New Health Campaign - Should I be Scared?

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:30 pm
At work recently there has been a huge - I mean huge campaign about prevention of spreading virus, the flu and other bugs. It started with a company wide email talking about this campaign and different sorts of viruses - even mention of the avian flu.

Now they have added antibacterial soap dispenses everywhere. There are signs in several places about distances of coughs and sneezes - how to appropriately wash your hands and so forth. To top it off a senior VP just got back from a business trip to Asia. Do you think they are hiding something? Should I be worried?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:37 pm
I think if he had bird flu it would be in all of the newspapers by now.

Perhaps his trip just made him more concerned about germs. Or perhaps they calculated how much profit having staff out sick costs them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:40 pm
Well - I haven't seen him yet, but supposedly he is here. Maybe our company just has enough influence to prevent word from spreading (as well as other things).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 01:36 pm
So you think I am just paranoid, huh. Some one sent in a question about the health campaign.

Question - Why is the company devoting so many resources to advising employees on how to sneeze properly? Does HR truly believe that antibacterial soap and thorough hand washing will prevent the bird flu? Aren't there more important issues to tackle?

Answer - I know some of the advice seems silly, but the threat we face from a bird flu outbreak is being taken very seriously by the firm. The company is closely following the development overseas of the avian flu since it may possibly affect our employees and our business. A cross-company team has been formed to prepare plans and policies to handle more serious illnesses should the need arise.

Do they know something we don't??
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:45 pm
You betcha, Linkat.

"They" know how much they're getting paid to handle this "crisis."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:05 pm
Many viruses are spread from hand to hand contact. It is certainly not a bad idea if antibacterial dispensers are placed conveniently for employees to use. I keep a bottle of the stuff in my car, in case I am in a situation where I am unable to wash my hands. I would bet that if the staff at your place used the stuff, there would be less people out sick.

If there were a bird flu outbreak, rest assured that you would know all about it............and quick!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:18 am
I have a problem with antibacterial soaps. First, they might help prevent the spread of certain bacterias, but they do diddly to control viruses. Hand washing with soap is fine and will control the spread of most pathogens but the constant use of antibacterial soaps simply reduces our exposure to ALL bacteria, including normal flora, which ultimately reduces our tolerance and immunity to whatever fauna we're trying to avoid.

The prevalence of asthma is skyrocketing, partially due to the constant use of bacterial soaps. Kids don't play in the dirt anymore and they don't build up strong immune systems by normal daily contact with the real world.

Linkat, I don't think you are being overly paranoid; you are simply reacting to the paranoia your company is expressing. Bacterial soaps will not be the answer if avian flu becomes a serious threat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:30 am
I couldn't agree more with J_B.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:30 am
Well not only did I play in dirt when I was a child - I ate dirt. Loved the stuff. Maybe that is why I am so rarely sick - recently my whole family got sick - My husband had a very bad flu for several days, one daughter was sick for two and my youngest had just a touch of it. I did not get sick at all - its eating dirt - my immune system must be awesome.

By the way I hate the soap - it is so drying and heavy on your skin.
0 Replies