.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
And I wouldn't say "tiny pieces of time", but "tiny bits of time".
"Bits" seems to me to be less limited to physical/tangible segments than "pieces". although you could say "bits and pieces of time" - that sounds more natural, to me, anyway.
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:26 am
Thank you a million, contrex and Tomkitten.

Referring to
Quote:
Also less precisely you can have moments, periods, spells, instants, and so on.
, what other words can you come up with?
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
And how to refer to a long period which is not interrupted by some other people or matters, so that you can focus your attention on a single task?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 12:07 pm
Quote:
And how to refer to a long period which is not interrupted by some other people or matters, so that you can focus your attention on a single task?

Heaven.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:14 pm
ilovequestions wrote:

a uninterrupted spell or period perhaps. English is not a language which has a specific word for every possible thing. You would choose a word for a non specific, non-trivial length of time, eg spell, period, etc and preface it with an adjective such as uninterrupted or clear.
0 Replies