Do ugly people get punished more for crime?

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:53 pm
What is beauty?

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/debbie-lafave-1.jpg
http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/debra-lafave-3.jpg

Do ugly people really have more brains?

Are ugly people held to a higher standard?

Does beauty and genius have an inherent flaw?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,156 • Replies: 128
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:06 pm
You need to define "ugly".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
Yeah. Who you callin' ugly, Rex?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
I was wondering the same thing. Are you basing your findings on the two pics above? Neither one could be considered ugly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
I'm comin in swingin.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:20 pm
You don't look that bad, edgar.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:22 pm
Poll is split down the middle, haha

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/debbie-lafave.html

Ugly/beauty in this post is defined as "superficial beauty"...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
I don't dare vote.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Are you basing your findings on the two pics above? Neither one could be considered ugly.

They are both pictures of the same woman the same woman...

I was going to include Einstein's picture (as contrast) but he was not that "un-attractive" as a young man... But certainly he was a brilliant thinker...

Ugly people use beauty against superficially beautiful people to insinuated they are dumb...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:29 pm
Damn, I wish I was a fourteen year old in her class.

All my female teachers were old, fat or beautiful challenged.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:31 pm
How would you feel if you were not the one picked?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
neologist wrote:
I don't dare vote.

I struggled over the vote... then picked beauty...

Who needs brains if you are desired by people? Smile

One thing though superficial beauty often fades early in life but wisdom seems to only grow with time (until alzheimers and early senility set in).
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:15 am
xingu wrote:
Damn, I wish I was a fourteen year old in her class.

All my female teachers were old, fat or beautiful challenged.

It seems never the twain do meet...

Beauty or beast

I heard about this guy who was very ugly so he married this beautiful woman (thinking it might help) but she was not very brainy... Their kids came out ugly and stupid... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:29 am
There are some really disadvantaged people in the world and they still find some mechanism for happiness. Yet those who are often born with an advantage sometimes take advantage because they think they are above the law...

Beauty and genius are both forms of ego...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:38 am
Re: Do ugly people get punished more for crime?
RexRed wrote:
Do ugly people really have more brains?
Who thinks they do? The fact is; beauty and intelligence are both attractive features, as are talent, wealth, strength, etc. The more attractive features one possesses; the more likely he/she will attract someone with a greater quantity of attractive features to mate. This cycle continues generation after generation. The better looking you are; the better chance you'll attract someone with better attributes of their own. Same goes for intelligence, talent, wealth etc. The resulting offspring would likely prove your question backwards. When a genius marries a supermodel; his next generation's gene pool is better looking and hers is smarter. The exceptionally attributed offspring of folks with lesser attributes will generally wind up mating with a more attributed mate than his her siblings. This may not be fair, but it is reality. It would be a callous experiment but; I'd wager one could prove your theory false by assessing the relative beauty of a remedial class Vs. that of the gifted.

RexRed wrote:
Are ugly people held to a higher standard?
Perhaps. People will always be quicker to be critical of the ugly, stupid, talent-less etc. More likely, you're basing your faulty assumptions on studies that suggest ugly people are charged more often with crimes. Your data is biased, however, because ugly people commit more crimesÂ… likely because their opportunities are more limited.

RexRed wrote:
Does beauty and genius have an inherent flaw?
If you mean the coupling of the two; none whatsoever. Ever see a picture of Sozobe? In my experience; intelligence and beauty are no less likely to go hand in hand than any other combination. If you think beautiful women are less likely to be intelligent, you've apparently not been close enough to a sufficient number to form a coherent opinion. I hope you are terribly good looking. :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:52 am
how is this religious?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:59 am
Quote:
I heard about this guy who was very ugly so he married this beautiful woman (thinking it might help) but she was not very brainy... Their kids came out ugly and stupid

Rex
If I was fourteen and had a teacher like that I would not be looking for a wife.

I was watching the Bill Maher show and he was discussing this issue with a panel. The issue was bought up that an encounter like this would cause phycological damage to the victim.

I can't imagine myself having any phycological damage by having sex at fourteen.

Anyone have any opinion on this?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
shewolfnm wrote:
how is this religious?
Well, that's simple.

ER, AH,

Let me explain. . .

One moment please. . .

UM

'Cause Rex posted it in this forum? :wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:35 am
xingu wrote:
Quote:
I heard about this guy who was very ugly so he married this beautiful woman (thinking it might help) but she was not very brainy... Their kids came out ugly and stupid

Rex
If I was fourteen and had a teacher like that I would not be looking for a wife.

I was watching the Bill Maher show and he was discussing this issue with a panel. The issue was bought up that an encounter like this would cause phycological damage to the victim.

I can't imagine myself having any phycological damage by having sex at fourteen.

Anyone have any opinion on this?

Lemme get what you're saying - Are you saying as long as the one having sex with a minor is a good looking babe, no harm, no foul? What about a Brad Pitt type male teacher seducing a fourteen year old girl - that a no-no?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:38 am
Leave it to snood to bring reason into the debate. :wink:
0 Replies