stood primed and poised

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:04 pm
syntinen wrote:
"Go by the board" I always thought actually was a perfectly good nautical term. I'm sure I have read in 19th-century and early 20th-century accounts of voyages sentences such as "the mizzenmast went by the board" - i.e. went over the side. Is it not originally nautical?

Yes it is, and I apparently did not read your previous post closely enough.
I was unaware of the "fancifully claimed" origins for some of these phrases, and took the nautically-based explanations in good faith.
Perhaps I am more gullible than most, or tend naturally to prefer a more colourful story.
Finding definitive proofs might be difficult, but I'll look up some more in the above-mentioned book.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:24 pm
stood primed and poised
The QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins gives the following:

"This expression, originating in England, literally means to go overboard, to fall down past the board, or side of a ship, into the sea. since the mid-18th century it has also figuratively meant to be utterly lost, as in the first recorded use of the expression: 'Every instinct and feeling of humanity goes by the board.'"

Again, the naval reference. . .
0 Replies