Italian elections

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:08 am
Now: Senat 50.4% vs. 48.6%
(Camera still no better result than previous.)
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:13 am
Annybody knows when about we will have the final result?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:21 am
I suppose, the provisory final resul for the camera will be out shortly - the final will last since that includes all the expatriate polls as well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
Two telling snapshots (emphases mine):

Quote:
Berlusconi threatens to fight election before votes are final

As one of the nastiest and strangest election campaigns in modern European history ground to a halt this weekend for two days of voting that end this afternoon, Mr. Berlusconi threatened to challenge the results. [..]

As if to guarantee an unstable result, in his final speech on Saturday, Mr. Berlusconi threatened to bring in United Nations observers, implying that he would not accept the results of a negative vote.

"There's a clear alliance between the major newspapers, the banks and the courts to plot against me," said Mr. Berlusconi, who owns or controls all seven of Italy's TV networks. "With the newspapers on their side and the TV stations behaving as if they are, we need United Nations observers to monitor electoral fraud." [..]

[The next bit, about the positions of the "left" and "right", could have been written exactly the same way about the Hungarian elections, btw - interesting - nimh]

It is in many ways a topsy-turvy election. Mr. Berlusconi, the conservative leader of a coalition of parties that range from centre-right to almost fascist, has built his campaign on increased government spending. He has vowed to give €1,000 (about $1,400) to anyone who has a child in an effort to improve Italy's dismal birth rate, and to expand the country's infrastructure, along with lavish tax cuts.

His promises, according to an estimate made on Friday by the Milan newspaper Corriere della Sera, will cost Italy between €36-billion and €101-billion a year.

Conversely, Mr. Prodi campaigned on fiscal prudence and economic liberalization, part of a trend across Europe in which parties of the left have often proven more adept at free-market economics than those of the right.

Mr. Prodi, 70, who served as Italian prime minister in the 1990s and later as European Union commissioner, is known for his fiscal rigour. He spent much of the campaign boasting of his boring, "calm" personality, a pointed contrast to Mr. Berlusconi's penchant for outrageous remarks.

It may have worked. As the campaign went on, Mr. Berlusconi likened himself to Jesus, claimed that the Chinese boil their babies, and characterized his opponents as "dickheads."

Such comments meant that Mr. Berlusconi dominated the front pages of Italian newspapers on almost every day of the election campaign, leading Mr. Prodi's advisers to attempt a few awkward efforts at flashiness. [..]

Never to be outdone, Mr. Berlusconi managed to end his campaigning Saturday on a characteristically embarrassing note.

Taking a group of schoolchildren on an impromptu tour of his official residence in Rome, he informed them, without provocation, that "all women over 23 in show business" have had breast enlargements.

Whether that pronouncement marked his last statement in office or not will be known today.

Quote:
Coco the Clown's tricks and stunts fall flat in Europe

Nominally a club of equals, the European Union is dominated by a few big beasts, a core of nations who lead through their wealth, population size and global reach.

By rights, Italy should be one of them. But under Silvio Berlusconi it has been a painful joke. [..]

one senior European Commission official remarked, [..] "Everybody already thinks of him as Coco the Clown" [..].

At EU summits, Mr Berlusconi has acted more like the head of a small, impoverished nation, putting all his energy into securing EU subsidies for southern Italy and, once bought off, losing interest in other business.

In Brussels, Eurocrats have been longing for a Romano Prodi win, openly, for months. The Belgian capital was the only foreign city where Mr Prodi staged an election rally and the hall was packed with off-duty Italian officials from EU institutions. [..]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
<holding breath>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:58 am
Senate now (18:45 CEST) 50% vs 49%

(That would be 158 vs 151 seats)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:15 pm
The latest

Camera
Unioni-Prodi 49,6% vs CDL-Berlusconi 49,9%

Senate
49.8% vs 49.1%
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:17 pm
Oy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:20 pm
Hmm, oy, oy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:22 pm
21:00 update:

49,5% vs 50%
50,2% vs 48,8
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:26 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:26 pm
But for the Camera there's still a third of the votes to be counted ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:32 pm
As i had understood what i heard on the radio, that won't signify.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:32 pm
As Italia has been successful as an anarchy for 2,000 years, does it matter who wins?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
21:00 update:

49,5% vs 50%
50,2% vs 48,8

BBC et al are reporting Berlusconi leading in both camera and senato..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:

BBC et al are reporting Berlusconi leading in both camera and senato..

Not according to the official counting - at above time, at least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The latest

Camera
Unioni-Prodi 49,6% vs CDL-Berlusconi 49,9%

Senate
49.8% vs 49.1%

Berlusconi seems to have the senate now. At the time the numbers were just as listed here, it was Berlusconi that had 49.8, not Prodi, as seems in this quote.

I understand it's not clear that he has the camera.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:35 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Berlusconi seems to have the senate now. At the time the numbers were just as listed here, it was Berlusconi that had 49.8, not Prodi, as seems in this quote.

Sorry for that, I was relying on Italian sources

http://i1.tinypic.com/v4xxn6.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:38 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Sorry for that, I was relying on Italian sources

... which show now (= 15 minutes old)

http://i1.tinypic.com/v4y0lf.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:32 pm