Miller

Thu 22 May, 2008 09:52 am
Senator Clinton graduated from the best Law School in the USA.

Pooh on Harvard Law! Shocked
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 22 May, 2008 10:02 am
teenyboone wrote:
nimh wrote:
Quote:
American Idol and American Politics

[..]

So you have the woman candidate who is a determined survivor even though it was pretty clear early on that she would not be the winner (winners don't keep being sent to the endangered zone).

Count me confused... how is this supposed to be a parallel to Hillary Clinton, the "inevitable" candidate who started out with a lead of hundreds of superdelegates and thought she'd be easily able to knock out the opposition by Super Tuesday?

She had all the establishment support and started out as by far the favourite to win, and only lost when she squandered massive amounts of money and foolishly decided she could skip the caucuses because she'd win without them too. But we're supposed to see her as the hardy underdog who fought her way through against all expectations?

Harumph.

She's a PATENT whiner! GLOATS, when she THINKS, she's bested Obama or anyone! She's on a ME trip! Cool

Hillary holds a patent on whining?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Thu 22 May, 2008 10:05 am
If so she could make a mint suing for infringement.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 22 May, 2008 10:09 am
FreeDuck wrote:
:wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 22 May, 2008 10:43 am
nimh wrote:
Football club?

Ferrari. 60 year anniversary(last year).
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 22 May, 2008 11:00 am
Brand X wrote:
nimh wrote:
Football club?

Ferrari. 60 year anniversary(last year).

Ahh.. so my original association with Sputnik wasnt so far off after all Razz
0 Replies

teenyboone

Thu 22 May, 2008 12:33 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I couldn't reply for laughing at you! Love you, Free Duck!
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 22 May, 2008 02:49 pm
More on that Portland rally, and the central role the Decemberists played (coff):

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/the-little-rally-that-grew/index.html
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 23 May, 2008 06:01 am
That rally put Oregon on the map, like no other campaign, since, I've been alive! I'm in my early 60's so I know what I'm talking about having lived through the civil rights movement of the 60's and 70's. Not since the "I have a Dream" speech and the Million Man March, have I seen such a crowd to see ONE person. I forgot, the Pope draws large crowds too! Well, it was a phenomenon, for a liberal state, known for it's coffees and rainy weather! :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Fri 23 May, 2008 03:09 pm
nimh wrote:
Brand X wrote:
It happens with bands like that....it isn't so rare.

Really? So then you wont have any trouble mentioning a few other recent relatively obscure indie bands that normally drew 500-1,000 people and never had a top 30 album, which suddenly, overnight, without scoring a hit song or anything like that, two years after the appearance of their last CD, drew a crowd of 75,000?

Or, you know, considering Obama has drawn crowds of tens of thousands before, as recently as last month in fact, maybe the Decemberists support act beforehand is not the most logical explanation for why 75,000 people came to listen to Obama?

I'm having trouble even conceiving of the kind of stretch you're grasping for here... I'm guessing you're just stirring the pot, because surely this cant be something you're saying with a straight face.

I guess all of you missed my point.
When John Mellencamp appeared with Obama in Evansville, the media made a huge deal out of it.
Now, they seemed to either ignore or barely mention that there was a band at the Portland event.

I am wondering why the double standard?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Fri 23 May, 2008 03:09 pm
Clinton Kennedy Assassination Reference: Brings Up Bobby's Death In Saying Why She Stays In The Race
link
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 23 May, 2008 03:14 pm
mysteryman wrote:
nimh wrote:
Brand X wrote:
It happens with bands like that....it isn't so rare.

Really? So then you wont have any trouble mentioning a few other recent relatively obscure indie bands that normally drew 500-1,000 people and never had a top 30 album, which suddenly, overnight, without scoring a hit song or anything like that, two years after the appearance of their last CD, drew a crowd of 75,000?

Or, you know, considering Obama has drawn crowds of tens of thousands before, as recently as last month in fact, maybe the Decemberists support act beforehand is not the most logical explanation for why 75,000 people came to listen to Obama?

I'm having trouble even conceiving of the kind of stretch you're grasping for here... I'm guessing you're just stirring the pot, because surely this cant be something you're saying with a straight face.

I guess all of you missed my point.
When John Mellencamp appeared with Obama in Evansville, the media made a huge deal out of it.
Now, they seemed to either ignore or barely mention that there was a band at the Portland event.

I am wondering why the double standard?

Because it was Mellencamp -- a big name -- and because he was campaigning for BOTH, which is unusual. Most of the time, if it is a big-name musical act (like Bruce Springsteen), it goes hand-in-hand with an endorsement. That's what made it newsworthy.

Small-name musical acts don't get as much attention. From what I've read it's very, very common to have bands perform at rallies. I remember a video of Obama on stage with the band briefly at a Texas rally -- Asleep at the Wheel, maybe?

Anyway, as I've said before, the "ignore or barely mention" part is itself a canard. (Put forward by Hugh Hewitt, I found out -- seems to be ground zero of this stuff.) I mentioned earlier that the ~5 accounts I read of the rally at the time mentioned the Decemberists, and offered to do a more thorough check of how often they were or weren't mentioned (nobody took me up on it.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 23 May, 2008 08:17 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Clinton Kennedy Assassination Reference: Brings Up Bobby's Death In Saying Why She Stays In The Race
link
Shocked
A total piece of sh!t wrote:
"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it."
Unbelievable. No candidate is bulletproof. Any of them raising the prospect about their opponent is more than a little out of line.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Fri 23 May, 2008 08:49 pm
What in the hell was she talking about!
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 23 May, 2008 08:54 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
What in the hell was she talking about!

Ostensibly, staying in the race to the bitter end 'cuz ya just never know who might be the last 'man' standing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 23 May, 2008 09:08 pm
Setting DVR for Amy Polar's version now...
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sat 24 May, 2008 10:28 am
Obama's political team out-organized Clinton

Barack Obama's loyalists have stunned even themselves with success against Hillary Clinton
link
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Sat 24 May, 2008 10:32 am
teenyboone wrote:
That rally put Oregon on the map, like no other campaign, since, I've been alive! I'm in my early 60's so I know what I'm talking about having lived through the civil rights movement of the 60's and 70's. Not since the "I have a Dream" speech and the Million Man March, have I seen such a crowd to see ONE person. I forgot, the Pope draws large crowds too! Well, it was a phenomenon, for a liberal state, known for it's coffees and rainy weather! :wink:

and some terrific Reislings....
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:34 pm
According to the news, Obama hasnt released his medical records yet.
I wonder why nobody seems concerned about that when there is a whole thread about McCain and his medical records.

That sure seems like a double standard to me.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0508/Obamas_medical_records.html

Obama is going to release a SUMMARY of his records instead of the actual records.

What is he hiding?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/05/obama_plans_to_release_medical.html

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Why is that being ignored?
0 Replies

snood

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:36 pm
Uhhh.... because Obama is 46 and McCain is 71?
0 Replies