Condoms and Those " But what are the chances?!?!" Moments

el pohl

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:45 pm
Hello there. I define myself as a paronoid man when it comes to menstrual periods. Without wanting to explain my potentially - and hopefully - silly situation (at least not yet), I wanted to ask if some of you actually knew, for certain, stories on which a girl gets pregnant by apparently no reason.

What do I mean? Condoms, and good use of them. I've heard those stories before: "we protected ourselves, and yet... she became pregnant". Well, I've always believed that its BS. Some way to justify and excuse the unwanted consequence. After serious interrogation, it always comes to a "oh, we protected ourselves... expect that one night" or "well, I messed up a little bit, but didn't thought it would happen".

Anyways... a good condom, well used, is almost failproof. Right?

... Right??? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:47 pm
Almost.

And there's the rub (so to speak).
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:50 pm
What's the stats again? Damn, I haven't looked at a condom wrapped insert in a while. Laughing Something like 90+% effectiveness with condoms?

Accidents happen.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:50 pm
About 85% when used correctly, I think is the number. Those little guys are wiley. If it slips while you are inside her, they can get out and off they go! Or if there is a tiny, tiny hole....

Birth control pills are 99.9% effective and I know women who have gotten pregnant on the pill, even when used properly.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:51 pm
First result of "condom failure rate" Google search:

Quote:
During a year of perfect condom use, that number drops to 3 out of 100 women becoming pregnant. Just for the record, 21 percent (typical use) and 5 percent (perfect use) of women who use the Reality female condom experience an unintended pregnancy within the first year of use.

When trying to understand the effectiveness of condoms and other forms of contraception, it is helpful to know the definitions of "perfect use" and "typical use." "Perfect use" means that a form of birth control is used consistently and correctly all of the time. "Typical use" means it is used inconsistently or incorrectly some of the time and consistently and correctly other times.

Still 3% with "perfect use" -- used consistently and correctly all the time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
I have a niece who is the result of a properly used condom.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
Here ya go.

The Truth About Condoms

Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:53 pm
The best way to go is always bet that the odds are against you and protect yourself to the fullest extent....unless you are ready for the consequences.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:11 am
I hate percentages.

Woah, I was starting to narrate the complete story, when I received an SMS from my girl. Her period has arrived woohoo!!!

Im gonna take her to a gynecologist for pill indications... Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:22 am
Perfect condom use!
How can you use them wrongly?Put them on your toes.

I always find it amazing that pregnancies occur with protection.
The egg has to be in the right place, a sperm has to swim there and penetrate it,1 form of contraception should be in place but fails,all these things have to line up to get pregnant.

Just think, some couples can try to conceive for years and get nowhere, others can get pregnant just by looking at each other.

The body is an amazing machine.
My friend was on a form of injected contraceptive.She became blind in one eye, went to the doctors and found the blindness was caused by her being pregnant.

Personally I think people should use 2 forms of concraception, the pill and in this day and age, condoms.If that doesnt work then that little sperm is a gooden and the kids gona be a genius!!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:47 am
A friend of my brother (actually a doctor) slipped through the percentages.

I don't know how short the "relationship" was but it wasn't long-term. They used a condom, which broke, so she used the "morning-after" pill...and still became pregnant with twins!

While this upset her life a bit, she was in her mid 30s and had a very good support network (including parents with a big house, etc.) and was lucky enough that, while the relationship did not continue, the man was interested in supporting/being there for the children.

It's an ill wind...
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
Its a danged wind allright... and percentages always bring the pessimistic side of me.

Uncertainty is horrible...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
But that was mega unfortunate a condom, ok, it broke but isnt the lubricant on it supposed to kill sperm,AND th emorning after pill didnt work.

Blimey, theres that super sperm ive heard of.
0 Replies

onthequiet

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:52 am
married 10 years , average sex life ( 3 or so times a week give or take ) , condom used every time but when we planed kids and the 2 first goes , 2 kids .

Condom scores 100% success rate

Another thing bout condoms , i go allot longer so atleast get a better chance to give her hers if you know what i mean .... hehe
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:06 am
my wife and I used condoms after the birth of first child.
One broke so I sent to the manufacturer. Evil or Very Mad

I assume it broke cause I couldnt get the super size.
0 Replies