WRETCHED EXCESS

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:43 pm
So, i've thought for days about starting this thread. But i've hesitated. It's about excessive compulsive behavior with food. I can eat a one pound bag of peanut M & Ms, no problem, in a single sitting, while lying on the sofa reading a book--in fact, i'll be diggin' in the bottom of the bag when it's empty and thinkin' to myself that i need to buy two or more bags at a time.

What lead me to decide to post this thread was that i was talkin' to Miss Brenda while Lovey was ooo-in' and ah-in' her way 'round the household/kitchen section in the basement at the Bay today, and she admitted to the same thing. Buy a two pound box of chocolates, and eat it in one night, straight through? No problem. I told of when i first moved to Ohio. I worked one blcok west of the Broad Street bridge, and when i got my first check, i walked to the Huntington Bank headquarters, one block east of the Broad Street bridge. One the ground floor, among the shops as you entered from Broad Street, there was a tobacconist and a cookie shop. I immediately devoloped a confirmed pattern. I'd deposit my check, keeping a few hundred in cash, and then stop at the tobacconist and buy two weeks worth of the tobaccos i preferred to roll for my smokes, and then step across to the other shop, where i would buy $50 or $60 worth of imported chocolate. That would be Friday afternoon--buy Monday morning, the chocolate would be gone.

Ah, wretched excess . . . come on, fess up . . . what's yer dirty little secret?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,317 • Replies: 51
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:47 pm
Gad, Set, I a magnetized by this thread. After weeks of figuring out what to call our gallery, often over lunch - of course - we came up with two names we could live with. One was Wretched Excess, and the other was Piante (italian for plants and plans). We went with the second, but I still keep a soft spot for the phrase.

Ok, I'll go back and read the question more seriously.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:49 pm
By God, don't you dare bring no seriosity inta this thread . . . it ain't got a serious bone in its body . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:51 pm
All right! I'll be careful not to. But I gotta go back and read it..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
ooohh

you mean we arent supposed to eat a whole bag o' sumpin?
shee-yit.

Cheetos man
they dont survive around me.

1 movie takes 1 big bag or 3 small snack bags.
Even after a big meal.

Always... AAALLLLWWAAAYYSS room for them thar' cheetos..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:55 pm
That's the spirit . . . i feel that way about popcorn, too . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:56 pm
Pistachios in big bags, salted of course. This is inherited from my former addiction to sunflower seeds.

Ruffles. (No, no, no, no, no.. etc.)

Chocolate milk.
I love really good chocolate candy, don't get me started, but buy it and eat it in moderation. The chocolate milk fills some internal reservoir of need.

OK, thas' a start.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
Miss Cleo says she feels the same way about the peanut butter doggies treats i just gave her . . . but since Lovey pays for 'em, i don't think i better give her the whole bag . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:58 pm
mmmmm

Ruffles with some cream cheese & hot sauce .
Well..not really HOT sauce..

that pace brand stuff.. in a jar
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:01 pm
In about 10 more minutes I should have a 2nd bag of jellybeans gone for the weekend. I got distracted by 2lb wheel of Gouda (now gone) during the Villanova game or the jellybans would have been gone much earlier.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:03 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Gad, Set, I a magnetized by this thread. After weeks of figuring out what to call our gallery, often over lunch - of course - we came up with two names we could live with. One was Wretched Excess, and the other was Piante (italian for plants and plans). We went with the second, but I still keep a soft spot for the phrase.

Ok, I'll go back and read the question more seriously.

Howsabout "Paint Misbehavin'. ?

Oil Vey ?

Help me out here folks.

<I made quick work of an entire box of Tricuits with a cheddar cheese chaser today>

I am ashamed of myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:11 pm
Testify, LTX, Testify ! ! !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:13 pm
I gotta big bag a Ruffles, and a two-liter Coke settin' next to the bed, and a Wodehouse, "Jeeves" novel i ain't never read . . . justa waitin' fer me . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:17 pm
What would Setanta do ?

Eat the whole bag ! Eat the whole bag !

It ain't about quantitity of life...It's aboot quality !

Go for the gusto !
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
Sunflower seed memories...

When I was a wee lass, I dunno, I am thinking it was when I was between eighteen and twenty-one, I worked at a big city catholic hospital a lot of hours a week while I went to school. This was back when you weren't supposed to work, or at least work much. Some of those hours were lame time. Paper clip and rubber band fights in the Cashier's office, and so on.

The hospital had a nifty library and I was near bizarrely interested in the library contents, being then pre-med. Also, that was a keeno place to do my homework, whatever year of the six years of school I worked there. My memory is that I would do that in off hours, between the end of some school class and my time to show up for Work.

Anyway, a fellow cashier (still a friend) and I had gone to the library - which the doctors tended to never show up at - one evening, and she was doing her spanish lit homework and I was puzzleing something about - who knows now, maybe psych101, and together we decimated a giant bag of sunflower seeds and put the shells in the ashtray, more or less. You know how it is, one misses from time to time.

We were nailed, and rather gently. Schniff.

There was another time in the quiet library when I was studying in the afternoon when the very darling greyish haired doctor from ireland talked to me for a while. I was at that point in time at that cusp between unbelievable naivete, now, and catching on. I can't remember what he said, and won't label it as harassment - probably never had sexual tones. Something quiet and nice.

So now I connect, years later, personal awakening, and............... sunflower seeds.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:41 pm
Too serious, I bet. But those mems make me grin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Anything loose, including chips, cookies, grapes - anything at all. Any leftover dinner gets picked at til it's gone. Chocolate, ice cream. That's what I crave at the moment! Ice Cream. Be back in a few minutes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:57 pm
Ice cream is tricky. An a2k friend and talked about this yesterday.. The deal is, you have to buy it just as you are going home. Or, have your car outfitted, in summer at least, with icecream temp maintaining capabilities.

Diane and I stopped just this last week in a place in old town...
I had a cup of chocolate, with an overlay of - guess what - pistachio.

mmmmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
Nice. I put the Ranger's A/C on extremely cold when I'm transporting ice cream. Right now we are on plain strawberry. Often I top it with a mix of real berries.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
It's the week before my....well...lets just say I have PMS and I needed this thread like a hole in the head Laughing

But seriously, I hear ya, Set. If I let myself, I'd be the same way, except I'd be in the bakery bying cheesecake and anything rich and creamy.
I love nuts, so I gotta pay attention when I sit down with a bag of those.

I won't go near Fritos because I just can't stop.

M&Ms with or without peanuts can be a problem (I see you can relate ;-) )

Oh oh, I'm starting to scare myself Shocked Laughing
0 Replies