Sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening.....

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:44 pm
About once a year, maybe not even that often, I get these ungodly cravings for candy.

And I'm not talking about the good stuff either. I'm talking about thinking about of hitting the Pixie Stix rack at 7-11 for dinner with a Big Gulp chaser and some Sour Patch Kids for dessert.

Typically I don't even like candy. Not even the good stuff. I drink maybe a soda a month if I'm at one of those joints that brew their own root beer.

Thankfully the craving disappears as weirdly as it arrives and I'll not even think about candy for a long long time.

What could possibly account for these bizarre days of candy-mania?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,861 • Replies: 37
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
curious.......
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:45 pm
Hormones.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:54 pm
Hmmm.

It seems that if it were hormones that there would be some kind of consistency about it -- a PMS kind of thing. But it isn't like that at all.

And it isn't like I deny myself sweets. I'll have a piece of cake once in a while when confronted with something irresistable or a piece of apple pie if it is that cruncy kind instead of the gooey kind.

But candy?

It's just too weird.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:07 pm
Some sort of energy thing?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
I think craving Pixie Stix after the age of 12 could be a sign of insanity.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:48 pm
Energy.....

That could be it.

I have woken up tired the last few days. Not sleepy but tired in that numb mind sort of way. It has taken me a bit to get going.

Yeah, Pixie Stix are sick and I did not hit the 7-11 to indulge in them today. But I did ransack the kitchen and found leftover jawbreakers from Halloween and that is pretty sick on it's own.

I guess this isn't so bad. If I had mad cravings for savory I'd have eaten my way through the house today.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:49 pm
So..... you're not getting enough sleep or you're fighting off a cold and you feel tired - need a boost....? How often to you catch colds?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
I'm not sick.....

I HAVE been doing a major clean around the house trying to make life easier for Mo and his recently diagnosed asthma. Cleaning in the style of moving all of the BIG furniture and dusting the ceiling (I've so typed that word in six times and none of them look right -- weird) sort of cleaning.

My allergies are having a party.

I've been taking a Benedryl before bedtime.

But they usually don't make me sugar crazy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
boomer, I hate to say this but it seems pretty obvious that you're rapidly going insane. Get yourself a coat with extra long sleeves that tie in the back and enjoy the trip. Sweet Tarts can ease the transition.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:22 pm
It's whatshisface's fault!!

He made my brain sizzle.

Yummmmmmm

Sweet Tarts........
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:25 pm
I get candy/starch cravings during the inbetween season changes-- especially winter to spring. It's warm one day, then cold the next, sets my clock/routine askew, so I head for the sugar.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
AHA!

That is very interesting Gala. It is exactly like that here right now and my clock is not working for ****.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:40 pm
boomerang, today I ate about twenty of those sesame candies, dang they are good. I also had two cups of tea with a ton of sugar in them. And some tortilla chips, oh, and some tamari almonds. I almost bought a bag of chocolate but got side-tracked and the craving went away.

It just takes the uncertainty of the weather-- Wondering what kind of jacket to wear. As it turned out, I underdressed, and was a little cold. so sweets made up for it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
That could be it!

I have been freezing lately. I think it is because I'm ready for spring. Things are starting to bloom and the sun comes out and I'm ready to race outside.

When I get out there it is 47 degrees.

If I had been anywhere near a store today I would have been in real trouble.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:15 pm
boomer- Just for the hell of it, why don't you have some bloodwork done? We can speculate from today 'til doomsday, but a simple blood test will tell the tale!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:18 pm
I just had my glucose done about a week ago and it was fine.

Should I just have a full panel done?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:20 pm
Poopity. Everytime I see this thread, I want candy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
boomerang wrote:
I just had my glucose done about a week ago and it was fine.

Should I just have a full panel done?

Can't hurt................and if all is well, at least you don't have to be concerned that there is something physical going on.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:54 am
I'm guessing it's a different version of March madness.

I read an article recently in a fitness magazine (I'll try to find a link) that explained about late winter serotonin levels being at their lowest in Feb/March, seasonal depression being at its deepest (I can attest to that with daughter K and Mr B) and overall mood hitting the skids.

Maybe your response to late winter is a craving for sugar. Sugar results in a temporary high and can even cause hangover type symptoms the next day in people who aren't used to large amounts of sugar in their diet.

There's no danger in getting a full workup, but I think the warming days of April will bring you out of it.
0 Replies