Italian translation anyone?

Don1

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:45 am
I would like to know the Italian translation of the term "let's talk" I've tried my translator but what it's given me doesn't look right.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 01:41 pm
Parliamo might fit the bill. It means, literally, "let us talk". If you wanted to say "Let's talk Italian" you'd say "Parliamo Italiano". Parliamo di donne means "let's talk about women". Parliamo dell'elefante means "let's talk about the elephant"...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:08 pm
In my on line translator contrex it gives parliamo as "we speak" Sad
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 07:18 am
Don1 wrote:
In my on line translator contrex it gives parliamo as "we speak" Sad

Yes it will do. Parliamo means both "we talk" (or speak) and "let's talk" depending on context. Online translation services are complete crap. They are no substitute for even a little knowledge and study.

Time for an Italian grammar lesson.

In Italian, the imperative form of a verb is formed according to certain rules. The first person plural imperative form, for example of parliamo, let us talk, is identical to the first person plural present indicative - we talk (or speak).

An Italian speaker would know what is meant from tone of voice (spoken) and/or context (spoken and written). The weakness of online translators is that they have no "knowledge" or "awareness" like a person does.
0 Replies