nimh

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:38 am
maporsche wrote:
Of course it was McCain's point. Good post O'Bill, you're proving that you don't see EVERYTHING through liberal colored glasses.

Ha ha! Laughing

Umm, Maporsche, you have a lot to learn about people. Maybe not jump to conclusions so easily. Just because somebody is for Obama doesnt make him a liberal partisan. O'Bill is to the right of a majority of posters here.

I well remember -- like this: Evil or Very Mad -- his endless, agreessive ridiculing of Democrats and liberals throughout most of this decade, his visceral hatred of Kerry (comparable to his disdain for Edwards now), his cheering on of the Iraq war, and policies of military intervention in general, for years, the way he treated us liberals like a bunch of wimps. It wasnt pretty.

Not to mention his tales of teenage passion for Ronald Reagan and tearing Dem yardsigns out.. :wink:

I sometimes think Bill is rather not reminded too much of all the things he said back in, say, 2003, but we remember... That's OK tho, he's got a heart of gold.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:43 am
nimh wrote:
I well remember -- like this: Evil or Very Mad -- his endless, agreessive ridiculing of Democrats and liberals throughout most of this decade, his visceral hatred of Kerry (comparable to his disdain for Edwards now), his cheering on of the Iraq war, and policies of military intervention in general, for years, the way he treated us liberals like a bunch of wimps. It wasnt pretty.

I beg to differ. It were a thing o' beauty.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:46 am
maporsche wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That was McCain's point... which was easily understood by intelligent beings. Why strike such an easy target with such nonsense?

Of course it was McCain's point. Good post O'Bill, you're proving that you don't see EVERYTHING through liberal colored glasses.

Shocked

<snicker>
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:43 am
Re: Obama '08?
In my original post here, when I said:

sozobe wrote:

Bipartisan appeal: [Obama] did amazing work in connecting to Republicans in Illinois, and has gotten a good reaction among many Republicans I know.

Bill was one of the people I had in mind (even though he's not a Republican per se). We kinda live-blogged the 2004 Dem convention together here, and I was impressed that he was impressed with Obama. O'Bill! In the context nimh cites, that was a big deal. And the O'Bills of America are the ones we need to win the election.

I know he likes McCain, too, though.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
Quote:
And the O'Bills of America are the ones we need to win the election.

Yuppers.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
Ann (I'm a Christian) Coulter...
Quote:
If characters from "The Hills" were to emote about race, I imagine it would sound like B. Hussein Obama's autobiography, "Dreams From My Father."

Has anybody read this book? Inasmuch as the book reveals Obama to be a flabbergasting lunatic, I gather the answer is no. Obama is about to be our next president: You might want to take a peek. If only people had read "Mein Kampf" ...
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/AnnCoulter/2008/04/03/obamas_dimestore_mein_kampf
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 12:03 pm
Quote:
Is Rove Behind McCain's Tour?
04 Apr 2008 03:39 pm

Was John McCain's 'round the country biography tour Karl Rove's idea?

On Feb. 20, Rove spoke at the University of Pennsylvania, and, in response to a question, here's one of the things he said when asked what he would tell McCain to do, as recounted in the notes of my source "G," a reliable man of integrity whose note taking abilities I vouch for.

Quote:
Said Rove:

"McCain needs to focus on defining himself. First and more important, McCain needs to understand that no one in the country really knows who the guy is. He's a war hero and ran for president eight years ago. But they don't know a lot about him. He needs to seize the opportunity to reintroduce himself."

Not sold yet? Keep reading...

Quote:
"He should take a biographical tour to the places in the country that have made him who he is. Go to the Naval Academy and talk about the values he learned there. Then he should go to Pensalcola, Florida and Corpus Christi, Texas where he was trained as a naval aviator, and talk from the heart and the call to service. Go to Meridien, Mississippi and Jacksonville, Florida and talk about what he learned about leadership commanding the largest naval air squadron in the United States. He should go to wherever it was that he first stepped foot back in the United States after the Vietnam War and meet with his POW buddies and talk about what he learned about character when he sat in that cell in hell. And he should give a speech in Sedona, Arizona and talk about the people and places in his hometown that affected him."
(McCain's speaking in Prescott, AZ, not Sedona, but close enough.)

When the moderator told Rove that McCain should call him for advice, Rove replied: "Who says he hasn't?"

It's not news that Rove is informally advising McCain; but will history record that McCain's bio your has its roots in ... strategery?
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/i_think_the_mccain_round.php
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
If characters from "The Hills" were to emote about race, I imagine it would sound like B. Hussein Obama's autobiography, "Dreams From My Father."

Has anybody read this book? Inasmuch as the book reveals Obama to be a flabbergasting lunatic, I gather the answer is no. Obama is about to be our next president: You might want to take a peek. If only people had read "Mein Kampf" ...
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/AnnCoulter/2008/04/03/obamas_dimestore_mein_kampf

She did it here too...

Quote:
On Hannity & Colmes, Coulter again made Obama-Hitler comparison, said Clinton "would enjoy torturing" detainees
On Hannity & Colmes, Ann Coulter stated of Sen. Barack Obama: "He's a dime store Mein Kampf." Co-host Alan Colmes then asked if Obama "is a two-bit Hitler," to which Coulter responded, "[Y]es."
http://mediamatters.org/

But she's really just a comic, so there's no problem. And it's so funny too.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 12:32 pm
Good grief...she's not alone in this

Quote:
Other conservative pundits have made Hitler references when talking about Obama. As Media Matters noted, on the February 11 broadcast of Fox News Radio's Tom Sullivan Show, host Tom Sullivan aired what he called a "side-by side comparison" of a Hitler speech and an Obama speech. On the February 22 edition of CNN Headline News' Glenn Beck, National Review Online editor-at-large Jonah Goldberg compared Obama and former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to Hitler.
http://mediamatters.org/items/200804040005?f=h_top
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 02:09 pm
blatham wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

She did it here too...

Quote:
On Hannity & Colmes, Coulter again made Obama-Hitler comparison, said Clinton "would enjoy torturing" detainees
On Hannity & Colmes, Ann Coulter stated of Sen. Barack Obama: "He's a dime store Mein Kampf." Co-host Alan Colmes then asked if Obama "is a two-bit Hitler," to which Coulter responded, "[Y]es."
http://mediamatters.org/

But she's really just a comic, so there's no problem. And it's so funny too.

False. She is actually a man. Coulter's pride pushes the her/his nose in the air, raises the jawline and reveals a adam's apple.

Maybe we should read books by the Promise Keepers...

T
K
O
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 03:37 pm
nimh wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Ha ha! Laughing

Umm, Maporsche, you have a lot to learn about people. Maybe not jump to conclusions so easily. Just because somebody is for Obama doesnt make him a liberal partisan. O'Bill is to the right of a majority of posters here.

Not exactly. I have had no visceral hatred of Kerry. I never liked him much, but that's mostly because I could not predict a single thing the weathervane might do. If memory serves; I only once referred to him as a scumbag... and that was when it appeared briefly that he would refuse to concede his obvious loss. That would have been pretty scummy. Edwards, on the other hand, I've consistently referred to as a scumbag; because that's what he is. My reasons for believing so haven't changed one iota.

I stand by my backing of the war, and still believe it should have been nothing but a good start... an example for every other vicious tyrant out there. The prosecution of the war has been terrible, of course, but that doesn't mean it wasn't work that needed to be done. I have no confidence in how best to proceed from here... though I know in my heart it would be wrong to turn our backs on the Iraqis again.

I also don't believe I was as harsh as you describe on liberals in general. You and Soz are facsimilistic to my sister and bro-in-law... who I love and respect a great deal. I'd like to think I treat those worthy of respect with respect... and reserve my unreserved bashing for peeps who share your ideology but not your intellect or your respectful demeanor.

nimh wrote:
Not to mention his tales of teenage passion for Ronald Reagan and tearing Dem yardsigns out.. :wink:
You have a fine memory. Good times, that was. Razz

nimh wrote:
I sometimes think Bill is rather not reminded too much of all the things he said back in, say, 2003, but we remember... That's OK tho, he's got a heart of gold.
You are mistaken. While I have altered my opinions from time to time, and occasionally have to do a straight about face when presented with superior arguments... I can think of no thread I wouldn't stand by; save those where I've already admitted my errors in judgment.

Thanks all for correcting Maporsche's silly outburst; but that was no sillier than the plethora of fools pretending McCain said something he didn't. This type of idiocy has never shown loyalty to a particular political party. It is just plain stupid. Roughly equivalent to suggestions that Obama is a secret Muslim.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 03:40 pm
Get over it, Bill. Favre has retired. Your animosity is showing through.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Get over it, Bill. Favre has retired. Your animosity is showing through.
Probably true... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
bill

I do prefer this picture of you rather than the cheese thing. But I'd been meaning to ask, in this new one, is there someone behind you doing something?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 04:20 pm
blatham wrote:
bill

I do prefer this picture of you rather than the cheese thing. But I'd been meaning to ask, in this new one, is there someone behind you doing something?
I think it's this one...

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2429/bkrpickf6.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 5 Apr, 2008 07:31 pm
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/04/05/my_fellow_clintonites_its_time_for_obama/

Quote:
My fellow Clintonites, it's time for Obama
By Tripp Jones
April 5, 2008

FOR SUPPORTERS of Senator Hillary Clinton, like me, it's time to get behind her rival, Senator Barack Obama.

more stories like thisThe exposure of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.'s outrageous and divisive remarks has injected the raw emotions associated with race relations into the presidential campaign. This new dynamic raises the stakes in an already high-stakes race. Our responsibility as progressive-minded voters is to show Americans a positive alternative to the toxic politics of race. Rallying around Obama now increases our chances of doing just that. Obama has run a positive and inspiring campaign, and has attracted a majority of pledged delegates. It is hard to envision a scenario in which Democratic superdelegates override the will of millions of primary voters and caucus participants. Obama will be the nominee.

Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Wright presents Republicans with a polarizing wedge issue to exploit with general election voters. This approach not only risks an Obama loss in November - denying us a fresh, capable leader - but it would set the country back in its racial reconciliation process. Americain 2008 should be better than that.

As we have done at many key junctures in our nation's history, Democrats and other progressive-minded voters must lead the way. The current firestorm is an opportunity to move beyond the anger and resentment that have characterized our nation's dialogue on race. By throwing our enthusiastic support behind Obama now, voters of all political stripes can echo the candidate's refrain, "Not this time."

There have been many moments in our history when we failed to heed that call. Twenty years ago, as a staffer of Governor Michael Dukakis's presidential campaign, I observed the use of the now-famous "Willie Horton" ad to undermine a good man's character, fan the flames of racial division and distract voters from the most important issues of the time.

Not this time. We have an opportunity to show that we have learned from our mistakes. The first step, which Obama took in his recent speech on race, was to condemn Wright's offensive rhetoric.

The second step is in our hands: Strengthen Obama as the Democratic nominee by uniting behind him now. Amplify his postpartisan message to American voters. Families in Pennsylvania, like those across America, are feeling insecure about their jobs, healthcare, their children's education, and the safety of the nation. They want leaders to be bold and practical in addressing our most serious challenges, and to work across party lines to achieve results. Obama promises to do that.

Those of us who have supported Clinton and continue to believe that she would be an excellent president can play an important part in moving our nation forward by supporting Obama. We can spread the word that he offers the right leadership for these challenging times.

Our support would send a powerful message that the United States is headed in a new direction - on race relations, certainly, but perhaps most importantly, on what it means to be an American.

Is it just a coincidence that Hillary's "supporter" is named "Tripp" "Jones" (Linda Tripp/Paula Jones)?

Guess it is. Here's his bio:

http://www.massinc.org/index.php?id=149
0 Replies

revel

Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:11 am
Nice looking wife; Bill, you all look happy.

If I recall correctly; I remember the Jodie Foster movie; your main reasons for supporting the invasion of Iraq was because of the suffering of the Iraqi people. All well and good. However; what about the suffering under other dictatorships, one that comes to mind is one no body talks about Darfur in Sudan which is way more critical now and then that Iraq war at the time of the invasion. I know the standard answer; just because you can't go after everybody doesn't mean you can't go after at least one bad dictator. My question; why start with the Iraq? Why not North Korea, Darfur or Saudi Arabia where the women are really oppressed?

My point is that we are not a world police; we should only respond to current dire situations such as actual genocides or the like which was not happening on a recognizable scale of genocide in Iraq at the time we invaded in 2003.

You say we shouldn't abandon them now I assume for the same ultraistic reasons; I don't doubt you I believe you sincere, but we running the risk of putting our military readiness under stress (we already have in fact); how would long would you support such effort if things don't improve enough to leave?

Anyway; didn't mean to distract from the thread; but it was brought up here and it is easier to respond to things where they are brought up in my opinion.

Again I apologize for the change in topic for the thread
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:26 am
revel, It's not only in Sudan, but many parts of this world. Even the Chinese (the largest population on this planet) are controlled with an iron fist. There is no way the US can even consider bringing democracy to those parts of the world that suffer from dictatorships and other forms of militaristic control of the population. We're only five percent of the world population; it's logistically impossible to help everyone; not through our military force.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:38 am
Roxxanne,
Whether she/he be Black, White or other, truly understands, what's going on as far as race in America, the impact it has on the economy, perceived American Dream, since it hasn't reached the masses of Blacks/Whites/Women or other minority, while politicians pretend it doesn't exist, until a Rev. Wright, places a bug up a few a$$es, then "guilt-ridden or "guilty" parties, beat their breasts about who is and who isn't racist, bigoted, etc., making sure the light isn't trained on them! Those that say, hey, I'm not responsible, doesn't mean it doesn't STILL exist, etc. It was people like Richard Milhous Nixon and his followers, pissed off because of Water Gate, that has produced the "gotcha" society we have, led to an impeachment of an immoral perhaps individual, but didn't predicate an impeachment for high crimes and misdeameanors; only in personal judgment, which isn't any of our business, to quote Chelsea, who couldn't have said it better; "it isn't ANY of your business", Mr. Gingrich, Vitter, Guiliani, and others who set a high standard for Clinton, while behind closed doors committed HIGH HYPOCRISY, THOSE upstanding hypocrites!

Yeah, that's why we have an idiot sitting in the white house and his cabinet of crooks, that send YOUR kids to fight a war, that shouldn't have been started in the first place, now, have wasted so much of our treasury in human life, blew the surplus, Bill Clinton amassed, but the poor catching hell, because of it. So while I applaud Clinton for closing the deficit, he did it at the expense of those helpless to prevent it. The Clintons, 2 "in the closet", far right moderates, if not conservatives, that believe in America for Whites only and everybody else are the "schitt", under their soles!
Yeah, I said it! Now make a liar out of me! Cool
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:42 am
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah, I said it! Now make a liar out of me! Cool

I'm not sure what you said, other than it sounded like more of your "whitey is out to get the black man" BS you like to spew.
0 Replies