blatham

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:11 pm
Jesus Keerist in Heaven! (or not)... the atheists are coming! the atheists are coming!

Michael Medved helpfully points us to the danger that attends breaking the barriers of race and gender in a political contest.

Quote:
Now that we've broken barriers with history's first viable female and African-American candidates, opponents of organized religion hope for a new campaign in which a brave politician makes a credible run for the highest office even while proclaiming his non-belief.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/MichaelMedved/2008/04/09/americans_are_right_to_resist_an_atheist_as_president?page=full&comments=true
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
I cannot wait for the first atheist. President.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:36 pm
maporsche wrote:
I cannot wait for the first atheist. President.

Of course you can't, you degraded piece of * %66. Then what?! What follows after that? A homo? A Frenchman?! A Muslim? A monkey or even an Alpha Centauran? This is judge the edge of the wedge...you mark Medved's words, you good for nothing...
0 Replies

okie

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:00 pm
Next thing you know, a canadian in a red mountie suit might want to run for president, now that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
kickycan wrote:
you see all liberals as evil demons from hell.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

OK, that was funny.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:24 pm
Some campaign news from the trail - just for a taste of how different the focus of attention is out there among the mainstream of the campaign from here on the internet forums, where the hardcore geeks and partisans gather, with their eternal focus on whatever the latest hype is.

Out there,"it's the economy, stupid" - and if you dont believe me, check out this graph.

Quote:
Obama rips McCain in Gary

White House hopeful Barack Obama told an almost-hometown crowd in Gary on Thursday that he was their best shot at reviving the economy, bringing jobs back to northwest Indiana, and fixing the crumbling roads and bridges here.

Though the polls show him locked in a tight May 6 Democratic primary race with Hillary Clinton, he never mentioned her by name. Instead, Obama focused on Republican nominee John McCain, criticizing the Arizona senator's position on the Iraq War and on the mortgage foreclosure relief plan McCain released Thursday.

"Sen. McCain is making some proposals about how to deal with our housing crisis," Obama said. "Sen. McCain's solution to the housing crisis seems a lot like the George Bush solution, which is to sit by and hope it passes by while families face foreclosure and watch the value of their homes erode."

McCain would spend less than Obama and Clinton but would offer federal help to some homeowners facing foreclosure. Obama would create a $10 billion fund to bail out families who can't pay their mortgages and another $10 billion fund to give to local governments to help them deal with the mortgage foreclosure crisis.

Obama told the crowd at Roosevelt High School --alma mater of the the older members of the Jackson 5 -- about his work 20 years ago helping workers laid off from the nearby steel mills.

"Thousands of people have been laid off," Obama said. "Many of you here in the room lived through those hard times and are still living through it today . . . health care, college, a gallon of milk, a gallon of gas, have all shot up and you are feeling the pinch."

Lake County, Ind., Commissioner Roosevelt Allen told Obama Northwest Indiana's sidewalks, streets, buildings and bridges are "crumbling." Obama said he would spend $60 billion building up the nation's infrastructure.

Obama exhorted parents to do a better job parenting before they blame schools for their children's problems: "Parents, if you don't parent, we can't [fix that] in school. ... Fathers, be fathers. Be a part of your child's life and try to make them proud. If your child is misbehaving at school, don't curse out the teacher."

Obama is on a four-day swing through Indiana before heading back to Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:02 pm
Obama makes a molehill out of a mountain

link
Huffington Post and others tried to capitalize on this earlier, an out-of-context quote from Obama supposedly characterizing rural Pennsylvanians as bitter, gun-totin' nutballs. If you read the original quote in context, you'll see how Jake Tapper et al. could carve it up for cheap hits on a slow Friday.

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Having been set up for easy lay-ups, both Team Magoo and No. 2 went in for some easy points by issuing snarkments on this non-story.

Well, Sen. Obama slaps them both down with his just-issued response to it all:

...I made this statement -- so, here's what rich. Senator Clinton says 'No, I don't think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania. You know, I think Barack's being condescending.' John McCain says, 'Oh, how could he say that? How could he say people are bitter? You know, he's obviously out of touch with people.'

Out of touch? Out of touch? I mean, John McCain -- it took him three tries to finally figure out that the home foreclosure crisis was a problem and to come up with a plan for it, and he's saying I'm out of touch? Senator Clinton voted for a credit card-sponsored bankruptcy bill that made it harder for people to get out of debt after taking money from the financial services companies, and she says I'm out of touch? No, I'm in touch. I know exactly what's going on. I know what's going on in Pennsylvania. I know what's going on in Indiana. I know what's going on in Illinois. People are fed-up. They're angry and they're frustrated and they're bitter. And they want to see a change in Washington and that's why I'm running for President of the United States of America.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:12 pm
Smart framing by Obama on the stump:

Quote:
Obama was in eastern Pennsylvania, bracketing his day with appearances at high schools in Malvern and Levittown. At the gleaming Great Valley High School in Malvern, Obama urged the largely white crowd to support investment in the education of all students, not just their own.

"Half the workforce is going to be black or brown" in a few decades, Obama said. "If those kids are not educated . . . they're the ones who are supposed to be paying our Social Security. If we haven't taken care of them, they won't take care of us."

link
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:25 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Quote:
If you read the original quote in context, you'll see how Jake Tapper et al. could carve it up for cheap hits on a slow Friday.

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Having been set up for easy lay-ups, both Team Magoo and No. 2 went in for some easy points by issuing snarkments on this non-story.

Well, Sen. Obama slaps them both down with his just-issued response to it all:

...I made this statement -- so, here's what rich. Senator Clinton says 'No, I don't think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania. You know, I think Barack's being condescending.'

Eh. Well, it does sound condescending. Even in the full quote given here. <shrugs>

I mean, I understand what he's saying, and substantively he's just right. But does it have to come out that much like a professor pontificating about those workers, why they think the way they do?

But, admitted, good recovery here in the rest of the thing:

Quote:
John McCain says, 'Oh, how could he say that? How could he say people are bitter? You know, he's obviously out of touch with people.' Out of touch? Out of touch? I mean, John McCain -- it took him three tries to finally figure out that the home foreclosure crisis was a problem and to come up with a plan for it, and he's saying I'm out of touch? [..] No, I'm in touch. I know exactly what's going on. [..] People are fed-up. They're angry and they're frustrated and they're bitter. And they want to see a change in Washington and that's why I'm running for President of the United States of America.

Right on. Good for him for plugging into the rising anger and economic discontent.

(P.S. But, but but - on a stylistic note again - "No, I'm in touch. I know exactly what's going on. I know what's going on in Pennsylvania. I know what's going on in Indiana. I know what's going on in Illinois" - the man does need to keep a grip on how arrogant he occasionally comes across. Could be his undoing.)
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
nimh wrote:
(...how arrogant he occasionally comes across. Could be his undoing.)

Occasionally? Occasionally?

[/frustration]
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
Yeah well, but you support Hillary - and she's a lot more arrogant still. For random example of the day, did you see this? (Seriously, who does she think she is?)
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:50 pm
nimh wrote:
Yeah well, but you support Hillary - and she's a lot more arrogant still. For random example of the day, did you see this? (Seriously, who does she think she is?)

Yeah, she's arrogant.

Two wrongs do make right.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:13 pm
I want the President of the US to be a little bit arrogant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:46 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Obama makes a molehill out of a mountain

Aside from the fact that there hasn't been a singular (let alone plural) administration succeeding the Bush administration (which last time I checked was still in place), there is nothing wrong with Obama acknowledging that folks in economically depressed or even stagnant regions have reason to be displeased.

It is quite another thing to define that displeasure in the terms Obama used.

First of all, since when is clinging to guns, clinging to religion, bigotry and protectionism interchangeable?

Secondly, since when is clinging to religion a sure sign of bitterness?

Thirdly, the clear implication in Obama's remarks is that the folks in these towns, are gun toting, bigoted, xenophobic and protectionist religious zealots to begin with, and he is merely explaining why such a sorry state is understandable.

All the smarmy retorts he has mustered in the face of his opponents obviously gleeful exploitation of his incredibly insensitive comments have hardly swept this screw-up under the rug. Only his most passionate supporters are able to fashion goggles that let them see it in such a way.

These comments were pre-planned. They were not an off the cuff gaffe. When a candidate delivers comments to which he gave prior thought, they are entirely reliable as indications of his thinking.

Clearly, Obama believes an appreciation for guns is a bad thing, born of bitter frustration. Not much of a surprise, but is it a surprise that he also believes that a reliance on religion is a product of the same negative emotion? This from the man who falls all over himself to lay claim to the virtues of Christianity and a solid position in his Church.

Somehow I suspect that we could dig up comments from the same person that suggest bigotry and xenophobia are not justified by personal misfortune, and if we can't, that certainly tells us something too.

The more The Expected One tries to speak in other than mindless platitudes, the more his deficiencies are revealed. Better for him to stick to the Revivalist Tent Meetings, and lay off any forum that requires him to actually address specific issues.

Finally, his pathetic "I know you are but what am I?" responses to Clinton and McCain further reveal there is really nothing special about this guy, and certainly nothing that departs from politics as usual.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:02 am
Yeah, Finn - I see your point perfectly clearly. "Nothing special about this guy".

Certainly not compared to what we've had in there for the last 7 years.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
Uh Oh, Obama is unbeatable now.
Luke Skywalker has endorsed him.

http://www.thepresidentialcandidates.us/luke-skywalker-endorses-barack-obama/325/
0 Replies

maporsche

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:12 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, Finn - I see your point perfectly clearly. "Nothing special about this guy".

Certainly not compared to what we've had in there for the last 7 years.

We shouldn't have to settle for simply being better than Bush Snood. As a country we should expect,....no demand, better.

Maybe what you guys see in Obama is real, and he'll be a great leader. I don't think it will happen, but I'll be pleased to be proven wrong. I hate to agree with Finn here, the more this guy gets into details the worse he looks.

Better than McCain? Maybe.
Better than Bush? OF COURSE.
0 Replies

real life

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:19 am
mysteryman wrote:
Uh Oh, Obama is unbeatable now.
Luke Skywalker has endorsed him.

http://www.thepresidentialcandidates.us/luke-skywalker-endorses-barack-obama/325/

Actually the Farce has been with Obama for a while now.

Barry's recent remarks about how voters are 'bitter, clinging to their religion' is sure to go over well.

How does this guy fit both feet in his mouth?

We're in for some real comedy if he's elected.

I wonder if he considers Pastor Wright's racist brand of religion also to be 'clinging to bitterness'?

So why did he stay for 20 years?

Why did he force his children to be taught by bitter Dr Wright?

If Obama thinks he's going to be accepted as some sort of authority on proper religion after the whole Wright fiasco, he ought to think again (if he has thought at all).
0 Replies

snood

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:25 am
http://www.mnwxchaser.com/beating-a-dead-horse.gif
0 Replies

real life

Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:41 am
Yeah, you'd like to think so snood.

But Obama's holier than thou attitude wont let the issue of religion go away, will it?

We're gonna get constant reminders from him about how 'above it all' he is, and how bad we are if we don't agree with him.

His comments yesterday may damage him far more than anything Wright said because they confirm what the Wright comments made them suspect.

His religiously bigoted remarks will haunt him.
0 Replies