Graduation Gift Ideas Needed!

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:05 pm
I'm not sure that this belongs in "Parenting and Childcare" but it seemed to be the best place...

Anyway, I have a kidlet graduating from college shortly and I'm at a loss for good ideas for a graduation gift. Other's may be running into this as well with the end of the school year approaching so maybe ideas would be useful to others too.

In my case, I have a 21 year old daughter graduating with a degree in Business Management with a minor in Criminal Justice. She has a car and she's had her own apartment for the last 4 years so she has all the basics (kitchenware, furniture, computer, etc..).

My thoughts are that she'll be done with school so I'm trying to think of things that might be useful (and practical) in her "post school gotta find a damn job!" life. Would gift cards to places that sell women's business wear be a bad idea?

What other ideas have ya got? I'd really like some input from women (since I'm not one! lol) and anyone that may have graduated recently (or is about to!) Help a clueless single dad out will ya??? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 878 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:29 pm
The business wear gift card idea is lovely. That's definitely something that you have to do when entering the business world, that transition from college wardrobe to professional wardrobe, and no, it's not cheap!

Do you have a feel for what kinds of clothes she likes? Some of the places I shopped when I had to build and maintain a professional wardrobe were Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and (more rarely) Talbot's. I also used to shop at the Gap, but in recent years they seem to be shunting more of their business-type clothes to Banana Republic. Gap can still be good for basics, (shells to wear under suits, etc.) and is a little less pricey, though all four have good sales.

The rest of it I filled in at local places and resale shops -- I loved the vintage (30's 40's) suits I could find in L.A., but that's me.

Finally, congratulations!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
One thing about Banana Republic/Gap is that I seem to remember that they allow you to buy a gift card that would be redeemable at either, and Old Navy too -- Old Navy does have some decent business clothes, too, and they definitely allow you to stretch your dollar. A mixture of clothes from all three could create a good, solid wardrobe. Some marquee pieces from Banana Republic (best quality, most fashionable), then fillers from Gap and Old Navy.

I haven't found definite confirmation of that yet, though, that you can get a gift card that would apply to all three. I'll keep looking.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:41 pm
I think that if you gave her a Gap credit card, and paid a certain amount on it, that would effectively be a gift card and that one could definitely be used at all three stores. (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy.)

https://secure.www.gap.com/profile/PLCCHome.do
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:04 pm
I was think along the line of Macy's, JC Penny, Lord and Taylor, etc.. but any of them that carry wimmins wear would do. I'd take her shopping myself but the more I think about it the more I think about it the more I'd rather remove my own gall bladder! Very Happy She loves Old Navy and Banana Republic so a gift card for those would be a good idea. Thanks!

Business clothes make a lot of sense to me I'm just not sure how she'll think of it.

And thanks on the congrats too! It's been a loooong time coming.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
I think (by no means am I certain) that the exchangable gift cards are for banana and gap, but not old navy. Was J crew in the mix as well?

Helpful ain't I?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:21 pm
I'd say JC Penney would be a definite no, but Macy's or Lord & Taylor could work and have a lot of variety.

I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea -- definitely one I would have been thrilled to get. (I got a variation for my college graduation present -- a sewing machine, so I could make my own clothes! Laughing)

I just looked at the websites of all three stores (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy) to be sure my now-5-years-out-of-date recollections re: business clothes are accurate. They seem to be. Banana Republic has a lot of great business wardrobe staples, the kind of thing you can get and then wear various ways/ add various accessories, like:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/Asset_Archive/BRWeb/Assets/Outfit/016/OUT01633/outfit/br-otf-out01633oviv01.jpg

Then add a skirt, too:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/Asset_Archive/BRWeb/Assets/Outfit/016/OUT01635/outfit/br-otf-out01635oviv01.jpg

I had that basic idea in dark chocolate brown lightweight wool, wore the heck out of it, together and mixed with other pieces.

Anyway, I think it was really smart of you to figure out this gift, I can't think of anything better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:23 pm
Gap owns both Old Navy and Banana Republic; their credit cards (any) can be used at all three, but I haven't confirmed anything with gift cards yet.

J.Crew is an entirely different entity, can't imagine that there would be overlap, gift-card wise. (J.Crew is another good one, though, that's where I got the chocolate brown suit mentioned above. Max Studio is another one I frequented, though that was a bit unusual because I was able to go to their outlet -- regular prices are a bit steep.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
*scribbles all these stores down*

I need to look at see which places have stores in her area. Old Navy, The GAP, etc... shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I could get her a hotel room in a major city for 3 or 4 days for a 3 day shopping spree. Surprised
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:54 am
How 'bout a gift certificate (if they sell 'em, they might) to get free haircuts for a year at her favorite place?
0 Replies