okie

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:37 pm
Which is stupider, the first statement, or the explanation?

First statement:

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Now the Explanation:

"Lately there has been a little typical sort of political flare up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois who are bitter," Obama said Saturday morning at Ball State University. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country."

I think the explanation is worse than the first statement. I actually think Obama is the bitter man, as evidenced by a number of things. I personally don't know anyone that is bitter. The closest thing to it is getting mad that a presidential candidate can be this ignorant and out of touch. And if he actually thinks this stuff, he is a nut.
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:54 pm
If you dont believe that there's a whole lotta people out there who are pretty damn angry about what's happened to the country, you've got another thing coming.

Here, check out these numbers about whether people think the country is going in the right direction, or is off on the wrong track: http://pollingreport.com/right.htm

Check out a couple of these polls and then compare what the numbers were like five or ten years ago.

People are pissed off allright.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:15 pm
okie wrote:
I think the explanation is worse than the first statement. I actually think Obama is the bitter man, as evidenced by a number of things. I personally don't know anyone that is bitter. The closest thing to it is getting mad that a presidential candidate can be this ignorant and out of touch. And if he actually thinks this stuff, he is a nut.
Rolling Eyes If you actually believe what you just posted; you're an idiot. Pointing out that bitter people are bitter is hardly qualification for nut-hood. On the other hand: Anybody who thinks factually pointing out understandable bitterness means the speaker must be bitter, probably is a nut. Talk about ignorant and out of touch? Laughing Do you honestly think no one who lost their jobs as a result of the largely bi-partisan supported NAFTA became bitter? Do you really think none of these people turned to religion and other distractions from their misery? Get a grip man.

Now I happen to like NAFTA, though I'd like to see some added protections for foreign workers, both for their own sake and to help level the playing field for our own. That doesn't mean I don't recognize the obvious hardship that some Americans have endured since the agreement went into effect. Nor could I ever be dumb enough to believe some folks wouldn't be bitter over their losses... or that they've found other things to concentrate on. (Duh). Here, I'll take it a step further: some of these bitter folks who lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own have no doubt taken their misery out on their families by way of abuse. Some have turned to crime. And some have no doubt chosen to end their very lives...

Now I suppose some one will be along to suggest that I believe that's how all of these folks responded. And maybe some complete idiot will accuse me of accusing Pennsylvanians of being abusive suicidal criminals, for doing nothing more than pointing out some obvious truths.

If this is the best thing Obama's opponents can find to put in their spin machines; he's going to be just fine. Anybody want to bet?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:18 pm
0 Replies

okie

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:35 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
okie wrote:
Rolling Eyes If you actually believe what you just posted; you're an idiot.

You are just as out of touch as Obama. People have guns because they are bitter? Preposterous. People are religious because they are bitter? Bizarre. People are against illegal immigration because they are bitter? You are just as nuts, Bill. People are frustrated because they simply want the law enforced. Got that, Bill.
Quote:
Pointing out that bitter people are bitter is hardly qualification for nut-hood.

Perhaps not, but the explanation of what they do is.
Quote:
On the other hand: Anybody who thinks factually pointing out understandable bitterness means the speaker must be bitter, probably is a nut.

No, not to analyze Obama, excuse me, but Obama just analyzed every person in small towns so I think I am justified to analyze him. For a guy to hang around angry people, such as Jeremiah Wright, and actually believe some of that bilge indicates to me he is a very bitter man.
Quote:
Talk about ignorant and out of touch? Laughing
Obama is out of touch, and if you believe him, so are you, Bill.
Quote:
Do you honestly think no one who lost their jobs as a result of the largely bi-partisan supported NAFTA became bitter? Do you really think none of these people turned to religion and other distractions from their misery? Get a grip man.
Yes, and is NAFTA because they are out of a job? Get a grip, Bill.

Quote:
Now I happen to like NAFTA, though I'd like to see some added protections for foreign workers, both for their own sake and to help level the playing field for our own. That doesn't mean I don't recognize the obvious hardship that some Americans have endured since the agreement went into effect. Nor could I ever be dumb enough to believe some folks wouldn't be bitter over their losses... or that they've found other things to concentrate on. (Duh). Here, I'll take it a step further: some of these bitter folks who lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own have no doubt taken their misery out on their families by way of abuse. Some have turned to crime. And some have no doubt chosen to end their very lives...

Now I suppose some one will be along to suggest that I believe that's how all of these folks responded. And maybe some complete idiot will accuse me of accusing Pennsylvanians of being abusive suicidal criminals, for doing nothing more than pointing out some obvious truths.

If this is the best thing Obama's opponents can find to put in their spin machines; he's going to be just fine. Anybody want to bet?

I realize Obamaites will defend the man no matter how bad this looks for him, but I feel sorry for such stupidity, but don't include the rest of us in the stupid statements.

For a guy that seemed likeable, I stated such several times in the past, but the more I learn of Obama, the more turnoff it becomes. I want no part of his politics of division.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
Laughing Care to put your money where your mouth is?
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
okie wrote:
People have guns because they are bitter? Preposterous. People are religious because they are bitter? Bizarre. People are against illegal immigration because they are bitter?

You realise that this is not what Obama said, right?
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:51 pm
Again, this is what he said:

Quote:
"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

He did not say that the only reason people would be religious is cause they're bitter - hell, he's religious himself. He did not say that the only reason people have guns is cause they're bitter. Thats just plain not what he said.

It's like as if I would point at some girls I got to know and said, they sure had a hard life, no wonder they drink a fair bit; and Okie would tell me off because I'm suggesting that anybody who drinks a beer must have had a f*cked up life.

Way I see it, y'all are just angling for problems now, eagerly embracing any shred of evidence that Obama is really, however likable he seemed, a bad, bad man.
0 Replies

real life

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:51 pm
eoe wrote:
When did he call Pennsylvanians bigots? Shocked

Obama stated: they cling to ....antipathy to people who aren't like them

What do you think he meant?
0 Replies

snood

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:59 pm
real life wrote:
eoe wrote:
When did he call Pennsylvanians bigots? Shocked

Obama stated: they cling to ....antipathy to people who aren't like them

What do you think he meant?

I think he meant that in hard financial times, people become bitter, and they are moved by anxiety to be more prone to be fearful and suspicious of people who aren't "like them".

I think it's simply a fact that poor whites and poor blacks and poor any kinds of people become clannish and defensive when they feel their livings are threatened.

It would be a common sense no-brainer for anyone not scraping furiously for any negative thing they can dredge about a candidate they long since decided they would be against.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:59 pm
nimh wrote:
Way I see it, y'all are just angling for problems now, eagerly embracing any shred of evidence that Obama is really, however likable he seemed, a bad, bad man.
And making fools of themselves in the process. Notice how the conviction of "how bad this is for Obama" evaporates when a wager is offered. Desperate timesÂ…, I suppose.
0 Replies

okie

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:01 pm
nimh wrote:
Again, this is what he said:

Quote:
"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

He did not say that the only reason people would be religious is cause they're bitter - hell, he's religious himself. He did not say that the only reason people have guns is cause they're bitter. Thats just plain not what he said.

It's like as if I would point at some girls I got to know and said, they sure had a hard life, no wonder they drink a fair bit; and Okie would tell me off because I'm suggesting that anybody who drinks a beer must have had a f*cked up life.

Sorry, nimh, I think you are defending the statements because you are a supporter. Read the sentences again. I think he insulted alot of people.

... they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Sorry, nimh, but that is an insult. People don't cling to guns or religion because they are bitter. That is utter and complete nonsense in my opinion. And people have antipathy toward illegal immigrants, nimh, because the law is not being enforced, good grief, get a grip.
0 Replies

okie

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:05 pm
nimh wrote:
okie wrote:
People have guns because they are bitter? Preposterous. People are religious because they are bitter? Bizarre. People are against illegal immigration because they are bitter?

Not exactly, but close.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:07 pm
Well, I used to live in one of those towns in PA that Obama is talking about, and I have to say he gets it. People are bitter and frustrated and cynical. And the government in PA, both state and local, is such a clusterf*** of corruption, nepotism, favoritism and every other ism that exists to make government inefficient and oppressive that it's hard to imagine that it could be any better.

If you read everything he said, you'll see that he was 1) speaking about why his message was resisted in some of these areas (hard to accept a message of hope and change when you've been living without either for so long) and 2) making the case that those people aren't racist (people say it's because of race but it's not, it's really about cynicism). I haven't checked in in a while, did somebody already post the full context of his remarks? I can get them if not.
0 Replies

okie

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:08 pm
Another comment, O Bill has been one to make the illegal immigration issue into a racial issue rather than one of just the enforcement of immigration laws, and here again Obama is doing the same thing. I think they are both dead wrong. I find it repugnant that some people always have to make every issue one of race, and it really may serve to illustrate their own mindset more than what exists with the rest of us.
0 Replies

fishin

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:15 pm
nimh wrote:
okie wrote:

You are correct. IMO, some of his supporters (like "astral66" that wrote the piece that was posted here) however are implying that what okie is saying is correct.

People in PA hunt squirrel and deer to eat and they cut firewood to heat their homes! OMG!

I have no doubt that some do. Contrary to astral66's piece though, I know people in PA (including my own brother-in-law) that have been doing excatly that for the last 30 years. I've got news for her (I presume astral66 is a woman); Contrary to the notion put forth by PETA, there isn't very much "sport hunting" where people shoot animals and leave them to rot in the woods. Most people that hunt eat what they shoot. And in PA where both wood and coal are fairly plentiful at cheap prices, it isn't surprising to find people heating their homes with them. People heat their homes with wood right here in Greater Boston too. In fact it is being pushed as a "green" alternative to burning heating oil.

Undoubtedly, there are some that have moved to that lifestyle because of financial pressures. But the original piece makes it sound like everyone that does it is in dire straights and forced to it and that isn't true either.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:16 pm
okie wrote:
Another comment, O Bill has been one to make the illegal immigration issue into a racial issue rather than one of just the enforcement of immigration laws, and here again Obama is doing the same thing. I think they are both dead wrong. I find it repugnant that some people always have to make every issue one of race, and it really may serve to illustrate their own mindset more than what exists with the rest of us.
A giant straw man followed by "I know you are but what am I?" Rolling Eyes

(I keep forgetting you're incapable of better.)

How about that wager?
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:36 pm
okie wrote:
Sorry, nimh, I think you are defending the statements because you are a supporter. Read the sentences again. I think he insulted alot of people.

... they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Sorry, nimh, but that is an insult.

Okie - in that sentence that you so conveniently cut the first half off of, who is meant by "they"? What does it refer back to, in that first part you've deleted?

The "they" in this sentence, is it all Christians? All gunowners?

No? Then your claim about what he said is void.

Does the "they," instead, refer to the specific people he is describing in places like West-PA? People who are often rightly bitter because they've seen their jobs disappear, their communities go to rot, and who therefore cling all the more strongly to the few certainties they do still have? The few things they will not let people take away, their religion, their guns?

Oh yes, it does! Cause here's the first part of that para again: "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter ..."

So he wasnt talking about all Christians, he wasnt saying that anyone who has a gun must be bitter - he was talking about these specific people! Their problems, the life they've faced.

Right? So no, your argument that Obama was somehow implying that the only reason people would be religious, or want to have a gun, or be against illegal immigration, is because they're bitter, is void. It's just not remotely what he said.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:59 pm
I don't think this statement of Obama's is a very big deal. It is a minor political misstep that, in another season wouldn't get much notice, but which during a hard fought campaign will quickly become grist for the political mill - as has occurred.

The statement was a bit condescending, and it is interesting that he made it before a friendly crowd of affluent liberals in Northern California, and not before the small-town Pennsylvania voters who were the real subject of the comments, and to whom they were presumably more relevant.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:00 pm
Just for the entertainment value. http://www.bittervoters.org/
0 Replies