kickycan

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:38 am
real life wrote:
snood wrote:

Catherine Crier says it well here:

Here are the controversial comments Barack Obama uttered in San Francisco. "You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and...... they cling to ....antipathy to people who aren't like them ...... as a way to explain their frustrations."................

Inartful........

No, it's not inartful.

It's a smooth way of calling Pennsylvanians bigots.

Obama is out of the closet, calling others out as bigots if they have the temerity to think differently than he does.

These remarks are more damaging than anything Wright said because they confirm that Obama has the same bigotry that Wright has, he's just a better public speaker than the preacher.

You see, Obama 'understands' why they are frustrated. They don't. They need him to explain to them what they think and why. Poor sheep. Good shepherd Obama is here, rest easy.

Wow, you are REALLY on Obama's case lately. You must really hate this guy.

Dear God,

Please let Barack Obama win and become our next president. Not that I really think it will really make all that much difference in the world, it's just that there is this incredibly judgmental and annoying pseudo-christian on this website I know who would have a really hard time with that, and I'd love to rub it in his smug, self-righteous face.

Thanks, G.

Peace out
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:45 am
real life wrote:
Last time I checked, Dobson isn't running for office, and McCain didn't attend a church pastored by Dobson.

Neither did McCain refer to Dobson as 'my mentor

No, instead McCain has praised Rev. Rod Parsley as a "spiritual guide". And he's no better than Wright.
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:47 am
By the way, I started a thread last night - I guess many of you saw it already, but if not here it is:

Why did Obama stay in Rev. Wright's church?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:56 am
I think I like this debate (the "bitter" thing).

1.) It keeps newspapers, pundits, etc. from saying that it's all over for Hillary shortly before the PA primary. I think that helps her, mobilizes a certain "it ain't over yet!!" crowd.

2.) The attempt is to paint Obama as elitist, but he's actually saying something pretty sympathetic to PA voters. I mean, her campaign is handing out stickers that say "I'm not bitter;" is that actually true? How are people going to react to being told that they're not bitter? Isn't that the worst of what people have accused Obama of with the "hope" stuff?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:57 am
I did see that, very cool. I'm composing a reply now... rambling so far, might not hit "submit" for a while yet. (About Deaf culture/ black culture parallels and implications thereof.)
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:28 am
http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2008/04/11/17/835-20080411-CAMPAIGN-WOMEN.large.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/33411.html
0 Replies

real life

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:32 am
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
snood wrote:

Catherine Crier says it well here:

Here are the controversial comments Barack Obama uttered in San Francisco. "You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and...... they cling to ....antipathy to people who aren't like them ...... as a way to explain their frustrations."................

Inartful........

No, it's not inartful.

It's a smooth way of calling Pennsylvanians bigots.

Obama is out of the closet, calling others out as bigots if they have the temerity to think differently than he does.

These remarks are more damaging than anything Wright said because they confirm that Obama has the same bigotry that Wright has, he's just a better public speaker than the preacher.

You see, Obama 'understands' why they are frustrated. They don't. They need him to explain to them what they think and why. Poor sheep. Good shepherd Obama is here, rest easy.

Wow, you are REALLY on Obama's case lately. You must really hate this guy.

No, kicky, I don't hate him at all.

But he is running for office and his views are fair game for examination, aren't they?

He called Pennsylvanians bigots.

Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for someone who characterized you as a bigot?

That was my point.

and btw I get on McCains case and Hilly/Billy's case too. They don't get a free pass from me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:32 am
Cool, blatham.

sozobe wrote:
How are people going to react to being told that they're not bitter?

I wrote the above after just seeing a mention of the stickers in a Yahoo article, here's more from TPM:

Theda Skocpol wrote:
The distribution of "we're not bitter" stickers to her campaign rallies is the height of over-the-top crudity, and the reports are that very few audience members seem to have much enthusiasm for this nonsense. Not surprisingly, people cannot see the reasons for so much fuss.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:35 am
pssst...
Sunday on C-SPAN at 6:30pm (ET) How We Pick the President Sunday "The Week" Magazine & The Aspen Inst. host a panel discussion on the 2008 presidential campaign titled, "How We Pick the President: What's Moving Voters in 2008." Panelists include Republican Strategist Karl Rove, Democratic Pollster Doug Schoen, and Fmr. NY Times Executive Editor, Howell Raines.
0 Replies

revel

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:22 am
I think Obama struck a cord with a lot of people and most pundits non stop talking heads are just too "elitist" themselves to see it. I am hopeful it will get some of those in these districts something to think about who normally do vote for someone because some "out of touch" issue such as a bill to ban gay marriage rather than someone who might give them jobs. I have to admit I would really be surprised to see that happening and don't really count on it. Hillary and her supporters talking right now on Sunday talk shows sound just like the republicans did back in the 2004 election year.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:14 am
real life wrote:

He called Pennsylvanians bigots.

Again, you prove you are living on another planet. Get a grip on reality.
0 Replies

eoe

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:16 am
When did he call Pennsylvanians bigots? Shocked
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:17 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/18372/thumbs/r-HILLARY-DRINKING-huge.jpg

Clinton Becomes A Gun Lover

CNN reported Saturday that Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton touted her experience with guns and hunting to a crowd in Indiana:

Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

"I disagree with Sen. Obama's assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration," she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

"You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught be how to shoot when I was a little girl," she said.

"You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It's part of culture. It's part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it's an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

ABC News later reported that Clinton also visited a restaurant in Crown Point, Indiana to share a shot of whiskey with the locals:

Clinton stood by the bar and took a shot of Crown Royal whiskey. She took one sip of the shot, then another small sip, then a few seconds later threw her head back and finished off the whole thing.

Clinton later sat down at a table and enjoyed some pizza and beer, and called over Mayor Tom McDermott of Hammond, Ind., to come join the table.

"Every time I get around you we start drinking, senator," the mayor exclaimed.

Clinton nodded and raised her glass.

"It's Saturday night, though, Tom," she said.

Love those pics!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:22 am
http://wcco.com/local/superdelegate.barack.obama.2.698577.html

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ¯ One of Minnesota's last uncommitted Democratic superdelegates is backing Barack Obama, the Obama campaign announced Sunday.

Nancy Larson, of Dassel, a Democratic National Committee member, told The Associated Press she decided to support Obama because his campaign will bring new people into the political process, and she believes he has the best chance of winning in November.

"It's looking more and more that the one person who can do it is Barack Obama," Larson said.

But Larson said the choice wasn't easy. As one of the last two uncommitted superdelegates in Minnesota, Larson had been lobbied heavily by Obama's and Hillary Clinton's campaigns. She said she spent countless hours speaking with the campaigns and others about her choice.

Larson joins eight other Minnesota superdelegates who are supporting Obama. Three are backing Clinton.

Larson's announcement leaves U.S. Representative Collin Peterson as the only uncommitted superdelegate from the state.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:32 am
Al Gore has shortened in the betting in London to 25-1. He was 50-1 last time I looked. And that's to win the White House.

He's actually the obvious choice except for suicidal dems.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:26 pm
Swift Kids for Truth:

Snow job ....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7s8TuvZ8U
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 03:06 pm
Hee...

The "bitter" thing doesn't seem to have made a dent yet, dunno if it will.
Pundits are sure fulminating about it but I'm not sure that it will actually sway
anyone. People who didn't like Obama don't like it, people who did like
Obama aren't bothered by it, and the swingables/ undecideds...? Dunno.
Goes back to what I said before that when you pit "people have a reason to
be bitter"(Obama) against handing out "I'm not bitter" stickers (Clinton), it
seems to like it would end up benefiting Obama more. We'll see though.
Where things are now:

http://blogs.trb.com/news/politics/blog/GallupSunday.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:02 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Swift Kids for Truth:

Snow job ....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7s8TuvZ8U

Laughing

"Does baking cookies for me make my mother a bad person? Hillary Clinton thinks so.." Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:21 pm
This one's funny too:

Swift Kids on Rudy Giuliani

"No Democrat has the guts to stand up and say 9/11.. a lot. I never heard Barack Obama say 9/11 .. once."

"It's about time that someone stood up .. and said 9/11. A lot."

---------

And this one's baaaad... (as in, really funny Laughing )

Swift Kids on Barack Obama

"Hey Barack, are we gonna go skiiing? In the snow? With some cocaine?"

---------

Swift Kids on John Edwards

"John Edwards .. paid over four thousand dollars ... to get his nails done. I should know ... because my mum ... gave him that manicure."

---------

Nannies of Swift Kids for Truth

--------

Hilarious. Thanks Tico Smile
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:27 pm
It's Obama, stupid: Carter and Gore to end Clinton bid

DEMOCRAT grandees Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are being lined-up to deliver the coup de grâce to Hillary Clinton and end her campaign to become president.
Falling poll numbers and a string of high-profile blunders have convinced party elders that she must now bow out of the primary race.

Former president Carter and former vice-president Gore have already held high-level discussions about delivering the message that she must stand down for the good of the Democrats.

"They're in discussions," a source close to Carter told Scotland on Sunday. "Carter has been talking to Gore. They will act, possibly together, or in sequence."

An appeal by both men for Democrats to unite behind Clinton's rival, Barack Obama, would have a powerful effect, and insiders say it is a question of when, rather than if, they act. link
0 Replies