He knew. He lied. 2,749 people died.

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
He knew. He lied. 2,749 people died.

Zacarias Moussaoui settled his worthiness for execution yesterday when he testified that he had signed on with Al Qaeda to help fly a fifth hijacked airliner on 9/11, intending to deepen America's wounds by crashing it into the White House.

By admitting for the first time that he and would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid were part of a 9/11 conspiracy larger than previously known, Moussaoui revealed himself as a material participant in the worst attack on American soil. That the happenstance of an immigration arrest kept Moussaoui grounded in no way lessens his culpability or the appropriateness of capital punishment.

Moussaoui enlisted in Osama Bin Laden's army not to wage war according to international norms, but to perpetrate crimes against humanity for which Bin Laden and all his lieutenants would be fit targets of execution - summary execution, should the military stumble upon them under the right circumstances. We should be so lucky.

There are those who say Moussaoui is unreliable in that he previously confessed only (only!) to plotting to destroy the White House on a date other than 9/11. We are prepared to credit his account, noting particularly his admission that he deceived investigators about his true purpose in August 2001 because he wanted the attack on the World Trade Center to proceed.

"I had knowledge that the twin towers would be hit," the 20th hijacker testified matter-of-factly.

He knew.

He lied.

And 2,749 people died.

Because Moussaoui's fate is being decided by a civilian jury - as opposed to a military tribunal - this last admission may be the most critical. Under the strictures of criminal law, federal prosecutors have the burden of proving that Moussaoui could have prevented the 9/11 attacks by warning the FBI about the plot when agents questioned him. Without such proof, he gets life without parole.

Now, Moussaoui's lawyers are trying to convince jurors the U.S. was so inept pre-9/11 that nothing he might have said would have made a difference. While the government's failures were many, lapses by the FBI, CIA and others before the world grasped the scope of Al Qaeda's intentions in no way alter the fact that Moussaoui was, and is, a determined enemy of the U.S. who set out to attack a seat of American democracy, the White House, on 9/11 or thereafter.

At this point, we can only rue that military justice was not brought to bear on an illegal combatant who abetted an atrocity - and pray that the jury grasps three truths:

He knew.

He lied.

And 2,749 people died.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,783 • Replies: 58
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:39 pm
Very strange that the FBI higher-ups stonewalled warnings from Colleen Rowley and other agents about Moussaoui. 70 some dire warnings ignored. Very suspicious.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
When I read the title of this thread I thought it would be about George W. Bush.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
Funny thing, joefromchicago, I thought the same thing, but the number was too low.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 02:58 pm
Laughing

im not alone in that assumption either i see..
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:13 pm
Moussaoui lied? Lied about what? Is he mentally capable of recognizing the truth through his delusions let alone tell it?

He's a delusional, wannabe 20th Terrorist. He apparently thinks, if the U.S. executes him for his fictionalized participation in 9/11, he will be exalted as a martyr. He wants us to kill him. That in itself suggests that his confession is probably false--its just a means to an end.

And since when do we execute people for allegedly giving false statements the police?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:16 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
And since when do we execute people for allegedly giving false statements the police?

Since September 12, 2001.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Moussaoui lied? Lied about what? Is he mentally capable of recognizing the truth through his delusions let alone tell it?

He's a delusional, wannabe 20th Terrorist. He apparently thinks, if the U.S. executes him for his fictionalized participation in 9/11, he will be exalted as a martyr. He wants us to kill him. That in itself suggests that his confession is probably false--its just a means to an end.

So you haven't been following this case then?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:34 pm
Al Qaeda detainees contradict Moussaoui testimony

Quote:
ALEXANDRIA, Virginia (Reuters) - Top al Qaeda operatives and others in U.S. custody said in testimony on Tuesday that Zacarias Moussaoui was untrustworthy and not part of the September 11 attacks.

One day after Moussaoui gave shocking testimony that he was meant to fly a plane into the White House as part of the September 11 plot, the detained enemy combatants contradicted him.

Most of the testimony was read aloud from detainees who were forbidden from testifying because of national security concerns. Much of it questioned Moussaoui's competence, and the man said to be the financier of the September 11 attacks said he had had no involvement with Moussaoui.

0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:37 pm
Moussaoui, who has been the only "hijacker" alive, the 20th hijacker, has been in some kind of bizarre protective bubble. Reporters, politicians, NOBODY has access to this guy. Therefore, all of this song and dance comes off as more of a show than an honest concern in getting to the bottom of 9/11 (which has yet to be accomplished). What we've been getting from the Bush administration has been so unbelievably filtered and so heavily propogandized.

Better to re-open the investigation of 9/11 altogether, and maybe this time get Bush and Cheney to testify separately, and under oath.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
Quote:
A senior al Qaeda operative, known as Khallad, said Moussaoui broke security by phoning him every day during a trip to Malaysia in 2000.

Khallad, who was connected with the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in east Africa and masterminded the 2000 attack on the USS Cole, was eventually forced to turn off his telephone.

In testimony from Riduan Isamuddin -- better known as Hambali -- a top member of Jemaah Islamiah, an Asian group linked to al Qaeda, Moussaoui was depicted as "not bright in the head and having a bad character."

"According to Hambali, Moussaoui managed to annoy everyone he came in contact with," Hambali's testimony said, adding that Hambali said he did not trust Moussaoui.

He said Moussaoui kept speaking of dreams he had to fly a plane into the White House. Moussaoui was also constantly suggesting operations Jemmah Islamiah members thought were "ridiculous," according to the testimony.

Link

They thought he was an annoying, ridiculous, imbecile. You sincerely think the masterminds of 9/11 would have trusted this imbecile to participate let alone acquire information about their plot?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:49 pm
That's hardly the point. The Feds have got the goods on him, all good Christians can now sleep soundly, secure in the knowledge that Georgie is on the job, and keeping them safe.

Case closed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
With George on the job, Christians nor anybody else is safe.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:07 pm
Al Qaeda detainees contradict Moussaoui testimony http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2006-03-28T201208Z_01_N28177164_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-MOUSSAOUI.xml
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:51 pm
It's good to know that you only believe the terrorists that support your point of view... They couldn't possibly be lying because they agree with your perspective. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:12 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
When I read the title of this thread I thought it would be about George W. Bush.

Me too.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
McGentrix, posting an article on testimony from the case without making a personal comment hardly constitutes buying their testimony. My feelings on Moussaoui is that it's a damn shame the FBI didn't pay more attention to Colleen Rowley and other agents around the country.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's good to know that you only believe the terrorists that support your point of view... They couldn't possibly be lying because they agree with your perspective. Rolling Eyes

You know, the interesting thing is: these people are kept in Gitmo and in other places, because they allegedly have information that is sooo important to the US. But whenever we hear some testimonial, it is dismissed by people like you. After all, "you wouldn't listen to terrorists", would you?

McGentrix, maybe you can tell us when information people get from the terrorists is trustworthy (I'd guess when they say "The WMD are in Syria"), and when information from the same people is untrustworthy (very likely when they say "Moussaoui is an idiot, he was not involved in 9/11")....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
Green Witch wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Me too.

Me three.

(Or is that four, or five? Maybe six?)
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:40 pm
seven
0 Replies