Survey says: Atheists most distrusted minority

Krekel

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
Thanks, dude ... or dame.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
Setanta-

Would you kindly explain what you mean in post No1941329.I'm always interested in where I have made an error.

I can hardly be expected to just take your word for it.
I don't see what you mean.As you know,I'm stupid,so I can't be expected to understand these things like you can.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:06 pm
Krekel wrote:
This could be satire, but when I read some of the crap christians actually believe about atheists ... I wasn't sure anymore.

http://blogger.xs4all.nl//images/blogger_xs4all_nl/foz/15507/r_atheistwarning.jpg

Omigod, that's funny......
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:10 pm
I think Krekel now has the best avatar ever. Crotchety old Mr Gruff...<giggle>
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:37 pm
It's true.
I talked to old Mr. McGruff when I was a child and look how I turned out!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
I attened a funeral mass today - I wasn't impressed. I haven't been to a single funeral which didn't have a religious mass.... interesting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
I'm sure my family will have a religious ceremony at my funeral. So what? If it makes them feel better, I don't mind. I won't know anything anyway.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
Yeh.
Funerals are for those left behind.
If they happen to be religious then so be it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:29 am
[quote="cyphercat"]I think Krekel now has the best avatar ever. Crotchety old Mr Gruff...<giggle>[/quote]I am green with envy, my avatar is blasé
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:20 am
The bus is late today isn't it?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:40 am
fresco wrote:
Why should it be a surprise ?

Atheists do not identify with any religious group conformity therefore their behaviour may be deemed difficult to predict. "Trust" is wrapped up with "prediction".

I'm with fresco....american distrust of atheists is not a surprise. Right or wrong, a person's trustworthiness is largely associated with his or her adherence to religious edicts, not social. The fact that my neighbor never breaks the laws defined by society gives me little reason to trust him. To be trustworthy with my secrets, I need to feel that he will place my well-being over his own personal interests. He must be willing to give up some of his own self-interest to preserve my secrets.

Most religions emphasize personal trustworthiness and placing others above oneself. For example, those who claim to be Christians are associated with a very familiar moral code found in the Bible. Other religions also have well-known moral codes they adhere to. But what well-known moral code does an atheist associate himself with? I have no basis for comparison when evaluating whether to trust an atheist, hence my distrust.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:47 am
Quote:
But what well-known moral code does an atheist associate himself with?
Ethics
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:57 am
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
But what well-known moral code does an atheist associate himself with?
Ethics

Ya durn tootin' we like fig newton.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
Thing is, isn't ethics partially based upon religious values?
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:52 am
Not if you're not religious they aren't. Most ethical codes are based on shared social norms.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
username wrote:
Not if you're not religious they aren't. Most ethical codes are based on shared social norms.

And how exactly do you think these social norms came about? What influenced them? Why, religion, of course.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:05 pm
How far back do you want to go, though? Christianity, for example, is only 2,000 years old -- people were ethical and moral long before that.

I think you could as easily say that most religions are based on shared social norms. (Chicken or egg?)
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
But there are no ethical codes which everyone universally associates with atheists...that's the problem.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
no, actually the problem is religionists have no ethics.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:38 pm
well, doesn't conspicuous consumption count as an ethic "God WANTS you to drive a Cadillac"
0 Replies