Help art historians in Ljubljana

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
but my guy is most definitely in a graveyard (there's a headstone behind him, and angels, and an open casket), so what he holds may actually be a shovel, like littlek suggests... certainly unusual, even if it's cut out of a bigger painting.

You aren't serious here, are you?

Roman centurii carried a "vitis" (= vine stick).

This became later the 'officer's stick' - today still used in the British armed forces.

Not unusual at all on paintings of showing such persons, I think.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
but my guy is most definitely in a graveyard (there's a headstone behind him, and angels, and an open casket), so what he holds may actually be a shovel, like littlek suggests... certainly unusual, even if it's cut out of a bigger painting.

This became later the 'officer's stick' - today still used in the British armed forces.

He must be making a referance to somebody he killed with his "vitis".

Soldier pointing at ground + "vitis + Charubs (chubby miget angels) + casket = Dead guy on ground
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:49 pm
So... we haven't gotten far on this yet, eh? Walter, you are a good resource.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

no, walter, i am not quite serious. it all started as a semi - joke (what's the bloke pointing at?) .but then i got genuinely interested in the actual origin of the painting. though i don't know how far we'll be able to get here.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
well, staring into the painting some more, it seems to me (i can be wrong) that there is some battle going on (or just dying out) in the background - some fire.... maybe... who knows. maybe it's a depiction of some local battle...
or well, during austro-hungarian empire artistocracy would not hang a painting of slovenes fighting austrians... so it could be a war against Prussia or maybe even Turks... who knows.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
Hmmm, I wonder if Ul would have a point of view on this. She knows a bunch about art..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:16 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RAAMA9UTG50ujpDbJAaQmWSuk5Of!yRbr*cqTrTFQZDEbA7MadBk8ZTXo6Z4bZKYbjCeJKSyIbkjpHSGVG9ou6HuoGrN8V1oNY!64CPsRAc/Img_0422.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:22 pm
He looks rather princely, more so than rank and file soldierly..
perhaps some family member, Count Whatsis.

Is that angel snarling?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:23 pm
I posted that revised image after tinkering with it in paint shop....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:23 pm
Also, 'tis quite a luminous painting, in its way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:39 pm
Thats not a swagger stick, its a core sample. The man is the mining engineer of the famous quarries of Ludvitchzklvznyzc. Hes showing his men where to cut the next section of Ludvitchzklvznyzc Marble.
Laso, one can see that hes suffering from an advanced edema of his right leg. How does he keep from impaling his shins by those pointed metal ankle guards? The fire you see is the local population brewing up a batch of flavorful yet highly potent drink called, blemk.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:49 pm
Of course!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:51 pm
Blemk is good over a lot of ice. But... Europeans, indeed the rest of the world besides the US, I guess, doesn't like ice as much as I do.
Hmm, do Canadians like lots of giacchi (ice?)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hmm, do Canadians like lots of giacchi (ice?)

No, that's why we flock to Florida and the Caribbean every winter. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
Good comeback!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
Blemk is also good warmed up with sugar... Grog we call it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:58 pm
Er, that's ghiacci...
I think.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:32 pm
grog cannot be ghiacci. grog is hot hot hot. almost boiling.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:36 pm
Grog is in Italian ... grog.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:37 pm
well, i don't have a clue where it came from, but grog is very much slovak also.
0 Replies