Circumcision at birth?

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:10 am
Now, I was somewhere else when I suddenly found myself drawn into a debate on circumcision. It was getting so virulent, you'd have thought it was a debate on politics or abortion.

Yet there it was. People arguing for circumcision. The people who weren't circumcised reacted in shock, thinking it was barbaric and unusually cruel. The circumcised people suddenly ended up feeling attacked and things went downhill from there on.

Now, I was surprised to learn that the majority of people in the US are circumcised. It was surprising to say the least, not least because there are no real medical benefits from circumcision.

However, I wanted to see your opinions on this supposedly health-related issue.

Personally, I think that circumcision is unnecessary. All the health benefits a circumcised penis have, can be easily achieved by washing an uncircumcised penis thoroughly. You have to pay for it, so that's more money for the doctor, less money for you. There's also the possibility that the circumicision operation may subtly and subconsciously affect the baby's mental health.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,922 • Replies: 36
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:26 am
I suppose its a religious thing too.

Maybe its about control, revenge?It happened to the father sio the father wants it done to his sons.I can hear a father saying 'Well its never done me any harm!!'

Maybe its about wanting to be part of a certain group.

Maybe the guys were circumcised while babies and didnt have a choice in the matter.
Did you ask them how old they were when they were circumcised?
Do you think many would choose to have it doen when they were 10-12 years old if it wasnt done when they were babies?

There is female circumcism too but I think its doen for different reasons.Personally I wouldnt like it to be done to me at any age for any reason.

That part of the male and female body is supposed o be treated nicely.

You say about effecting the recipients mental health.
I know of a story of a twin boys circumcision going wrong(it was lasered)half of it was accidntly cut off so the rst of it was removed and the boy was brought up as a girl.The doctor thought it was a simple case of nurture over nature.
Lots of things happened in the guys life as he grew up.
All I know is that he killed himself a couple of years back, and then his twin killed himself too.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:30 am
Ok, Ive just read the thread is called 'Circumcism at BIRTH'.So ignore some of my comments.
I still think they would think differently if they were expected to have in done when they are older.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:57 pm
Quote:

Now, I was surprised to learn that the majority of people in the US are circumcised.

You don't count females as people? That's pretty old-fashioned . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 03:52 pm
Re: Circumcision at birth?
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

There's also the possibility that the circumicision operation may subtly and subconsciously affect the baby's mental health.

I just know it made me gay and prone to wanting to eat tons of chocolate while reading Proust (or at least Swann's Way). Not to mention that it made me deathly afraid of alien autopsies and tax accountants.

Okay on a more serious note, people will defend or attack just about anything and the main fact of the matter is that I have yet to find a circumcised man who actually recalls the procedure. It happened, move on, get on with life...unless you want to get into the entire foreskin restoration malarkey which is out there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
Stalking the perfect foreskin.
I don't have anything. That phrase sudenly occurred to me. I am not circumcised and I am always surprised that people really care.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 06:53 pm
I am circumcised and I am always surprised that people really care!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:33 am
Im not circumcised and Id be very peed off that someone had messed with that part of me without my say so.If its not of any real benefit, keep your mits off!!
If im gona have it done itl be on my decision.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:54 am
I am circumcised and I think it's an demented form of unenlightened archaic mutilation. There is nothing to cover my oh-so-sensitive head when not erect. How stupid is that?

Maybe we should be removing the clitoral hood on women too or performing clitoridectomies?

All told, about 80 million women have had clitoridectomies; about 80 million women have undergone genital mutilation. Although most clitoridectomy victims are Muslims, it has also been practice by Christians, animists, and some Ethiopian Jews. Clitoridectomies were also occasionally recommended to "cure" female masturbators and women with "loose" moral virtues in the nineteenth- and early twentieth-century United States.
http://wgst.intrasun.tcnj.edu/newsletter/archives/april1993.html
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:40 am
It seems to have alot to do with *what other people want* for the person about to be mutilated.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:26 am
A penis is beautiful no matter how you cut it (or don't). Cool
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:37 am
flushd wrote:
A penis is beautiful no matter how you cut it (or don't). Cool

Well I know mine is Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:58 am
It seems like it might have made more sense before there was indoor plumbing. Still, I don't think it's fair to compare it to female circumcision, unless we started cutting the heads of men's penises off.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:56 pm
material girl wrote:
It seems to have alot to do with *what other people want* for the person about to be mutilated.

and by using the word mutilated you hit upon the word that those who are opposed to circumcision so readily use as their key word. Fact of the matter is, that there are men who still have their foreskin who look as though they have been mutilated. The circumcision itself is a simple procedure (either done medically or through religious procedure) it is not a mutilation. It follows a particular format. The word mutilation calls to mind a machete being swung wildly through the air and lopping away at whatever it happens upon. A standard circumcision is not performed that way. Needless to say there are risks but then again, life is filled with risks. Mutilation is a harsh word, and in my book an incorrect one.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:35 pm
It isn't mutilation to cut off a perfectly healthy organ of the body for religious or psudeo-medical reasons?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
No.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:31 pm
Sturgis wrote:
The word mutilation calls to mind a machete being swung wildly through the air and lopping away at whatever it happens upon.
Sturgis wrote:
Mutilation is a harsh word, and in my book an incorrect one.
It is a correctly used word.

mutilation.
mu·ti·late ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mytl-t)
tr.v. mu·ti·lat·ed, mu·ti·lat·ing, mu·ti·lates
To deprive of a limb or an essential part; cripple.
To disfigure by damaging irreparably: mutilate a statue. See Synonyms at batter1.
To make imperfect by excising or altering parts.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:11 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
It seems like it might have made more sense before there was indoor plumbing. Still, I don't think it's fair to compare it to female circumcision, unless we started cutting the heads of men's penises off.
Assuming I did make a direct and specific comparison (which I did not, it was in fact a point of interest as a relative comparison) would you then accept that the removal of the clitoral hood is OK or removal of portions or all of the inner and/or outer labia?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:11 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Assuming I did make a direct and specific comparison (which I did not, it was in fact a point of interest) would you then accept that the removal of the clitoral hood is OK and/or the removal of portions or of all of the inner and/or outer labia is OK?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:55 pm
A comparison is a comparison, I don't really think it matters whether it was direct, specific, relative, or twice removed.

I would not suggest that removing any female parts is ok.
0 Replies