Help art historians in Ljubljana

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:19 pm
So, I just came back from a conference in Ljubljana, where I stared at this bloke on a painting for three days. It struck me as quite odd. What is that man doing? What is he pointing at? And what is he holding in his hand? He is apparently standing on top of some hill, yet there is a painting behind him.... I asked the organizers what it was, but they didn't know. Since the painting is at an institute for social sciences, including historians, I presume a number of people studied it. They don't know who it is and what it's about...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAIgTTIvhRhkXqZr0Jveab267Cd27lsuZCWh0icFeUOAO3!SXeoOxcbILEilwEDFr08EtgZod5ow4BHoFLJ5DwO!APJ6K!ukdSx7iFBA/IMG_0422.JPG

I will not sleep until I hear a plausible theory about what is going on in there. I am sure their historians would be very appreciative too.
So, what do you think that guy is doing? Who the heck is he anyway?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,652 • Replies: 61
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:22 pm
is it a casket behind him?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:24 pm
littlek claims he's holding a shovel. so what's he doing? is he going to bury someone? himself?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
Maybe he wants to put that painting behind him to rest?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
it seems like he's cleaning dog **** after some careless persons. he's all agitated about their lack of some common respect for the neighborhood.... but the casket is confusing.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:54 pm
It looks like he is pointing at something to ask the person behind him kinda like "What the hell about this?"

He looks like a soldier.

And are those cherubs (little cubby angels) in the upper right corner? If that is acasket maybe he is saying "Hey, Are we going to burry him with those shoes this dude owes me ten bloomers or frothings" or whatever they called money.

P.S. We do this in museums all the time. (when nobody is around)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:57 pm
I want to go to museums with Amigo.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:58 pm
Hmmm, maybe he is after the dead bloke's shoes. The money are called Toliars, still.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:12 am
Do I get it right: no-one knows the history behind the painting? The painters name? How it came in the institute and when?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:14 am
littlek wrote:
I want to go to museums with Amigo.
Laughing
It also looks like he's wearing streched out nylons.

Maybe he is after his nylons not his shoes?

I should be a curator.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:19 am
that's what i was told, walter. I did find the Institute's website (http://odmev.zrc-sazu.si/zrc/modules.php?name=preds), but there is no mention even of the historical building that they are in. It was a rich family's mansion, there probably weren't too many of them in Ljubljana. All I found online was a painting that was hanging opposite the one that puzzled me most. It was used in a banner for a historical seminar - again, no author, no clue:
http://odmev.zrc-sazu.si/hs/slika02xfin.jpg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:26 am
That one is easy.

All that dude wants to do is jam his harp but the chick is like "Come on baby you can play my harp and i'll sing like a canary."

Look at the look on his face! He's like " damn all I want to do is play my harp and these chicks won't leave me alone."

I know!!!! It happens to me all the time when I'm playing my guitar. :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:26 am
I should add that it's not the Ljubljana's art historians who are desperately seeking for clues. It is I, after staring at that painting for 3 days in a row during conference. They didn't seem to mind terribly that no one has a clue about the paintings. And frescos and other stuff.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:28 am
Amigo wrote:
That one is easy.

All that dude wants to do is jam his harp but the chick is like "Come on baby you can play my harp and i'll sing like a canary."

Look at the look on his face! He's like " damn all I want to do is play my harp and these chicks won't leave me alone."

I know!!!! It happens to me all the time when I'm playing my guitar. :wink:

The dude looks like a chick himself - well, his face does. I think it's a little deeper though. Note the scar on his arm, she was inquiring about it, and probably uncovered some nasty family secret. Now she's gonna be smacked up her head with that harph.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:39 am
Maybe shes checking for tracks. He just can't kick the Heroien. All he does is sit around allday playing that damn harp (or harph I quess).

It also looks like they used to much starch in their clothes back then or like theres no gravity?
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:41 am
Just a wild guess here but is the armor type he's wearing common for the place and time that the painting was created?

My first thought on this was that the armor looks a lot like a very stylized version of Roman imperial armor and the stick could be a lance. Well if my wild theory has any merit it could be the centurion that killed Christ.

On second thought after looking again the armor seems very European.

I wish I could have seen it person Dagmaraka, do you have any detail shots it? Maybe the background and such...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:00 am
The first painting is in the style which was quite common in 17th, 18th century - and "re-invented" in late 19th century.

It could well be (also) part of an origianally bigger painting.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:05 am
Could be stolen as in World War II the Nazis or even Communists stole a lot of stuff thus no documentation.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It could well be (also) part of an origianally bigger painting.

This definitely has merit Walter.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:10 am
Re: Help art historians in Ljubljana
dagmaraka wrote:
What is he pointing at?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAIgTTIvhRhkXqZr0Jveab267Cd27lsuZCWh0icFeUOAO3!SXeoOxcbILEilwEDFr08EtgZod5ow4BHoFLJ5DwO!APJ6K!ukdSx7iFBA/IMG_0422.JPG

I will not sleep until I hear a plausible theory about what is going on in there. I am sure their historians would be very appreciative too.
So, what do you think that guy is doing? Who the heck is he anyway?

This is a medaieval painting of Lord Tavistock, commemorating the English victory at the battle of Vladivostok (1325).

The English were losing the day against the Slovakian hordes when, out of the ranks, charged Lord Ellpus the first. He galloped towards the heathen ranks amassed on the opposing ridge, dismounted not fifty yards from their footsoldiers, and casually removed his lower armour, thereby exposing the famous Ellpus genitalia.

So the story goes, the Slovakian horde thought that the English had brought a giant cannon into play, panicked, and broke ranks. This allowed the fine English cavalry to take advantage of their panic and confusion, which led to the English winning the day.

HOORAH!

The painting was originally twice this size, and Lord Tavistock is actually standing next to my ancestor, and pointing at what was then the first ever graphic illustration of the famous Ellpus todger.

Alas, the famous Ellpus todger part of the painting was removed in 1833, as Victorian style prudishness swept Europe.

It is rumoured that the famous Ellpus todger now hangs in the waiting room of a private Viennese fertility clinic, where women from all over the world touch it for good luck, as they undergo treatment. Some women of a nervous disposition have to wear blindfolds, and are guided towards the painting, and told where to touch.

John Holmes was said to have been humbled when he visited the painting in 1977.
0 Replies