Trying to transliterate English to Aramaic!

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
Hello, I have recently returned from my second tour in Iraq. During the most recent deployment we stumbled upon an ancient ruins where of course Saddam has defaced much of it, however there was still some aramaic around. It was absolutely fascinating, and now I am trying to translate the phrase, "Be Not Forgotten," into aramaic. Although I am having a real time trying to do so, any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 618 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ServantOfGod91

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
aramaic, or arabic? arabic seems like it would make more sense in your situation. Aramaic is a derivative of the Hebrew language spoken in Judea around the time of Christ. Arabic is what is spoken by Iraqis
0 Replies

petros

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 02:07 pm
ServantOfGod91 wrote:
aramaic, or arabic? arabic seems like it would make more sense in your situation. Aramaic is a derivative of the Hebrew language spoken in Judea around the time of Christ. Arabic is what is spoken by Iraqis

Since Arabic has no special need for concern in Iraq, as anyone there could be consulted for such a common tongue, it is likely roammedic989 really knew that Aramaic was what he wanted. The actual aboriginal peoples of Iraq in deed are still trying to prevent their own Aramaic language from being wiped out by the efforts of the Arabaic, non-aboriginal government there.

The origianl post was:
roammedic989 wrote:
Hello, I have recently returned from my second tour in Iraq. During the most recent deployment we stumbled upon an ancient ruins where of course Saddam has defaced much of it, however there was still some aramaic around. It was absolutely fascinating, and now I am trying to translate the phrase, "Be Not Forgotten," into aramaic. Although I am having a real time trying to do so, any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The average person in Iraq, being on the side of islam, will likely not prove helpful, as the ancient Aramaic inscriptions of the place are often resented as reminders that Arabic was a more recent intrusion on a non-Arabic civilization. I'll see if I can provide an accurate translation - I am also working on translating something else from English into Arabic.
0 Replies