Art Buchwald is choosing to die

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:27 am
Art Buchwald is choosing to die. The 80-year-old humorist, Marine, Pulitizer prize-winning commentator and author of 45 books said, "No, thank you," to kidney dialysis and contentedly awaits his death at a Capitol area hospice.

Diabetes already delivered him a stroke, amputation and generalized poor circulation. An inexorable decline holds no appeal. For two months he sat five hours a day, three days a week in the dialysis chair, then concluded it was not for him. Mr. Buchwald assures everyone he is happy and at peace.

For 55 years Buchwald's political satire entertained and influenced people. Still at the top of his game, he describes his decision to refuse treatment his "last hurrah."

We should all be so lucky. Art Buchwald can abbreviate a relentless loss of body, mind and function because he has a life-saving treatment to refuse. His death will be peaceful, painless and humane. Refusal of medical intervention is legal everywhere.

But what about those who cannot choose - those stuck in a dying process that is neither peaceful nor painless? They cannot stop their suffering or hasten their death by refusing treatment. The Second Circuit Court agreed, that they and Mr. Buchwald have a constitutional right to equal protection of their choices.

In 1997 the Supreme Court disagreed and punted to state lawmakers to correct the injustice. People not on life-sustaining treatment should have voluntary aid in dying. A legalization campaign is underway in California and Vermont today.

Because, as Art Buchwald says, "If you have to go, the way you go is a very big deal."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,303 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 05:34 pm
Art Buchwald is choosing to die
I admire Art Buchwald for his courage and honesty.

What is the point of dragging out a miserable pain-filled existence when you can't do anything, normal enjoyments are all denied to you because of your condition, and you know you're terminally ill, anyway?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 06:25 pm
I agree with Tomkitten. From what I understand, dialysis is a rigorous treatment, and simply postpones the inevitable. I think that Art has a lot of courage, and I applaud him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
I agree with everyone else.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
BBB
I had the misfortune to be in dire medical danger 15 years ago that included several emergency surgeries. Hospitalized again, after nearly three weeks of life saving intervention treatment, I begged the medical staff to let me die. I felt like a piece of meat with all the ports all over my body, constant 24/7 treatment, etc. and I just wanted to be left alone.

A friend asked me recently how I felt when it appeared I was going to die. No one had asked me that question before. I thought for a minute, then said, "Relieved."

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:14 am
BBB- I know where you are coming from. Around the same time frame as you, I was going through my "little inconvenience". I read "Final Exit", and picked out a way to commit suicide that was most agreeable to me. I had everything at the ready, "just in case". Happily, the "just in case", never materialized, but I would be prepared to kill myself should the need ever arise.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
Everyone here has my agreement as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:03 am
Peace to Art BUckwald. He seems to have well-thought the process and his public decision should help others.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:17 am
Phoenix
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BBB- I know where you are coming from. Around the same time frame as you, I was going through my "little inconvenience". I read "Final Exit", and picked out a way to commit suicide that was most agreeable to me. I had everything at the ready, "just in case". Happily, the "just in case", never materialized, but I would be prepared to kill myself should the need ever arise.

I've been a member of The Hemlock society since it first gained public attention; published about the organization, made TV and radio appearances, and supported legislation to make assisted suicide legal.

BBB
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
So have we. It's a pity that Oregon is 3000 miles away.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:10 am
As with many things about Art Buchwald, there was a punchline to his decision to die in March 2006. Despite his doctors' predictions to the contrary, his kidneys stubbornly continued to work. Buchwald left the hospice after living there for a few months, moved back in with his son, and published another book, "Too Soon to Say Goodbye". It wasn't until last Wednesday night that his kidney finally did say good bye to him, and he said good bye to us.

New York Times obituary

Washington Post obituary
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:21 am
This will put a smile on your face!

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/khtml/2007/01/18/obituaries/20070118_BUCHWALD_FEATURE.html
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 12:53 pm
Sad to see him go, he was always good for a chuckle and a moment of reflective thought. Even in death he makes me think as I wonder about this entire dialysis hassle and whether it is right to prolong an existence...especially considering how well he did without it.

(By the by Thomas...both your links land at The Washington Post)
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:24 pm
Why some people are stuck in the dying process?

With all the information available on Internet or near us, why do you need a physician to make an ethical decision and carry an act for you?

I do understand if you can't do it physically yourself.

However, this is a small % of people who ask a medical profession to do it on their behalf.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:28 pm
Quote:
had the misfortune to be in dire medical danger 15 years ago that included several emergency surgeries. Hospitalized again, after nearly three weeks of life saving intervention treatment, I begged the medical staff to let me die. I felt like a piece of meat with all the ports all over my body, constant 24/7 treatment, etc. and I just wanted to be left alone.

A friend asked me recently how I felt when it appeared I was going to die. No one had asked me that question before. I thought for a minute, then said, "Relieved."

How do u feel about it now?
0 Replies