salvage

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:54 am
SEAL Demolition and Salvage Corporation (out of Baltimore)
among others, the company trains local police on scuba techniques and underwater salvage

The problem is the word "salvage". Does it refer to objects or to people in these cases?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 4
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:57 am
Objects.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
Specifically maritime or marine salvage, I would think.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:25 am
But the police? I've read about people in cars under water. These are also salvage operations.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:35 am
Webster's defines salvage as:

1 a : compensation paid for saving a ship or its cargo from the perils of the sea or for the lives and property rescued in a wreck b : the act of saving or rescuing a ship or its cargo c : the act of saving or rescuing property in danger (as from fire)
2 a : property saved from destruction in a calamity (as a wreck or fire) b : something extracted (as from rubbish) as valuable or useful

In this case, it sounds like definition 2a or b is the applicable one. Note that salvage generally refers to property.

People in cars underwater involve either rescue operations (if they're alive) or are forensic in nature, i.e., looking for evidence of crime or cause of death (if they're dead). In the process of doing one or the other, the car would be salvaged and the people rescued or the bodies recovered.
0 Replies