Do ugly people get punished more for crime?

RexRed

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:42 pm
Alright who were the 3 people who voted genius? hehe
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:09 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
snood wrote:
Lemme get what you're saying - Are you saying as long as the one having sex with a minor is a good looking babe, no harm, no foul? What about a Brad Pitt type male teacher seducing a fourteen year old girl - that a no-no?

Apples and bowling balls, my friend. The stigma is different, hence, so is the crime.

Apples and bowling balls? Confused It seems like a pretty straightforward comparison to me. Older teacher - handsome though (s)he may be - preys on 14-year old. Same thing.

The stigma, as Snood pointed out already, is not the issue when it comes to defining crime and punishment; the action itself is. If a 14-year old boy is preyed on like that it'll have negative consequences just the same as with a girl.

Actually, I'd say probably the damage to a boy might be even greater; because while a girl would immediately find understanding and solidarity when she'd tell someone what happened, a boy would just get the whole inane Beavis & Butthead stuff and be told that, hey, congrats, my man, atta boy, great! He'd find very little understanding at all, and I'm guessing that this probably ensures that when this happens to a boy it's a lot less likely to come out than such adult preying on girls.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
"when this happens to a boy it's a lot less likely to come out than such adult preying on girls."

Dunno Nimh. There have recently been several woman teachers who have been prosecuted here just in the last little while, some were imprisoned, whereas, in my experience, men seem to not suffer as harshly when caught......

I am unsure if this is really so, but the women certainly seem to have their cases far more widely covered in the press, presumably because they have more shock value.

I actually wonder if the boys are LESS adept at keeping it quiet, or their parents get MORE outraged, because it is seen as more aberrant behaviour in women.

I do think that adult male to minor male sexual abuse is, still, a bit less likely to be divulged...though that seems to be changing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
And, fortunately, the law here allows no "difference" between females and males sexually abusing boys, even if some refuse to acknowledge female abusers as equally culpable.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:09 pm
dlowan wrote:
Dunno Nimh. There have recently been several woman teachers who have been prosecuted here just in the last little while [..]

I am unsure if this is really so, but the women certainly seem to have their cases far more widely covered in the press, presumably because they have more shock value.

I actually wonder if the boys are LESS adept at keeping it quiet, or their parents get MORE outraged, because it is seen as more aberrant behaviour in women.

Well, kindof a contradiction in that logic.

Yes, there's been a few cases the last year in the US, too, that got great media coverage as well. (Nothing comparable in Holland, that I know of.)

So you definitely seem right in your second point - that "the women certainly seem to have their cases far more widely covered in the press".

But why? Because of the novelty value, the unexpected-value. "More shock value", like you say yourself.

But why does it have more shock value? It's more unheard of, relatively new - something that you don't actually hear often, or dont expect to hear. Something that's still a bit of a spectacle.

Why is it such an exception, a story like that coming out? Does it just not happen very often? Or is it still more of a taboo, something a boy wouldnt come out about - or would try to brag about, instead (which is how one of these cases came out)?

If, like you say, boys would be less adept at keeping it quiet, then you'd actually hear about a lot more of those cases - and they wouldn't end up being run on nation-wide TV for a week like the couple of these cases are... they'd end up on page 16 of the local paper, just like the attacks on girls.

I mean, seriously ... up till a year or two, three ago, how often did you hear about a woman adult preying on a boy? Its getting so much press attention because its something most people didnt think, or werent willing to acknowledge, was happening..
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
Re: Do ugly people get punished more for crime?
RexRed wrote:
What is beauty?

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/debbie-lafave-1.jpg
http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/debra-lafave-3.jpg

Do ugly people really have more brains?

Are ugly people held to a higher standard?

Does beauty and genius have an inherent flaw?

This is what people find beautiful?! Say it ain't so, gov'ner. I suppose the source has sumptin to do with it.

Remember in junior high when friends used to send papers around with "Who is hotter? Who's funnier?" Umm....yeah.

I'm interested in this convo. about male/female sexual abusers. There certainly are plenty of cases of female offenders. Why is it shocking? Is it because it has been largely unspoken? Is it because people like to think of older women as "motherly, kind, and fair" and so can gloss over the perversion in an attempt to keep that ideal? Is it because of the bias towards thinking young boys/men want whatever form of sexual attention they can get - even if it is harmful and sick?
Don't know. Still has me thinking.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:32 pm
Well, Rex. I was thinking about The Picture of Dorian Grey today. Does anyone understand the import of Oscar Wilde's marvelous book?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:41 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, Rex. I was thinking about The Picture of Dorian Grey today. Does anyone understand the import of Oscar Wilde's marvelous book?

Dorian Grey kept his outward attractiveness, but his portrait showed his inner ugliness. Can you state clearly the connection you're making to the line of discussion?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:45 pm
nimh wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
snood wrote:
Lemme get what you're saying - Are you saying as long as the one having sex with a minor is a good looking babe, no harm, no foul? What about a Brad Pitt type male teacher seducing a fourteen year old girl - that a no-no?

Apples and bowling balls, my friend. The stigma is different, hence, so is the crime.

Apples and bowling balls? Confused It seems like a pretty straightforward comparison to me. Older teacher - handsome though (s)he may be - preys on 14-year old. Same thing.
Interestinly, you've just made the best case I've ever heard for flexible sentencing laws... because I completely disagree.

nimh wrote:
The stigma, as Snood pointed out already, is not the issue when it comes to defining crime and punishment; the action itself is. If a 14-year old boy is preyed on like that it'll have negative consequences just the same as with a girl.
The same legal consequences yes... but not the same social consequences.

nimh wrote:
Actually, I'd say probably the damage to a boy might be even greater; because while a girl would immediately find understanding and solidarity when she'd tell someone what happened, a boy would just get the whole inane Beavis & Butthead stuff and be told that, hey, congrats, my man, atta boy, great! He'd find very little understanding at all, and I'm guessing that this probably ensures that when this happens to a boy it's a lot less likely to come out than such adult preying on girls.
I agree with most of that; but interpret it quite differently. Let's remove the crime & punishment consequences, for comparison's sake.

Example: A 14 year old boy and a 14 year old girl get caught getting busy in the school bathroom. What are the social consequences?

The girl gets to live with the reputation of being a slut, and we all know how mean 14 year old girls can be.

The boy gets to live with the reputation of being a "stud", and we all know how Beavis and Butthead 14 year old boys can be.

These are not at all similar consequences. Which would you prefer? I'll grant you there are girls out there, proud of slutty reputations, and boys who are horrified by accusations of Stud-ship... but honesty; are they not the exceptions rather than the rule?

I'd wager a much higher percentage of girls are worried about making that "first time" meaningful and romantic and storybook perfect, to justify loosing their innocence.

I'd also wager a much higher percentage of boys simply can't wait to get that first time out of the way so they can brag to their friends and remove the stigma of boy-virgin.

Fast forward a decade->
24 year old virgin female: Honored and respected by most.
24 year old virgin male: ostracized and ridiculed by most.

And it isn't just with their peers, either. My sister's revelation of her first experience resulted in anger and concern and caused quite a stir in our household. Mine was met with a ritual be careful and a slap on the back. Fair? Probably not. Common? Most certainly. Neither the stigma nor the risk of pregnancy is the same.

This is all before you even address the Power aspect. While both the Male and Female statutory rapists are in the same position of authority; the intimidation factor between a grown man Vs. a 14 year old girl cannot be compared to the grown woman Vs. a 14 year old boy. At 14, few of the boys I went to school with could have been over-powered by any of the female teachers. Few of the 14 year old girls I went to school with couldn't have been over-powered by any of the male teachers.

Whether or not there's a kosher way to separate the two crimes; there is a very distinct difference between them. My instinctual reaction is fire the female teacher, put her on probation and the sexual predators list and call it a day. My instinctual reaction to the male teacher, is closer to sending him to the chair.

I don't recall ever hearing about the female pedophile who graduated to kidnap-and-murder. I can hardly turn on the news anymore without hearing about yet another of her male-counterparts who did.

Apples to Bowling Balls
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:58 pm
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Dunno Nimh. There have recently been several woman teachers who have been prosecuted here just in the last little while [..]

Well, kindof a contradiction in that logic.

Yes, there's been a few cases the last year in the US, too, that got great media coverage as well. (Nothing comparable in Holland, that I know of.)

So you definitely seem right in your second point - that "the women certainly seem to have their cases far more widely covered in the press".

But why? Because of the novelty value, the unexpected-value. "More shock value", like you say yourself.

But why does it have more shock value? It's more unheard of, relatively new - something that you don't actually hear often, or dont expect to hear. Something that's still a bit of a spectacle.

Why is it such an exception, a story like that coming out? Does it just not happen very often? Or is it still more of a taboo, something a boy wouldnt come out about - or would try to brag about, instead (which is how one of these cases came out)?

If, like you say, boys would be less adept at keeping it quiet, then you'd actually hear about a lot more of those cases - and they wouldn't end up being run on nation-wide TV for a week like the couple of these cases are... they'd end up on page 16 of the local paper, just like the attacks on girls.

I mean, seriously ... up till a year or two, three ago, how often did you hear about a woman adult preying on a boy? Its getting so much press attention because its something most people didnt think, or werent willing to acknowledge, was happening..

It's interesting.

I have been waiting for years for an explosion of sexual abuse by women disclosures to occur.....since I always kind of assumed it was under-reported, and I thought we MUST be going to have a disclosure fest similar, if less numerically overwhelming, than the one for male sexual abuse a couple of decades ago, as it became less taboo to discuss.

I am still waiting.

My sense now is that women are, in general, less likely to sexually abuse than males.

I am in the centre of the abuse knowledge network in my state now, and we DO get the odd case of female abusers...but very few and far between.

I am not sure if this will remain as rare, as women generally become more violent, and so on...but at present I really think it is rare.

I DO think women get a rawer deal legally, though, when they do sexually abuse...which goes hand in hand with some research I looked at years ago, when I worked in Corrections, which confirmed our impression that, while women may get softer sentences for "female" crimes like shop-lifting, at first, if they continue to offend, or commit "male" crimes, they get treated more harshly. I have always assumed this goes with some visceral response to a woman being all monstrous and manlike and such if she steps from her assigned role.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:00 pm
When we get past all the anecdotal evidence and amateur psychologist speculation, and get to the part about whether or not its a crime and should be treated as a crime, and whether a female, and further - an attractive female should be punished differently, the answers are still starkly obvious.

The predicting the chances of psychological damage, and guessing that this would be harmful to only the "exception" boys is ludicrous.

If you were honest O.B., you would realize how your confession on another thread about being biased toward women you perceive as physically beautiful anyway (you were talking about how you only approach good looking women) is something that taints your credibility on this subject, and would recuse yourself from pretending to be discussing the objective rightness and wrongness of the acts in question.

If you are not however that honest, let's pursue the insult on into injury...
In your way of thinking, should a good looking teacher be sentenced less harshly than an ugly one, since you obviously are making the argument that the boy is not harmed by being made love to by a beautiful adult?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:17 pm
snood, the connection is that when Dorian Grey finally did something decent, his picture became handsome again, and his real face took on the ugliness. So, you see, it is NOT the face that matters, but the decency behind it. That is eveyone's portrait.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:36 pm
Letty wrote:
snood, the connection is that when Dorian Grey finally did something decent, his picture became handsome again, and his real face took on the ugliness. So, you see, it is NOT the face that matters, but the decency behind it. That is eveyone's portrait.

So you're saying the teacher is really an ugly person? Sorry - not trying to be obtuse, but your reference to Dorian Grey sort of caught me unawares....
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
Yawn.....

Illiterates and flakes abound 'round 'ere.....

Dorian Gray found hypocrisy marked on the portrait on the day he thought he did something good......

That's when he decided to destroy it......

Anyone who read the book remembers that part unless he's either illiterate or insane or a total fraud SmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:46 pm
UMMMMMMMMM

and ugly people are by definition guilty..........

........like the monstrosity with the glasses in the clown avatar above.....
so are fat people but luckily they condemn themselves to an early grave and not a moment too soon....

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,,1738876,00.html

The question was about fat and ugly and dark, a pleonasm or make that 2 SmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:49 pm
........or ummmm ........ only reason mentioned dark is so many above in posts mentioned "fair" as synonym for "beautiful".... plus the ABOMINATION passing as avatar.....

............ where DID Snood find THAT ONE?????????????
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:52 pm
I'm not certain, snood, what you mean by "teacher", if you have read the book or have seen the movie upon which it is based, You will understand what I mean by the reference.

Dorian was narcissistic. His portrait was his prized possession. and he was most challenged by debauching naive and innocent women. Each day that he committed some act of horror, the portrait took on an evil and ugly look. It was only when he came face to face with his ugliness that the denouement of the plot came to light. He died and the portrait once again became that handsome man, and the real man became the ugliness of the portrait. Hope I have explained that properly in the light of Rex's original topic.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:00 pm
Snood, my bias is deeper and broader than that. Violence and disrespect against women erks me to the core. I'd become ill were I to watch a female on female fist fight, because my instinct would be driving me to protect them both. Meanwhile, I can watch men knock each other out on the UFC as easily as a football game. Let there me no question; I am biased.

My personal biases may taint my opinions, yes, but that in itself is provides no indication of the veracity of my written arguments. Disprove them on their merits, if you can. Alluding to my bias is irrelevant until you've successfully done so.

Despite being in the restaurant business; I recognize the pro's and con's of the food, service and concepts in other restaurants absent my "personal bias" almost daily. If I tell you the Fillet Mignon sucks or is fantastic at so & so's restaurant; believe it.

To "get past all the anecdotal evidence and amateur psychologist speculation", I'd have to bow out of the conversation because I have no expert qualifications. Do you? Do the rest of the people opining here?

For the record; I'd say the woman is pretty, but not beautiful IMO. Factor in the knowledge of her personality that's been revealed thus far; and I'd say she isn't attractive at all.

To answer your question (I probably shouldn't, because this isn't going to go over well Shocked); yes. I think a conscientious judge should consider every factor in both the extent of the crime and the degree of harm done and sentence accordingly.

The social consequences of being statutorily raped by Rosanne Barr would be much different than by Penelope Cruz.

Grudgingly, same goes for the men. The social consequences of being statutorily raped by Brad Pitt are not the same as say Michael Moore.

I'm know that sounds terribly unfair; but I think it is the truth. If you are going to have flexible sentencing laws; is not the purpose to gauge the degree of culpability, harm done, chances of recidivism, etc., and sentence accordingly? Why shouldn't the (admittedly subjective and tough to quantify) harm done not be considered a factor?
(I think this realization changes one of my opinions offered earlier in this thread, slightly)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:07 pm
My God, Wild Bill. I finally understand what Rex meant by punished. He means in a court of law. Rolling Eyes

I guess I should have read every bit of this entire thread.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
Occom Bill:

Quote:
Snood, my bias is deeper and broader than that. Violence and disrespect against women erks me to the core. I'd become ill were I to watch a female on female fist fight, because my instinct would be driving me to protect them both. Meanwhile, I can watch men knock each other out on the UFC as easily as a football game. Let there me no question; I am biased.

My personal biases may taint my opinions, yes, but that in itself is provides no indication of the veracity of my written arguments. Disprove them on their merits, if you can. Alluding to my bias is irrelevant until you've successfully done so.

It's very relevant, because your bias keeps making you allude to the esoterica of the case in question, whereas I'm just trying to point out that laws have to be applied equally or they lose meaning. I don't care about your, my, or anyone's opinion about how male and female's psyches differ, or anything like that - I'm just interested in any rational argument you can mount to the effect that the law could be written to consider those things. How would it be worded to make the distinction? "Any female committing carnal acts with a minor, except those resembling playboy bunnies, shall receive so-and-so for a first offense,..."? How would you incorporate your views about the differences in quality and quantity of impact according to gender and attractiveness if you had to enforce a law about it?

Quote:
Despite being in the restaurant business; I recognize the pro's and con's of the food, service and concepts in other restaurants absent my "personal bias" almost daily. If I tell you the Fillet Mignon sucks or is fantastic at so & so's restaurant; believe it.

Man, talk about apples and bowling balls...

Quote:
To "get past all the anecdotal evidence and amateur psychologist speculation", I'd have to bow out of the conversation because I have no expert qualifications. Do you? Do the rest of the people opining here?

No Bill, no one would have to bow out of the conversation - you don't have to claim any expertise in the finer points of human psychology to discuss what I'm focusing on - I certainly don't have any such expertise. All that's necessary is that you can argue either pro or con, for or against the notion that laws should be applied euqally, regardless of gender or physical attractiveness. It's a discussion taking place a lot these days, affected significantly by the actions of the kewpie-doll looking schoolteacher in question.

Quote:
For the record; I'd say the woman is pretty, but not beautiful IMO. Factor in the knowledge of her personality that's been revealed thus far; and I'd say she isn't attractive at all.

To each his own - neither here nor there, as far as debating whether laws should take such things into consideration.

Quote:
To answer your question (I probably shouldn't, because this isn't going to go over well Shocked); yes. I think a conscientious judge should consider every factor in both the extent of the crime and the degree of harm done and sentence accordingly.

...and I think you are ignorant either willfully or innocently of a humongous slippery slope that would open the door to. In my view of this justice system and this America, I don't want to be telling judges they should take into consideration how the defendant looks; there is enough trouble trying to get them not to do that already. Would we next be saying we should punish certain races more harshly, because of the comparativepsychological damage done?

Quote:
The social consequences of being statutorily raped by Rosanne Barr would be much different than by Penelope Cruz.

Again, my concern is not the social consequences of being raped by Rosanne, or Penelope or Brad Pitt or Michael Moore. It is whether or not our laws shoud take such things into consideration. And on that we simply disagree.

Quote:
I'm know that sounds terribly unfair; but I think it is the truth.

Oh it doesn't just sound unfair - it is patently and grotesqely unfair.

Quote:
If you are going to have flexible sentencing laws; is not the purpose to gauge the degree of culpability, harm done, chances of recidivism, etc., and sentence accordingly? Why shouldn't the (admittedly subjective and tough to quantify) harm done not be considered a factor?

There are routinely admonitions given to juries about what they can, and cannot consider. Stuff this subjective cannot be allowed to be a part of a sane and reasonable justice system - or one that aspires ever to be that.

Quote:

(I think this realization changes one of my opinions offered earlier in this thread, slightly)

From what I've seen of you Bill, I think if you are honest with yourself about what is simply right and wrong your opinions aren't through changing.
0 Replies