Survey says: Atheists most distrusted minority

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:21 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
I just think it's cool as hell that as a white male living in North Carolina, I can still call myself a minority.
I'm gonna start a movement.

After basketball season.

I was born at Ft Bragg. Where you at?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
Atheists? Yes, I would distrust these crackers too if I was trying to keep a fantastical paradigm from collapsing.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:54 am
No surprise, this is only natural given their defiance of their Creator.

"But if anyone turns away from My reminder, his life will be a dark and narrow one" (Qur'an, 20:124)
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:06 am
Raul-7 wrote:
No surprise, this is only natural given their defiance of their Creator.

"But if anyone turns away from My reminder, his life will be a dark and narrow one" (Qur'an, 20:124)

Dark? Narrow?
pot...kettle...
Black.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:25 am
Yeah, Raul - you better listen to this Satanist guy - he's really got it all figured out. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:53 am
snood wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:
I just think it's cool as hell that as a white male living in North Carolina, I can still call myself a minority.
I'm gonna start a movement.

After basketball season.

I was born at Ft Bragg. Where you at?

Chapel Hill
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:54 am
Setanta wrote:
I take it this surprises no one.

Surprises the crap out of me.

Is it really a representative sample, do we know?

If it is, boy the US is sure beset by religious prejudice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:59 am
dlowan
always has been, always will be
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
sozobe wrote:
The 3% figure was suspect to me, tried to see what else I could find, came up with this:

Quote:
14.1% do not follow any organized religion. This is an unusually rapid increase -- almost a doubling -- from only 8% in 1990. There are more Americans who say they are not affiliated with any organized religion than there are Episcopalians, Methodists, and Lutherans taken together.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

That's not athiest, per se, but goes back to what kind of results they'd get if they just asked about people who don't follow any organized religion.

About 95% of the drek D.I. posts is suspect--i've noted that the member either seems to make things up, or shows no the least critical analytic skill with regard to the sources he quotes. Didn't anyone see how utterly absurd and stupid it were to contend that forty-six to eighty-five percent of the population of Sweden is atheist? Does it not occur to anyone that a lack of precision to that extent in a poll suggests that they stopped a half dozen people on the street in Upsala and asked them what they thought?

I tend to scroll past D.I.'s posts, unless they are mercifully short like that one was. That joker has no sense of proportion and no critical judgment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:41 am
Eorl wrote:
I'm shocked that there really are so few atheists in America. Any theories as to why that is the case? Strong Irish heritage perhaps? Pilgram fathers, etc?

Next time you feel the urge to casually fling ethnic slurs at the Irish, why don't you take it to another site?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:42 am
Momma Angel wrote:
These studies may point out some perceptions in society but are they done enough indepth? I know plenty of atheists and I don't have trouble trusting them.

Exactly what I was thinking. The sample size seems reasonable enough, but is the sample diverse enough?

Furthermore, it's from a telephone sampling. Is this cold calling? Calling them out of the blue and giving people a slightly biased question, like, "Would you trust an Atheist if he's a flag-burning, God-hating Commie?"

What's even more suspicious is the fact that I can't read how they did this study.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:45 am
dlowan wrote:
If it is, boy the US is sure beset by religious prejudice.

This is news to you? During the 1988 election campaign, Pappy Bush was asked about a comment attributed to him that atheists ought not be allowed to vote--he stated, before the public media, that he stood by that statement. It's not just religious bigotry at full cry, its the pandering of demagogues to it that give America such a wonderful, homey feel . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:06 am
The link which Cereal Killer provided did not work when i tried it (more than once). However, the article refers to Miss Penny Edgell, Associate Professor of Sociology, as the lead researcher. It is worth noting that an Associate Professor is the bottom of the academic rung in higher education, and indicates someone without tenure in their department. That should not necessarily be construed against Miss Edgell, but it is evidence that her colleagues at the University of Minnesota's Department of Sociology have not seen fit to offer here an Assistant Professorship and the attendant tenure.

This page at the University of Minnesota will introduce you to Miss Penny Edgell, including a list of her recent publications. (Those familiar with the world of higher education will know that the regular publication of scholarly works is a sine qua non for those who pursue a career in that profession.)

This page at PBS contains an interview with Miss Edgell.

This page at the University of Minnesota's "College of Liberal Arts Today" Winter 2006 electronic publication reviews the study which Cereal Killer's article refers to.

This page at the Hartford Institute for Religious Research describes the Religion and Family Project head by Miss Edgell, and refers to her as Penny Edgell (Becker), a rather odd manner of description, which may mean she is married, but unsure about what her name is now. Who knows?

It seems to me very likely that Miss Edgell actually is giving us information about what a very narrowly canvassed portion of midwesterners, and possibly midwesterners who are all church-goers, feel about whom they trust and whom they do not. One thing is certain to me after this little spate of research, Miss Edgell has a stake in religious people as active members of congregations, which strongly suggests to me that she doesn't know squat about atheists, agnostics and the "un-churched" portions of the community.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:18 am
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
However, the article refers to Miss Penny Edgell, Associate Professor of Sociology, as the lead researcher. It is worth noting that an Associate Professor is the bottom of the academic rung in higher education, and indicates someone without tenure in their department.

It is also worth noting that
when an Associate Professor is quoted in another place in support of the Jonesian position these other details are not usually given.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:22 am
Miss Edgell is the instigator of the "study" (a very loosely conducted telephone pole, for which information on the demographic sample is not given, and for which the questions asked are not provided), as well as the author of the published results. Any remarks about her credentials and position are pertinent.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:24 am
Quote:
Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.

That means for a sound Darwinian that they will soon be bred out due to having negative sexual selection potential.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:38 am
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
Miss Edgell is the instigator of the "study" (a very loosely conducted telephone pole, for which information on the demographic sample is not given, and for which the questions asked are not provided), as well as the author of the published results. Any remarks about her credentials and position are pertinent.

When Associate Professors are quoted in that other place in support of the Jonesian position they

Iniatiate rather than instigate

The do a study rather than a "study".

They cross out any "very loosely"s

PS.I'm sure the loose ends referred to have been cleared up by the peer reviewing editor of the American Sociological Review unless,of course,the integrity of American scientific journals is being called into question which would be the case if your easy questions are not addressed satisfactorily or if it is only those journals which rattle Setanta's cage that are in doubt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:39 am
In the University of Minnesota, College of Liberal Arts publication, Miss Edgell is quoted as basing her statements on a Pew Charitable Trusts study. I may not have exhaustively researched the Pew Charitable Trusts site, however, i have so far come across only a single survey, conducted in the summer of 2003, which polled 2002 adults, and, inferentially, appears to have been conducted along reasonable demographic lines (references are made to the percentage of adherents of certain creeds in the responses reported).

The following is the only passage involving "trust" of persons based on creed (or lack thereof) which i have found there:

The Pew Charitable Trusts 2003 Survey wrote:
For the most part, people say religion does not frequently affect their voting decisions. Nearly six-in-ten (58%) say their religious beliefs seldom if ever affect their voting decisions, while 38% say their vote choices are at least occasionally affected by their beliefs. White evangelicals and African-American Protestants are most likely to report that their religion shapes their votes at least occasionally, while white mainline Protestants and Catholics mostly say that religion has little or no impact on their votes.

At the same time, significant numbers of Americans say they would be reluctant to vote for a presidential candidate ­ even if generally well-qualified ­ if the candidate was a member of a specific faith. Nearly four-in-ten (38%) say they would not vote for a well-qualified Muslim for president, and 15% express concern about voting for a well-qualified evangelical Christian. Far fewer say they would not vote for a Jewish (10%) or Catholic (8%) candidate. But fully half say they would not vote for a well-qualified atheist.

That is not quite consonant, however, with the sorts of statements which Miss Edgell was making--for example, in commenting on how many people would want their child to marry an atheist.

The article at the Pew Charitable Trusts site can be read here. There is a link to download the entire study results. I don't intend to do so, because i don't consider it of sufficient interest or importance. I would be interested to know, though, if Miss Edgell had conducted her own survey, or if, as the University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts article suggests, she relied upon the Pew Trusts survey.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:42 am
For other topics, it is intersting that it showed a decline in opposition to homosexual marriage.

In 1996, their survey data showed 24% opposed and 41% strongly opposed to homosexual marriage. In 2003, their survey results showed 23% opposed and 30% strongly opposed to homosexual marriage.

It is worth noting that the Pew Charitable Trusts has a "Religion in Public Life" division which routinely funds research on the place of religion in American life.
0 Replies