Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:37 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,051 • Replies: 11
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:48 am
Compulsory voting is a practice that requires citizens to vote in elections or to attend a polling place and get their name crossed off the electoral roll. The term "compulsory voting" is actually a misnomer: because of the secret ballot, a person can only be compelled to cast a ballot, whether they have voted or not. If an eligible voter does not attend a polling place, they may be subject to punitive measures such as fines, community service, or even imprisonment.
In Australia, the initial reason for instituting compulsory voting was due to the immense losses suffered during World War I. Since 60,000 Australians had died in World War I, it was argued that Australians had a duty to use those freedoms so dearly bought. Voter turnout has not dropped below 94% since the general election in 1955 (when it was approximately 88%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:01 pm
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:31 pm
A few years ago Bush was pushing them out by the dozens (stupid quotes).
Since then he must have had a lot of speech lessons; he now sounds almost normal.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:33 pm
He has goten better hasn't he. I can't beleive we are talking about the most powerful man in the world learning to talk like hes a little kid.

Top Ten Things Overheard During George W. Bush's Vacation

10. "This vacation is flying by -- only 33 days left"

9. "Dang, Springer's a rerun"

8. "These margaritas are weapons of mass destruction"

7. "Whoever's in charge really screwed up the economy"

6. "My God! Mars is coming right at us!"

5. "Don't worry, George. In 17 months, you'll have the longest vacation of your life"

4. "Better start making stuff up for the State of the Union Address"

3. "I'm itching to declare another war"

2. "Proceed with 'Operation Letterman.' Make it look like an accident"

1. "Sitting around doing nothing reminds me of being president"
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:23 pm
Bush has A new nick name that I think is funney as hell "The decider". The daily show uses it.

What for the audio when (if) you go to this link. It's kind of freaky but it's funny

http://decider.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

"I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm "The Decider", and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1jJ5nAoaU9Q%26amp%3Bsearch%3Ddecider
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:08 pm
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
Last one's hilarious Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
oh christ
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:03 am
"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." --George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 26, 2006
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 12:09 am
"This process has been drug out a long time, which says to me it's political."

--George W. Bush, discussing the controversy surrounding Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, Sofia, Bulgaria, June 11, 2007

--------------------------

There's a lot of blowhards in the political process, you know, a lot of hot-air artists, people who have got something fancy to say."

--George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 17, 2007
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:53 pm
"Mr. Prime Minister, thank you for your introduction. Thank you for being such a fine host for the OPEC summit." --George W. Bush, addressing Australian Prime Minister John Howard at the APEC Summit, Sept. 7, 207

"As John Howard accurately noted when he went to thank the Austrian troops there last year..." --George W. Bush, referring to Australian troops as "Austrian troops," APEC Business Summit, Sept. 7, 2007

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies