Muscle strain Q

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:24 pm
Ok. So I wasn't sure whether to put this in Sports&Fitness or here, but here goes.

Two days ago now I woke up with serious pain in my calf. When I went to step out of bed, I planted my heel and toes to the floor like usual and a BIG shock of pain went through my leg. Upon examination by me, the muscle feels knotted; but no redness or bruising visible-so probably not a lot of internal bleeding. Anyhow, for these two days it hasn't gotten any better; it hurts so badly that I can not stretch it out properly at all. I have been doing the whole R.I.C.E thing as much as I can. Not helping.

Question: how long until the pain subsides and I can start rehabing it and walking normally?
This sucks and is a setback to my goals; and a friggin' annoyance in doing the things I normally accomplish. I do not want to baby it; but I don't want to do further damage.

Note: going to a doctor is not an option unless this could possibly be anything actually serious. I go to doctors way too much as it is; unavoidably. Sports doc or physio is not an option right now bc I don't have the money for that!

Also, what else can I do to speed up recovery?

When I was asking around with fam/friends and looking up info; the idea seemed to be that it can not be a calf strain bc then it would be hard to go on my tiptoes. AS it is for me; I can not go down on my heel and have been having to go on my tiptoes to walk.

I am pretty sure the muscle was damaged by too much weight and exertion on my part.

Thanks. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:01 am
Why do you think it's due to weight and exertion? What happened 24 -48 hours before you first had the pain.

The first thing I thought of when you said deep pain upon standing in the morning and not being able to come down on your heel was phlebitis.

If it's phlebitis and it's in a deep vein then you absolutely need to seek medical help.

Here's a site with good info on phlebitis phlebitis

Good luck, keep icing, and don't fool around with it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:04 pm
Ok. Thanks JB. It isn't letting up, so I'm gonna go the clinic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:34 pm
<sending positive thoughts>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:04 pm
Yes, me too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:17 pm
Good luck - good move, too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:10 pm
tap..... tap...... tap.....
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:08 pm
So the doc. said I tore a muscle. Which is good news, because it is not a blood clot or anything more serious. Basically, he told me to keep doing what I was doing - and to take some ibuprofen every day to help with the swelling/pain. He was gonna give me some muscle relaxant - I pocked the prescription but didn't get it (yet). I have taken those before and they make me 'stoned' which I can't have while working and running around! But it's there if I need it.

The reason I thought it was a strain was because I had done some *questionable* weight lifting a day or so earlier. He told me to take it easy and be careful.

I will, I just have a tendency to overdo things sometimes. Injuries like this I usually shrug off....but this time, it was a bit of a reality check. I'm not a teenager anymore and need to take better care.

Thanks for the concern and the info. It got me to the clinic, which was probably the wisest thing to do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
whew! Glad all is well, or at least on it's way to being well. Take it easy, k?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:02 pm
Whew, too. I was worried about you today..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
Torn muscle though, owie!

Take it easy. (I know, easier said than done, I'm the same way...)
0 Replies