Cycloptichorn

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:38 pm
The biggest age gap between two presidential candidates ever, iirc

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:46 pm
snood wrote:
Uhhh.... because Obama is 46 and McCain is 71?

So then we should ignore the fact that as a black man Obama is more prone to some diseases then a white man?
Diseases like Sickle Cell anemia.

Should we just ignore that fact?
After all, Sickle Cell can kill a person.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:56 pm
I wonder if you Americans elect a president and are all members of some life insurance company and want to get the monthly fees for two or three people.

(Actually, it would be fine if some certain members would post their medical data as well - so we knew how long they'll be here :wink: )
0 Replies

McTag

Sat 24 May, 2008 01:36 pm
Saw a quote from Gore Vidal in the paper today....

"I wouldn't care to be Obama as president of a country with no gun control- there's a good chance somebody will try to shoot him"
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 24 May, 2008 03:37 pm
mysteryman wrote:
snood wrote:

So then we should ignore the fact that as a black man Obama is more prone to some diseases then a white man?
Diseases like Sickle Cell anemia.

Should we just ignore that fact?
After all, Sickle Cell can kill a person.

You are born with sickle cell anemia. If Obama were to ever have it, he would have known for 46 years.

Another fact to not be ignored.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 24 May, 2008 04:30 pm
McTag wrote:

"I wouldn't care to be Obama as president of a country with no gun control- there's a good chance somebody will try to shoot him"

Is that why Obama has at least 20 secret service agents protecting him?
0 Replies

snood

Sat 24 May, 2008 05:04 pm
Uh, yes?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 24 May, 2008 05:18 pm
Miller wrote:
McTag wrote:

Can you source that? How many do Clinton and McCain have?
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:15 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Can you source that? How many do Clinton and McCain have?

I dont think McCain has any yet; from what I remember (but I cant be arsed to look it up) presidential candidates normally only get assigned official secret service security once they are officially the nominee (up till that time they have to arrange their own security). Obama was assigned the security early by ways of exception - because of threats, I assume.

Dunno about Clinton, but I assume former Presidents (so that would include Bill) automatically get assigned security detail as well?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:23 pm
I seem to remember that First Ladies get secret service protection for X number of years after leaving the office (and that Hillary is still covered by that).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:24 pm
I think you are wrong about that, Nimh. But I dare not do a Google search of Secret Service protection for candidates.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:25 pm
mysteryman wrote:
According to the news, Obama hasnt released his medical records yet. [..]

Why is that being ignored?

snood wrote:

Miller wrote:

snood wrote:
Uh, yes?

Laughing

There's sure a lot of **** to shovel out today eh? :wink:

Meanwhile, Mysteryman - instead of jumping straight through to the next possible Obama outrage the media are allegedly ignoring, couldnt you at least acknowledge Soz's reply on your previous one?

You said the media ignored something, she provided the links, you didnt answer, then got back later reiterating that the media ignored it, she replied again, you didnt answer and instead moved on to the next thing about Obama the media are allegedly ignoring. What is this, just throwing anything at the wall and hoping something will stick?
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:28 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
I think you are wrong about that, Nimh. But I dare not do a Google search of Secret Service protection for candidates.

OK fine I looked it up Razz

This is a CNN story from April 4:

Quote:
Sen. John McCain has made it very clear he doesn't want Secret Service protection, but Friday bowed to reality and said he will take it. McCain told Fox News Friday that he will meet with Secret Service officials next week to arrange for protection. [..]

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama got a security detail last May, earlier than any other candidate ever has, except for his Democratic rival Sen. Hillary Clinton, who has had Secret Service protection since her husband, Bill Clinton, was president.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:31 pm
Duly noted, Nimh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:33 pm
Thanks for looking it up, nimh!
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:35 pm
OK, and here's a CNN story from last year in May, about how and why Obama got protection:

Quote:
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, a U.S. senator from Illinois, has been placed under the protection of the Secret Service, the agency said Thursday.

The government is not aware of any specific, credible threat against Obama, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the decision. But his office has received hate mail and calls and other "threatening materials" in the past and during his campaign, the source said. [..]

They said the request stemmed from what one called the "cumulative effect" of a heavier campaign schedule, larger crowds and "just the growing perception internally" it was time to take additional security precautions that are best suited for the Secret Service. [..]

Illinois' senior senator, Democrat Dick Durbin, told reporters Thursday night that he relayed concerns about the size of the crowds Obama was drawing and other issues to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Reid decided to take the matter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff as an issue for a congressional advisory board, Durbin said.

"I knew the crowds were large ... but some of the other information given to us, unfortunately I think, raised a concern among many of [Obama's] friends," Durbin said.

"Unfortunately, some of the information we found was racially motivated. It is a sad reality in this day and age that Mr. Obama's African-American heritage is a cause for very violent and hatred, hated reactions among some people." [..]

Chertoff works with a congressional panel made up of half a dozen members of Congress, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Reid.

The decision to present the information to the advisory board was a bipartisan one, Durbin said, with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, also participating, he said.

Previously, two Democratic Senate sources told CNN that after Reid decided to take the matter to Chertoff as an advisory board issue, further discussions with the Obama campaign ensued and the official request for Secret Service protection was made.

The Secret Service said in a written statement that Chertoff, "after consultation with the congressional advisory committee, authorized the United States Secret Service to protect presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama." [..]

I was wrong about the Secret Service normally only providing security detail to formal nominees. Any candidate can request it - if (s)he meets certain criteria, which are outlined in the article as well:

Quote:
Other candidates could request Secret Service protection. The Secret Service is authorized to provide protection to "major" candidates as determined by the advisory committee, under certain guidelines.

Among those guidelines, the candidate must be announced, be actively campaigning in at least 10 states and have some degree of prominence in the polls.

Durbin said he hopes any candidate who feels there is a threat against them will "go through the same process and ask for protection."
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 24 May, 2008 06:43 pm
Our leader of the Loyal Opposition, and he's 18% ahead in the polls, was up on an upturned beer crate, an empty one, on a street corner in Crewe yesterday emptying his lungs at the shoppers.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 24 May, 2008 07:01 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

Chicken.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 07:03 pm
spendius wrote:
Our leader of the Loyal Opposition, and he's 18% ahead in the polls, was up on an upturned beer crate, an empty one, on a street corner in Crewe yesterday emptying his lungs at the shoppers.

Now dont tease me into unflattering remarks about the greater number of nuts in America...

Oh, ****. You bastard! Why do you make me do this!
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 24 May, 2008 07:25 pm
Quote:
Obama Takes 3 More Superdelegates

May 23, 2008
The Caucus / NYT

Senator Barack Obama added three superdelegates to his total today, a boost that comes after he saw just a trickle of delegates go to his side in recent days. Despite Mr. Obama's triumphant speech in Iowa and the buzz about the vice presidential search, the Senator had not initially capitalized on his performance in Tuesday's primaries, which gave him a majority of pledged delegates. (He received only two superdelegates on Wednesday and none on Thursday).

But the wave seems to be building again today, as Mr. Obama picks up three additional superdelegates - and one is a switch from Mrs. Clinton. Representative Dennis Cardoza of California cited Mrs. Clinton's signature campaign issue in justifying his change of sides. From his statement:

I am deeply concerned about the contentious primary campaign and controversy surrounding the seating of delegates from Florida and Michigan - two states Democrats need to win in November. I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution to seat the Michigan and Florida delegates so these states' voters are represented at the Convention. I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately. Therefore, I have made the decision to support Senator Obama at the Democratic Convention in my role as a super delegate.
Mr. Obama's campaign also announced the backing of Representative Jim Costa, also of California, and of Jenny Greenleaf, a Democratic National Committeewoman from Oregon.

There's some speculation about this (I didnt read that here, did I?):

Quote:
"The Cardoza 40″: Exodus of Clinton Delegates Begins

[..]

The Field has learned that Cardoza is the first of a group of at least 40 Clinton delegates, many of them from California, that through talking among themselves came to a joint decision that all of them would vote for Obama at the convention. They have informed Senator Clinton that it's time to unite around Obama, and that they will be coming out, one or two at a time, and announcing their switch between now and the convention if Senator Clinton doesn't do the same.

Cardoza is one of the leaders of this effort (which includes not only superdelegates, but here's something that should set off some paranoia in Camp Clinton: there are pledged Clinton delegates in "The Cardoza 40," too). One Field Hand reports that during a recent Cardoza fundraising event in California the effort was discussed openly in front of other Democrats. Cardoza's announcement, today, sent the message that the effort is serious and for real.

(I'll believe it when I see it)
0 Replies