Thomas

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:09 pm
Come on, okie! This is the Obamanistas' moment. Let them enjoy it; don't be a party-pooper. You'll have over five months to attack their candidate, starting tomorrow.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:10 pm
"I know one thing we did right
Was the day we started to fight.
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on, hold on."
0 Replies

okie

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:11 pm
Thomas wrote:
Come on, okie! This is the Obamanistas' moment. Let them enjoy it; don't be a party-pooper. You'll have over five months to attack their candidate, starting tomorrow.

You are right, Thomas. I will cease and desist. Let them have their day in the sun.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:23 pm
Once again... America chooses Taylor Hicks. we've know they would.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:11 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:20 pm
I'm still apprehensive about the VP thing, hoping Sozobe is correct in her estimation.

Meantime, I'm enjoying the countdown... a lot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
I've got CNN on... oh my goodness. "This is his night." All the history. Donna Brazile looking pretty emotional.

And, as Bill said, 4. Wowee.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:25 pm
snood wrote:
I want to say something personal about Obama, and him being president.

If Obama were actually elected president of this country, it would deeply and permanently validate me in a way that would be hard to describe.

It would decisively and authoritatively cash that "check" that MLK referred to, when he talked about the promise of this country, always coming back marked "insufficient funds".

It would settle in my mind and heart, once and for all, one question that has been buried in the psyche of persons of color for ages. The question is "Are we truly equal?"

Race is an elusive and treacherous issue. I see polls today that reflect a deep ambivalence and widespread dissonance. People, black and white, believe race to be still a telling factor in daily life in America - but - people all believe the problem to be coming from someone else. It is never they themselves who are harboring the destructive attitudes, it is always their neighbor, or some other people, elsewhere.

If Obama were elected president, I would finally know that all the talk I hear about progress and colorblindness and the land of opportunity, etc, etc, etc, had real substance.

If Obama were elected president, I could go to my grave with an age old anxiety stilled.
I would actually be able to say to a little black boy "If you study and work hard and play by the rules, there is no limit to what you can accomplish in America." People of color still say that to their children, but if Obama were elected president, I could by God actually mean it without the lingering doubts. We see Morgan Freeman (in Deep Impact) or Dennis Haysbert (on '24') play the role, but I submit that that is something we cannot really say with conviction until we've seen it happen.

Now, I know this is a terribly narrow and self-centered way of looking at something with a myriad of other issues involved. I know I'm talking about the office of the most powerful man on this planet as if it were some kind of popularity contest at the local Kiwanis, or something.

But I just wanted to say, on this thread here about the possibility of electing that man - that black man - as President of the United States of America, that dammit, it would mean so very much...

...to me.

Just wanted to bring forward Snood's post from December 2006 in this thread.

Tonight, we're passing over the first hurdle, Snood.

Thought you'd appreciate this new video that is out. When I watched it, the first thing I thought of was your post from back then.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/6/3/122737/7280

I, too, am crying and feeling extremely proud today.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:26 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
engineer wrote:

On the whole, I think Clinton can go back to the Senate as one of the biggest names in the Democratic party and she is completely out of the shadow of her husband. I think she also erased some of the comments in early March that her campaign was completely incompetent, so that's a plus.

I agree with that. She has also gained a strong position for herself in the event (however likely or unlikely you may see it) that she has a shot at the nomination in 2012.

That would be interesting. I think she burned some bridges over important rivers. Can she rebuild them? Will she try? That is to be seen.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:34 pm
Reminder:

History in the making... Don't forget to buy extra copies of newspapers and magazines this week and store them away carefully. They'll be valuable collector's items some day.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:38 pm
MSNBC says the nimber is 9.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:40 pm
So I need to turn off the computer and get the kid to bed... I hope to be back later but I might not be able to. Seems like it'll be good news in the morning regardless but I'd sure like to see it live.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:47 pm
I think if she had a shot at the VP slot, she wouldn't have try to browbeat Obama into it. She would be jumping on his bandwagon herself if she thought she was even a frontrunner for the job. I believe she's desperately trying to make the case publicly, because she's getting nowhere privately. If she doesn't get behind him soon; it can only be because she really wants to be able to run in 2012. That would leave absolutely no doubt that she's a scumbag. This contest has essentially been over for months and at this point she is doing absolutely nothing but damaging her Party.

On the other hand; I think I'm fine with that. Bush messed up his side, now Hillary hers, which means us non nutcases in the middle get an even louder voice.

In other news; I saw Obama won the "war vote" by a large margin. How soft is McCain with the popular vote there? Shocked Most Lefty's will have little choice but to go for Obama when the real campaign gets going on that... and it will.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:03 pm
CNN calls it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:19 pm
MSNBC as well.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/03/election.democrats/t1wide.obama.01.ap.jpg

OBAMARAMA

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 07:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
So I need to turn off the computer and get the kid to bed... I hope to be back later but I might not be able to. Seems like it'll be good news in the morning regardless but I'd sure like to see it live.

What a cruel thing to do to Obama's First Fan on the evening of his historic victory! What kind of mom are you?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:04 pm
Obama won Montana.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:31 pm
I know, Thomas, I feel bad. But she has school tomorrow and needs her sleep.

Missed the very beginning of Obama's speech -- anything notable? Did he do anything to say he's the nominee? He's been lighting into McCain since I started watching about 5 minutes ago.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:40 pm
Obama's speech. All I can say is WOW!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:45 pm
Soz, he spent the first few minutes taking positive inventory of Hilary Clinton in very flattering and gracious language.
0 Replies