House Adopts Global Plan of $15 Billion Against AIDS

au1929

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:48 am
House Adopts Global Plan of $15 Billion Against AIDS

By CARL HULSE

WASHINGTON, May 1 — The House adopted a $15 billion initiative to combat AIDS worldwide today. The vote was taken after conservatives won a requirement that at least one-third of the money promote sexual abstinence before marriage.
The religious right strikes again. Instead of using the money to treat the medical problem and the teaching of preventative measures such as the use of condoms the Bush administration demands that one-third of the funds be used to promote the abstinence. It is apparent that they are more concerned with pushing their idea of morality than attacking the problem in a real world setting. Will money be allocated to the pushing of abstinence achieve a purpose or will it be wasted? Should the administration have tied strings around the allocation inorder to promote their religious beliefs. .
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/02/national/02AIDS.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 871 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:53 am
Well, at least the world has $10 million for AIDS. I don't think that it is a bad idea to discuss abstinence with kids, but I think that the government, as they are wont to do, has gone overboard with this idea.

I think in terms of cost/effectiveness, the 5 million would have had a lot more "bang for the buck" if it had gone into research & treatment!
0 Replies