dyslexia

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:55 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Has anybody noticed that at times Rama is the last person to have posted on every single active Politics Forum thread?
Interesting syntax. Noam Chomsky would probably be disappointed as he conceives syntax as the study of linguistic knowledge as embodied in the human mind and yet suggests it be congruent. So it goes.

I see your point, Dys, but that is getting picky.
For sure. What comes around, goes around.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
BTW I am not a genius, I am a sub-genius.

You are a sub-genius.

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/pics6/funway/JR-BOB-DOBBS.jpg

Actually, it was just a quip that went over the head of the only brainless person to ever (or so he claims) have passed the Kansas Bar Exam.

Quote:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:58 pm
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

You are a sub-genius.

Actually, it was just a quip that went over the head of the only brainless person to ever (or so he claims) have passed the Kansas Bar Exam.

Umm... actually, what Tico wrote was "You are a sub-genus." Of diffuse classification, I would guess.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:07 pm
I am of the opinion that A2K face the slow steady end like ABUZZ.
In my case i can swimm in Indian ocean.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:16 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

You are a sub-genius.

I'd be curious to know who actually understood your quip before you clarified.
0 Replies

okie

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:21 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

Actually Roxi, you can't hold a candle to Ticomaya. I would suggest you quit trying, as each attempt only makes you look worse, as if it could worse.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:37 pm
okie wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Actually Roxi, you can't hold a candle to Ticomaya. I would suggest you quit trying, as each attempt only makes you look worse, as if it could worse.
Actually Okie, Roxxxanne is a dingbat nut, but you are hardly one to suggest she quit trying as your credibility is less than outstanding. As to holding a candle to Ticomaya, I'm quite sure Ticomaya can fend for himself more than adequately. You might be actually dragging Ticomaya down to your level of integrity by your implied support.
0 Replies

real life

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:50 pm
snood wrote:

Catherine Crier says it well here:

Here are the controversial comments Barack Obama uttered in San Francisco. "You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and...... they cling to ....antipathy to people who aren't like them ...... as a way to explain their frustrations."................

Inartful........

No, it's not inartful.

It's a smooth way of calling Pennsylvanians bigots.

Obama is out of the closet, calling others out as bigots if they have the temerity to think differently than he does.

These remarks are more damaging than anything Wright said because they confirm that Obama has the same bigotry that Wright has, he's just a better public speaker than the preacher.

You see, Obama 'understands' why they are frustrated. They don't. They need him to explain to them what they think and why. Poor sheep. Good shepherd Obama is here, rest easy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:01 pm
real life wrote:
not really very smooth, I'd say blunt. I believe he's correct.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:06 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

real life

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:17 pm
dyslexia wrote:
real life wrote:

I'd say Obama has very little room to talk regarding 'antipathy to people who aren't like them' when he associates with religious bigots like James Meeks and Jeremiah Wright.

Fortunately, folks don't tend to vote for someone who calls them a bigot. So this strategy will probably set him back some. Keep it up Obama.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:18 pm
real life wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
real life wrote:

I'd say Obama has very little room to talk regarding 'antipathy to people who aren't like them' when he associates with religious bigots like James Meeks and Jeremiah Wright.

Fortunately, folks don't tend to vote for someone who calls them a bigot. So this strategy will probably set him back some. Keep it up Obama.
Yeah right, just forget about folks like Dobson.
0 Replies

real life

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:28 pm
dyslexia wrote:
real life wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
real life wrote:

Yeah right, just forget about folks like Dobson.

Last time I checked, Dobson isn't running for office, and McCain didn't attend a church pastored by Dobson.

Neither did McCain refer to Dobson as 'my mentor, my close friend and I have no idea what he stands for'.

Neither did McCain support Dobson's ministry to the tune of $20,000+ a year.

Neither did Dobson promote a 'White Values System' nor proclaim his ministry 'Unapologetically White' and 'Serving the White Community'.

Any comparison between Wright and Dobson falls flat.

That is , unless you can show that Dobson believes blacks have conspired in some way to kill whites (Wright's AIDS fantasy)

Or if you can show that Dobson referred to 9/11 as 'a wake up call to Black America, to show that they can't ignore whites any longer'.

Really, Dyslexia, is that the best you can do?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:15 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Should i post a thread with my usual cut and paste
to expose my ignorance?

Ramafuchs,

It isn't your "ignorance" that is the problem with your posts. It is your communication skills and the inability to compose coherent sentences so that your expressed views can be comprehended as more than just jibberish.

I realize that English is not your primary language and I commend you for the struggle to communicate with us in English. It appears this communication issue has been a problem for you for many years. I wish you spent a little less time posting and more time improving those skills so the quality of your sentences was equal to your wide-read knowledge you wish to share with us.

You have views just like all the rest of us, and are free to express them just like the rest of us. However, jibberish is jibberish no matter what language it is in and it is difficult to have dialog with jibberish. Work on eliminating the jibberish and your perceived "ignorance" will diminish.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:20 pm
Sorry if this is a repeat. I can't keep up with the discussion content drowned out by the rutting between the bulls.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/2008/04/bitter-and-angry-in-rural-penn.php

Quote:
Bitter and Angry in Rural Pennsylvania: Obama's Reality vs. Hillary's Fantasy

By astral66 - April 12, 2008, 4:40PM

Maybe there aren't Bubbas driving around in pickup trucks with the classic bumpersticker "God, Guns and Guts Made America Free" where Obama's detractors live, but here in rural Pennsylvania that line may as well replace "e pluribus unum" as the motto on the national currency.

I live in western Pennsylvania, and I can tell you, people here are bitter and angry. Poverty is prevalent. People hunt squirrels and eat them, along with racoon stew. People also hunt deer here, not for sport, but so they can put meat in their freezer so they can feed their families. They cut wood in the forests and heat their homes with wood stoves because they can't afford to pay the gas bill. I know a guy who goes to old landfills to dig up old milk and beer bottles to sell on eBay. He uses the proceeds t o buy clothes for his family at the Salvation Army (and to pay for his dial-up connection).

Racism and prejudice are ever-present here. A friend of mine is part-owner of bar in a small rural town south of where I live. I meet up with him there occasionally and watch as down-and-out people come in with their disability and welfare check money and drink it away. It's a pretty depressing place, but it does serve as the social center for a town that has seen its few industries shut down and the local people's jobs eliminated or shipped off elsewhere.

I hear the usual rants there, that it's all the fault of gays and minorities and immigrants (although those aren't the terms used, but rather the usual, virulent slurs). A black man walked in the last time I was there, and a guy near me at the bar muttered in a not-so-quiet way, "What's he think he's doing in here?" When I brought up the presidential race and Obama with an other man at the bar, his response was, "there ain't no way America is ever going to vote for a black guy." Later on my bar-owner friend told me about his experience talking about Obama with another woman at the bar, and her angry response was that "it's because of half-breed n*****s like him that America is in such bad shape today."

Prejudice, racism and fear do run rampant in areas like this. People are poor. They are in bad health, overweight from a deep-fried diet, and toothless from the lack of dental care. They are unemployed. They are uneducated. They do cling to their hunting rifles and to their religious beliefs. For many, it is about all that they have. The towns around here are full of decaying, boarded up buildings. People live in rundown old trailers with abandoned cars in the front yard. I have seen people using an old car as a stable, with their goat tied to and living in it. I could drive you by a least three old houses that have Condera te flags in the windows.

So go ahead and discount Obama's talk of how bitter and angry that some of the people of rural Pennsylvania are. Call him elitist for taking the time to pass through areas such as this to listen to what the people have to say, and to then relate what he has heard to people in more prosperous parts of the country when he is asked about it. I have lived in San Francisco, and let me tell you, there is a marked difference between the general attitude there and the attitude here in the "rust belt". Go ahead and dismiss everything that Obama said as political posturing. Let Hillary and McCain "pick him apart" and parse his words. But please keep in mind that when Obama said:

"it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

that he is 100% accurate in his assessment.& nbsp;

I know, because I live here, my family and my friends' families have lived here for generations, and we see it every day, all around this region. There is a very fine line between poverty and prosperity here, where making above $20,000 a year puts you in the realm of the "haves", but also knowing that you're one contract termination away from joining the ranks of the "have-nots".

I come from a family of dairy farmers. I know what it's like to spend up to 12-16 hours a day sitting on a tractor for three dollars an hour, which I did through high school and every summer until I was fortunate enough to head off to college. Many of my friends were also fortunate and went to school, and then relocated to other parts of the country. Some of us were able to come back under better circumstances, but the large majority of people here are not as fortunate.

Thirty years worth of the right wing dismantling our public education system has t aken its toll. Thirty years worth of mismanagement of the economy, of shutting down factories and shipping jobs out of the country, of subsidizing corporate farms and taxing family farms out of business, has taken its toll.

Yes, people are angry, and bitter, but Obama never said that they aren't resilient, opitmistic or hard-working. Those are Hillary and McCain's twisted words, and for them to stand up and suggest that rural Pennsylvanians aren't fed up with the way things are, only reveals how out of touch they really are with at least this part of the country.

Of course, all McCain has to do is suggest to poor rural folk that the party of gun-control, gay marriage, and NAFTA is going to take away what little they have left, and rural conservatives will vote for him, just as they did for Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. As for Hillary, the more she "takes apart" Obama's message, the more she does the GOP's work for free. If Hillary can't see that the p eople of rural Pennsylvania are bitter, and angry, and mad as hell about the way things are, then she needs to step down from that one hundred million dollar platform of hers and take a real look around.

In western Pennsylvania I hear two things: the "God, Guns and Guts" crowd see John McCain as the heir-apparent to the mantle of rural conservative values; and the people who hope for some kind of change see Barack Obama as the person who understands the situation that we are in, and maybe is the one who can lead us in a new direction. What I don't hear is anyone talking about whatever and whomever it is that Hillary claims to stand for.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:58 pm
This is my offence against the system

"Many progressives have become involved in the Obama campaign, because they make him out to be a charismatic leader with the potential to unite the nation and restore the American dream after what they perceive as years of disenfranchisement. Because his speeches reach beyond class, race, religion, or other factors that usually foster divisiveness, these progressives feel connected once again –as a people and as participants in the political game. As it sweeps through, this wave of energy could transform the nation, but only if sustainable in the long run. Which is why one needs to question how the dedicated campaigners will react if their dream gets shattered. Will they go home and start business as usual until the next charismatic leader comes along, if that were to happen again? Doesn’t it denote a rather immature stance for a people to believe that they can only be rescued by a powerful and compelling figure backed by corporate money?

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/04/campaign-deconstruction-and-movement-building/
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:14 am
Hillary like some of her supporters has come completely unhinged, she is now claiming to be a native Pennsylvania and trying to portray herself as a backwoods gal. It would be laughable if it were not so pathetic. Her trust factor is about to dip to zero:

Theda Skocpol writes at TPM

I have been in meetings with the Clintons and their advisors where very clinical things were said in a very-detached tone about unwillingness of working class voters to trust government -- and Bill Clinton -- and about their unfortunate (from a Clinton perspective) proclivity to vote on life-style rather than economic issues. To see Hillary going absolutely over the top to smash Obama for making clearly more humanly sympathetic observations in this vein, is just amazing. Even more so to see her pretending to be a gun-toting non-elite. Give us a break!

I wonder if she realizes that gaining a few days of lurid publicity that might reach a slice of voters is going to cost her a great deal in the regard of many Democrats, whose strong support she will need if she somehow claws her way to the nomination -- and even more so if she does not clinch the nomination. The distribution of "we're not bitter" stickers to her campaign rallies is the height of over-the-top crudity, and the reports are that very few audience members seem to have much enthusiasm for this nonsense. Not surprisingly, people cannot see the reasons for so much fuss.

Yes, she wants a big break, she desperately wants the nomination she and Bill believe is hers by right. We all know that. But where is her authenticity and her dignity and her sense of any proportion?

This has to be one of the few times in U.S. political history when a multi-millionaire has accused a much less wealthy fellow public servant, a person of the same party and views who made much less lucrative career choices, of "elitism"! (I won't say the only time, because U.S. political history is full of absurdities of this sort.) In a way, it is funny -- and it may not be long before the jokes start.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:18 am
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/18372/thumbs/r-HILLARY-DRINKING-huge.jpg

Clinton Becomes A Gun Lover

CNN reported Saturday that Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton touted her experience with guns and hunting to a crowd in Indiana:

Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

"I disagree with Sen. Obama's assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration," she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

"You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught be how to shoot when I was a little girl," she said.

"You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It's part of culture. It's part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it's an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.

ABC News later reported that Clinton also visited a restaurant in Crown Point, Indiana to share a shot of whiskey with the locals:

Clinton stood by the bar and took a shot of Crown Royal whiskey. She took one sip of the shot, then another small sip, then a few seconds later threw her head back and finished off the whole thing.

Clinton later sat down at a table and enjoyed some pizza and beer, and called over Mayor Tom McDermott of Hammond, Ind., to come join the table.

"Every time I get around you we start drinking, senator," the mayor exclaimed.

Clinton nodded and raised her glass.

"It's Saturday night, though, Tom," she said.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:24 am
It Takes Real Chutzpah for a Guy Who Owns Eight Houses (McCain) to Call Barack Obama an "Elitist"

McCain doesn't lack "chutzpah." Yesterday his campaign actually accused Barack Obama of being an "elitist" for saying that it's not surprising that people in small Midwestern towns are bitter after seeing their standard of living systematically destroyed over the last three decades.

Damn right they're bitter; they have good reasons to be. And most of those reasons are the economic and trade policies that have - and continue to be - championed by George Bush and John McCain.

The McCain campaign is managed by a cadre of Washington-insider special interest lobbyists. He and his current wife are estimated to be worth about $100 million. He reportedly owns eight houses. His let-them-eat-cake economic policies are based on George Bush's failed radical conservative "you're on your own buddy" philosophy. One after another he supported trade agreements that protect the rights of corporations, but ignore the rights of labor, and have devastated one Pennsylvania community after another. He gets most of his campaign cash from the wealthiest corporate interests around. And he has the gall to call Barack Obama an "elitist"?

This is the same Barack Obama who spent years of his life organizing out-of-work steelworkers on the south side of Chicago - people just like those who live in Allentown or Erie or Pittsburgh or the Monongehela Valley in western Pennsylvania. He stood shoulder to shoulder with them, sat at their kitchen tables, spent hours in their church basements.

He didn't do those things as a famous candidate, but as a community organizer being paid $8,000 a year by a coalition of churches. You don't build a resume or a client list organizing unemployed steel workers. You do it because you respect the people and you care about justice.

In fact, the trademark of Barack Obama's campaign for president is the honest, respectful way he talks to everyone -- and stands up for everyday Americans.

If you want to talk about patronizing, or "elitism", you need look no farther than the way Bush and McCain attempt to use fear and division to divert the attention of middle class people from the economic policies that pick their pockets, lower their wages, destroy their unions, and outsource their jobs. And all the while they use our money to bail out Wall Street, and give giant tax breaks to the real "elitists" -- the economic elite.

It is Barack Obama who can lead a movement to change the way things are done in Washington. He can do it by empowering and inspiring the people who live in small-town Pennsylvania, and all of the other middle class Americans who have been left out by Bush-McCain policies that have benefited the "masters of the universe" on Wall Street and the Gucci-shoed lobbyist set on "K" Street.

As for Hillary Clinton, who joined in attacking Obama's statement: she should know better. She knows that Obama is the furthest thing from an elitist, and she should know better than to join in the Republican narrative about the candidate who is the likely Democratic standard bearer in the fall.
0 Replies